Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 AM

203 posts, read 178,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I think you need to watch the movie Idiocracy, because I think there's some truth to what it describes. And if that's the case, it gives little credence to what you're saying here.
Im familiar with that movie and actually like it a lot. However, IQ is not one of the major traits that women find attractive, or at the very least it is not a trait that women respond to in actual life. This is why I believe you are misunderstanding what Im saying. Intelligence can be sexy, but its hardly a turn on, despite what anyone says. It is not a difference maker in sexual attraction.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabasis X View Post
Im familiar with that movie and actually like it a lot. However, IQ is not one of the major traits that women find attractive, or at the very least it is not a trait that women respond to in actual life. This is why I believe you are misunderstanding what Im saying. Intelligence can be sexy, but its hardly a turn on, despite what anyone says. It is not a difference maker in sexual attraction.

Oh man, what? Seriously. Quite the opposite. Smart, really smart, even socially rather inept really smart dudes get loads of women. Maybe my perspective is off, but living (and having worked in) the MIT and Harvard communities, and then tech start ups, the women a dorky but borderline brilliant guy will pull in is jaw dropping, even if he is financially not great off.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh man, what? Seriously. Quite the opposite. Smart, really smart, even socially rather inept really smart dudes get loads of women. Maybe my perspective is off, but living (and having worked in) the MIT and Harvard communities, and then tech start ups, the women a dorky but borderline brilliant guy will pull in is jaw dropping, even if he is financially not great off.
They are only the "beta bucks" part of the equation and its only half. Some women do find them attractive, but its for their provider ability or future provider potential, not for the sexual attraction itself. These women still long for men who display alpha traits. That part is the "alpha f..." part of the equation, you were missing.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
They are only the "beta bucks" part of the equation and its only half. Some women do find them attractive, but its for their provider ability or future provider potential, not for the sexual attraction itself. These women still long for men who display alpha traits. That part is the "alpha f..." part of the equation, you were missing.

What I think you're missing is that you're pretty full of it and have read too much of that PUA nonsense if you believe in alpha / beta anything.

Intelligence (especially intelligence different than my own) is hot to me as a guy and hot to loads of women and men in general.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times
Quote:
What I think you're missing is that you're pretty full of it and have read too much of that PUA nonsense if you believe in alpha / beta anything.

Intelligence (especially intelligence different than my own) is hot to me as a guy and hot to loads of women and men in general.
I think the alpha/beta arguments are pretty deluded. A lot of dudes who claim to be alpha are in fact extremely insecure and abusive to women. There was a MMA fighter who recently beat his ex-GF near death. He was often ranting and raving about how alpha he was, but it was pretty obvious that he was not by the way he carried himself.

I would not describe myself as alpha in the sense that it's used by the PUA community, and I've been with a good number of women via hook ups and/or relationships. I figured they just liked me because of attraction and we got along well. Certainly not because I walked around acting like I was above other people (the betas).

Old 01-12-2015, 11:12 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite. Smart, really smart, even socially rather inept really smart dudes get loads of women. Maybe my perspective is off, but living (and having worked in) the MIT and Harvard communities, and then tech start ups, the women a dorky but borderline brilliant guy will pull in is jaw dropping, even if he is financially not great off.
I've not observed this. Perhaps a truly brilliant man can overcome his own insecurities and arrive at a successful dating strategy through sheer vigor of mind. But the merely "smart" - your typical university PhD student in engineering, math or science, who's written a couple of papers, but hasn't really established himself as a superstar - will generally struggle with dating. The notable exception is students from South Asia or the Middle East. Shortly after passing his candidacy exam, the fellow disappears from campus for 3-4 weeks. When he reemerges, he's wearing an ear-to-ear grin, and a ring on his finger.

There is also presumably a stark geographic difference. In the Boston area, one would think that many local women have (1) professional careers of their own, and therefore affinity for "smart" men; and (2) there is a vibrant culture of men who are largely ensconced in their laboratories, who excel academically etc., but are not socially adept. So there is both a demand and a supply, and the "economy" of dating works. Place such a man in a coal-mining Appalachian town, and things stand rather differently.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I've not observed this. Perhaps a truly brilliant man can overcome his own insecurities and arrive at a successful dating strategy through sheer vigor of mind. But the merely "smart" - your typical university PhD student in engineering, math or science, who's written a couple of papers, but hasn't really established himself as a superstar - will generally struggle with dating. The notable exception is students from South Asia or the Middle East. Shortly after passing his candidacy exam, the fellow disappears from campus for 3-4 weeks. When he reemerges, he's wearing an ear-to-ear grin, and a ring on his finger.

There is also presumably a stark geographic difference. In the Boston area, one would think that many local women have (1) professional careers of their own, and therefore affinity for "smart" men; and (2) there is a vibrant culture of men who are largely ensconced in their laboratories, who excel academically etc., but are not socially adept. So there is both a demand and a supply, and the "economy" of dating works. Place such a man in a coal-mining Appalachian town, and things stand rather differently.
Could this not be due to the fact that many engineering students are pretty socially awkward? I mean, I know it's a stereotype, but from my observations, it fits. Engineers even mock themselves over this.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Im not much into PUA and never have been. Alpha / Beta concepts are grounded in biology and are widely studied and recognized. Some people prefer to remain ignorant to reality though, and that's ok by me.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Im not much into PUA and never have been. Alpha / Beta concepts are grounded in biology and are widely studied and recognized. Some people prefer to remain ignorant to reality though, and that's ok by me.
I've never read a biology book that touched on the subjects of alpha/beta in the human race. And I studied advanced biology throughout high school and college. Can you recommend some notable text books?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I think the alpha/beta arguments are pretty deluded. A lot of dudes who claim to be alpha are in fact extremely insecure and abusive to women. There was a MMA fighter who recently beat his ex-GF near death. He was often ranting and raving about how alpha he was, but it was pretty obvious that he was not by the way he carried himself.

I would not describe myself as alpha in the sense that it's used by the PUA community, and I've been with a good number of women via hook ups and/or relationships. I figured they just liked me because of attraction and we got along well. Certainly not because I walked around acting like I was above other people (the betas).
Honestly, I normally only use alpha / beta terms as shortcuts, and when relating to general character traits, more so as to describe a person. I know the terms are overused and widely misunderstood. Anyone describing themselves as alpha, usually isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships