Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times

Advertisements

Humans dying out is going to be a result of something other than our barring one another somehow from reproducing en masse, methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:49 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Humans dying out is going to be a result of something other than our barring one another somehow from reproducing en masse, methinks.
It'll be from reproducing in mass without educating the byproduct of the dangers of waste, disrespect for the only home we have and lack of knowledge as to why we are the only species that actively destroys its own environment. Or nuclear war, again at the hands of those who choose to read less and assert their stupidity more.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:08 PM

Could be.

But it sure won't be because the militantly child-free successfully legislated and enforced mass sterility/abstinence/abortion whatever worldwide.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,002 times
Quote:
Could be.

But it sure won't be because the militantly child-free successfully legislated and enforced mass sterility/abstinence/abortion whatever worldwide.
I seriously doubt anyones pushing for that.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:01 PM

Me, too, but a few respondents on this thread profess to think otherwise.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times
Quote:
Me, too, but a few respondents on this thread profess to think otherwise.
I'm not saying it is likely I just find the possibility offensive, and I find the philosophy offensive.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:58 PM

9,108 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
It'll be from reproducing in mass without educating the byproduct of the dangers of waste, disrespect for the only home we have and lack of knowledge as to why we are the only species that actively destroys its own environment.
This is why I just shook my head when I read the crap about human beings as the stewards of all life on earth. Someone has to be really sheltered to believe such a thing. Out in the real world I see the majority of humans either abuse of take advantage of animals. I also see plant life being destroyed for the propagation of shallow and materialistic living choices. I won't even delve into the issue that cities are unnatural and that human beings are the only species on earth that can't seem to live within the natural environment without destroying most of it.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
This is why I just shook my head when I read the crap about human beings as the stewards of all life on earth. Someone has to be really sheltered to believe such a thing.
I didn't say we are doing a good job of it. But it is a fact of our existence that we find ourselves as the stewards of life on Earth. Thus we are morally obligated to remain in existence. Thus people, as a species, need to keep having kids.

Some of us would not be well suited. Myself, I just never found myself in the right circumstances to have children, and I'm a little old for it at this point (37). But if someone had loved me back, and I felt like I had the financial ability to raise children, I would have.

Regardless of whether you personally feel that having children would be a good choice in your case, suggesting that no one should ever have kids, so the human race becomes extinct, is offensive to me.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM

9,108 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
...suggesting that no one should ever have kids, so the human race becomes extinct, is offensive to me.
Stop putting words in other people's mouths. I never said the above. I said human beings are not good stewards of the earth and cited examples. I have not come across one person in this thread that has advocated for human extinction yet you keep bringing it up.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I have not come across one person in this thread that has advocated for human extinction yet you keep bringing it up.
In the past we had a lot of threads on this web site talking about how people should stop having kids. People were getting banned, creating new accounts and coming back and posting the same stuff. Especially in the philosophy forum, but in the relationships one too. For example:

It's wrong to have children

It's been my experience that if you press the person who doesn't want kids, they will eventually admit that they would support human extinction.

But as long as you're clear that you feel that people in general should keep having kids, but that you personally don't want one, that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships