Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I found some flawed logic. Childfree people by definition do not desire to have children. Therefore childfree people should not have children. What is this poster's beef with childfree people?
A "childfree" person thinks that no one should have children, and that the human race should die due to lack of procreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
I'm almost 36 and I would LOVE to find a woman who doesn't have kids and doesn't ever want any. 1000 bonus points if she actually can't have kids. This seems to be incredibly rare among women. On the contrary, most men I've known tell me they never really wanted children, they only ended up with them either accidentally or to make their wives happy.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:20 PM

500 posts, read 1,174,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
A "childfree" person thinks that no one should have children, and that the human race should die due to lack of procreation.
Umm, no. The entire human race can have as many children as they want, but I personally have no desire to have or take care of children of my own.

I do believe you're a little delusional regarding the definition of child free. "Free of children = having no children". Has nothing whatsoever to do with your views on other people's decisions.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:20 PM

9,108 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
That is not the definition of childfree. Childfree describes a person who is free of the personal desire to have children. A childfree person does not care whether other people want children or not. That would be irrelevant to many childfree people. What you thinking of as childfree is actually anti-natalism. They are two totally different attitudes.

Antinatalism- The Greatest Taboo

Antinatalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm almost 36 and I would LOVE to find a woman who doesn't have kids and doesn't ever want any. 1000 bonus points if she actually can't have kids. This seems to be incredibly rare among women. On the contrary, most men I've known tell me they never really wanted children, they only ended up with them either accidentally or to make their wives happy.
You have some weird friends

Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Umm, no. The entire human race can have as many children as they want, but I personally have no desire to have or take care of children of my own.
That's not "childfree", that's just "I do not want children".

Quote:
I do believe you're a little delusional regarding the definition of child free. "Free of children = having no children". Has nothing whatsoever to do with your views on other people's decisions.
You must have missed all the threads about "The ChildFree Philosophy" in the philosophy section. I think we had one or two in this section also. There was even a guy making multiple accounts so he could post about it.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
What you thinking of as childfree is actually anti-natalism. They are two totally different attitudes.
Yes but "anti-natalists" also refer to themselves as adhering to "The ChildFree Philosophy".

I could never be with someone who believes in that. That would definitely be something I would ask a potential girlfriend, if she thinks people should have kids if they so desire and have the financial ability to take care of them.

You don't need a special word for not wanting children. When you say "childfree" that is different from saying "I do not want to be a parent".

Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

Also, the cost of an adoption typically costs $20,000-$40,000. So, if you're not generously footing the legal bills, then well, don't bother tooting that horn. Also, the process is far from a "gimmee". Your average sane couple will chance having the insurance they pay for cover a childbirth at a hospital instead.

As possibly bad as some children in the USA have it, they do pretty well compared to those parts of the world where they are enslaved and used as child soldiers or sold into prostitution. I'll wait to see your campaign to combat that stuff.

I really don't need statistics to know that there are too many parents who shouldn't have kids. Just by reading the many threads here it's painfully obvious that many parents failed miserably in teaching their children how to properly interact with other humans.

My campaign? Way too un-PC like of a response for this crowd.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
The real reason?

Gotta say it. A person who defines himself or herself as Childfree By Choice is someone typically enamored his or her own piety.

Hey, I get it. Kids are hard to have. They're expensive, messy, and emotionally consuming. So it's one thing to say, "You know I'm not sure if I want kids." No sweat. Hey, there have been a few times when I daydreamed in an alternative, child-free reality where my wife and I would currently be anchored off Fiji in our nice 50-foot catamaran.

On the other hand, saying "Childfree By Choice" smacks of a political slogan. It's the posturing that's the turnoff as opposed to the preference. It smacks of political correctness. It also implies that the person in question is making the superior moral choice when, in truth, it is an ethically neutral one. I mean, nobody seems to get that, a scant thirty years from now, we're actually going to be looking at global population declines. Russia, Europe, China, Japan, a host of Asian countries, Brazil and the large majority of the industrialized world are registering fertility rates below replacement level. Even India now only has a fertility rate of 2.5, when replacement rate is 2.1.

In short, "Childfree By Choice" is admirable from a distance, but tedious in a relationship for reasons that have nothing to do with one's desire to have children.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-16-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I live in the Bible Belt and I know several people who are in long-term relationships who never want children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships