Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 11:56 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I'm not a gold digger so therefore gold diggers do not exist.

See how that works?

The majority of men are good men but that doesn't mean that women shouldn't be careful. I've had guys put their hands all over me when I didn't want them to, I've been scared walking home, I've had a guy arrested for looking at me through my window. Like I said before - unwanted attention isn't always a good thing. It can be annoying, dangerous, or life threatening. This isn't to say that men do not experience the same thing - it just isn't as common.
I've had women make me uncomfortable because their energy was so masculine. I told them to leave me alone because I don't want a manly woman. Aren't you married? Tell those guys to f**k off if you feel uncomfortable or call the cops.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I've never read a biology book that touched on the subjects of alpha/beta in the human race. And I studied advanced biology throughout high school and college. Can you recommend some notable text books?
My familiarity with biology is risibly limited, so with no reservations I defer to those who have studied it professionally. With that, a few questions:

1. Are there any fairly universal mating-trends amongst the higher mammals (Great Apes, other primates, herd-animals such as sheep; pack-animals such as wolves)?

2. To what extent ought we to suppose that human behavior, and in particular human mating behavior, is fundamentally different from that of other higher mammals? In other words, is it a continuum, or are humans qualitatively distinct?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM

203 posts, read 178,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ah, so you haven't studied biology. Got it. Nor are your beliefs really supported by the biological research literature on species mating, it is just what you want to believe in your head. Got it.

And amazingly, most everyone in this world is a mix of a lot of different traits that come out in different situations and almost no one falls into any just one category. You're seeing what you want to see to validate your own pre-determined beliefs. There isn't any real objective scientific basis for it.
ok, just assume I mean masculine. Of course everyone has a mix of traits, and its a matter of scale not absolutes. However, I am a man who has been depressingly unsuccessful in dating as well as wildly successful and I know from my own experiences, what works and what doesn't.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Aren't you married? Tell those guys to f**k off if you feel uncomfortable.
I'm not sure if you are really just that naive of if you are being deliberately obtuse. This things have happened over the years - not just since I've been married. Most of them happened way before I was married. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell someone to f**k off when I have no idea that he's looking at me through my window. And one of the guys that was putting his hands all over me was a fellow employee on my first day of work at a new job when I was 19. Luckily, he was fired shortly after I started working there - but I had no idea what to do. I was scared and didn't want to be a problem right after I got hired. My point is that unwanted attention is not always a good thing. Careful what you wish for.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are really just that naive of if you are being deliberately obtuse. This things have happened over the years - not just since I've been married. Most of them happened way before I was married. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell someone to f**k off when I have no idea that he's looking at me through my window. And one of the guys that was putting his hands all over me was a fellow employee on my first day of work at a new job when I was 19. Luckily, he was fired shortly after I started working there - but I had no idea what to do. I was scared and didn't want to be a problem right after I got hired. My point is that unwanted attention is not always a good thing. Careful what you wish for.
Sometimes I'm happy I don't receive attention women. Then again, I'm not that outgoing anyways. Too much attention would tire me out. Sorry that happened to you.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:11 PM

72 posts, read 67,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
This is not unique to this forum this is life. I can't tell you how many women I hear how come I never attract guys I'm into, how come I only attract jerks, etc.
That's because there's only so many 6"2+ men with a good looking face and good jobs to go around. Less than 1% of guys.

When you have 99% of women going for 1% of guys, obviously the rest will be complaining.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My familiarity with biology is risibly limited, so with no reservations I defer to those who have studied it professionally. With that, a few questions:

1. Are there any fairly universal mating-trends amongst the higher mammals (Great Apes, other primates, herd-animals such as sheep; pack-animals such as wolves)?

There really aren't. There are trends in what are called K selected and R selected species (but just trends). Larger, longer living mammals TEND to be heavily K selected. They tend to have longer time to maturity, fewer young, a higher percentage reach adulthood, and the young tend to be altricial. These are elephants, wolves, the great apes, etc.

R selected tend to be the opposite. More precocial young, they have more offspring, higher death rates pre sexual maturity, younger sexual maturity age.

But like everything, these aren't absolutes and there are tendencies and most things are a continuum.

For mating systems however it can be all over, from the leks for our native chickens, to seal species, to some herd antelope... or harems (some seals, some camel relatives (I think the alpaca? maybe llama?), or monogamy or polygamy (lions)... its is really all over. I do think the more R selected species with the precocial young are more likely to have less involved (understandably) males in the rearing, if there is any rearing done at all.

The only polyandry other than the debatable examples within some human cultures, that I know about, are phalaropes.

Humans might be the most interesting as there are so many different mating systems within our species and cultures. That makes sense since we're all over the planet. The main thing that seems to be (or one of the main things) that influences breeding system behavior and the arising (development of?) different systems is the distribution of resources across the landscape. A place like a north american prairie with large (or used to be large) evenly distributed (relatively) resources will often develop different tendencies toward mating systems than a desert environment which the resources are more limited and are patchy over the landscape.

Last edited by timberline742; 01-12-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not a gold digger so therefore gold diggers do not exist.

See how that works?

The majority of men are good men but that doesn't mean that women shouldn't be careful. I've had guys put their hands all over me when I didn't want them to, I've been scared walking home, I've had a guy arrested for looking at me through my window. Like I said before - unwanted attention isn't always a good thing. It can be annoying, dangerous, or life threatening. This isn't to say that men do not experience the same thing - it just isn't as common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabasis X View Post
Its actually a lot more common. Men are far more prone to be attacked / assaulted while out in public. Maybe we should teach all men not to be violent, because as we all know, they are inherently violent, aggressive and evil. Feminism bah.
I'm not sure what you post has to do with my post or even anything at all. What does feminism have to do with this?

The majority of men are good men. As for men being more prone to being attacked/assaulted while out in public - who is assaulting them? Women?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I'm happy I don't receive attention women. Then again, I'm not that outgoing anyways. Too much attention would tire me out. Sorry that happened to you.
Some attention is great! I can feel really good - it can be a wonderful compliment! But the trade off is that you don't get to pick and choose who pays attention to you and in what way. And for the record, I don't consider myself to have been especially unlucky. I have friends with far worse stories than I have. And it's not about how attractive a woman is or her personality or anything. Some women have just been very unlucky.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
I've had women make me uncomfortable because their energy was so masculine. I told them to leave me alone because I don't want a manly woman. Aren't you married? Tell those guys to f**k off if you feel uncomfortable or call the cops.

Some guys handle that really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships