Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times

Advertisements

I recall being on a CFBC board long ago. We had to clarify to people the difference of being childfree, CFBC, and childless. Most childless people are people who cannot have children, but wanted them, and eventually gave up trying. Childfree is anyone who doesn't have kids at home (haven't had kids yet, empty nesters, whatevers). CFBC were those that do not want children, including via adoption.

CFBC was never a title or a label, it was a way to explain what your stance was without having to go through the entire paragraph I just wrote. This was 10 years ago, so maybe it's taken on a whole new life of negativity. I would say, every man I have ever dated that was CFBC liked kids or was willing to be with a woman that had a child. I think I am the only one who will fully admit to "yup, don't like kids". Most times, it was us complaining about kids/parents, but nothing about hate.

If CFBC has taken on a whole new life, I'll happily just say, "I'm allergic to children".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I recall being on a CFBC board long ago. We had to clarify to people the difference of being childfree, CFBC, and childless. Most childless people are people who cannot have children, but wanted them, and eventually gave up trying. Childfree is anyone who doesn't have kids at home (haven't had kids yet, empty nesters, whatevers). CFBC were those that do not want children, including via adoption.

CFBC was never a title or a label, it was a way to explain what your stance was without having to go through the entire paragraph I just wrote. This was 10 years ago, so maybe it's taken on a whole new life of negativity. I would say, every man I have ever dated that was CFBC liked kids or was willing to be with a woman that had a child. I think I am the only one who will fully admit to "yup, don't like kids". Most times, it was us complaining about kids/parents, but nothing about hate.

If CFBC has taken on a whole new life, I'll happily just say, "I'm allergic to children".

Thank you. CFBC is a way to answer the inevitable"WHY?" when you explain that you do not have children.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 PM

500 posts, read 1,174,592 times
OP here.

My use of the term Child Free By Choice was in direct response to the other thread titled Single Moms. And also the shortest way to explain what I meant in the short space we're given for a title.

I can't say I've ever actually used the term IRL.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I hear ya. This is more of a problem in the "Bible Belt" than it is other places, with you being in Dallas, that's not exactly the buckle of the bible belt, but it's in there.

With something like 80% of women eventually becoming mothers at some point in life, I don't know what to suggest outside of using OLD with a "child free" emphasis to screen out the 80% you don't want. OLD is far from perfect, but IMHO beats going out on 3-5 dates with random women, 8 out of 10 of whom are not going to be compatible.
I'd have no issue dating an old(er) woman. I've seen 50 years that still draw my attention. Issue is that I look a bit younger than I am and most older women are self conscious about the appearance of robbing the cradle or aging to the point I lose interest.

And if by M3 Mitch you're talking cars then I like your style. Hoping to snag an e92 this summer once I'm settled down here.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 AM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

I'm not the brightest man in the world but doesn't that have a really negative sub tone to it... couldn't we just say we don't have kids.......

Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nobody is forcing a label on anybody. If you embrace a particular label, you do so because it is your choice to do so.

It's not that hard to say, "I don't have kids," and leave it at that.
The problem is that even if you say you don't have kids, people assume you want them someday. This is the point I was making. It's not that us childfree folks like having to label ourselves. But we feel the need because of what others think about us. The folks who have children can be pretty condescending. My personal favorite is when they tell you that you'll change your mind about having kids.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
Indeed -- love getting the "When are YOU having children?" and "Oh, you say that now, but you'll change your mind!". Oh and my personal favorite "But who will take care of you when you get old??"

Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Indeed -- love getting the "When are YOU having children?" and "Oh, you say that now, but you'll change your mind!". Oh and my personal favorite "But who will take care of you when you get old??"
I always want to tell them, why don't you visit a nursing home and see how many people are left to the wolves by their "families".

Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yes, son. The only reason I had you was so that there would be someone to bathe me and change my diaper when I was old. And unlike a nurse, you won't get paid.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:09 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I always want to tell them, why don't you visit a nursing home and see how many people are left to the wolves by their "families".
But most families aren't like that. My family isn't that close and I take care of my dad when he needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships