Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
LOL wow mine was valued at 15K, my yearly taxes range from $500 - $700 the highest I paid was $1,400 about 10 years ago, I know a guy who said his old house in LA was the same size as mine, and he sold it for enough to buy two 4-bedroom houses here. property values must be super inflated out west.

I live in texas the DFW area.
That may explain it. Dating can be hard in the south from what I hear, especially for people who don't fit a certain "mold."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:29 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
At one point people had morals and standard.
This is a thread about poly relationships. And given no one has put forward an argument to why they are immoral - I am not sure how your comment is any way relevant to the thread. Perhaps you are one of these all too common types who things that people who have DIFFERENT morals or standards to you have by definition NO morals or standards - solely because they differ from your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Poor societal values.
Care to expand on that? It is somewhat vague.

Quote:
If you're going to do something this, YOU need to be the alpha and have multiple women.
That is _one_ way to do it out of numerous possibilities. I see no reason why this is the one he "needs" to do however. Can you expand on this contention? Who knows if his needs match your own.

Quote:
Dating sites are sketchy to begin with. Mostly the bottom-feeders of society.
Citations required. Where are you getting this demography from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There are plenty of scumbag cheaters out there, from both sexes... but to call that the status quo is crazy.
This is a thread about poly relationships. That has nothing to do with "cheaters". Infidelity and adultery and cheating are different things.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:18 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
1: variety (not just sexual)
2: the Thinking its "easier" to maintain
3: the Thinking of no strings attached comes as a given.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
I am not in the top percent, I'm 44, 6ft5 average build own a small 2 bedroom house and live paycheck to paycheck. I get approached or flirted with from time to time, just not by women who want something serious, usually they turn out to be married and cheating(which I have no interest in) or basically looking for FWB but dont want to be tied down(where were these women when i was 19), I want more than that.
We've been misled. All this time you've been maintaining that these women approach you to join their happy poly-household and in reality what has really transpired is you were being cruised for the lead part in a BBC action/adventure series. And I don't mean British Broadcasting Corporation. I don't have half of what you have to work with and I have had to beat them off with a stick at various points in my life. Your only problem as I see it is that you remain idealistic. What concessions are you willing to make?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
Many people who are poly seem to think that everyone is at heart poly, but some are too repressed by the mainstream to accept it.
They are, in fact, correct. I say that as one who is not, and has never been in a poly relationship. I do, however, recognize truth when I see it or hear it. They bother proselytize at all because they know that such lifestyles truly are a choice versus those that arise from actual bi-sexual or same sex attractions. It doesn't at all mean that you should feel defensive about your personal choices.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
like most guys on dating sites, I don't get a ton of inbox mail, but in recent years I do get more unsolicited mail than I used to, sady a trend has popped up where I have been contacted by women who already have a boyfriend/husband but are in an open relationship and are seeking a 3rd or fourth wheel in their arrangement. and not even just online. I have been approached in bars, at the store etc etc....

its kind of a blow to my self image because I can't seem to find a one on one relationship to save my life, but it seems I'm ok for a boyfriend #2. in fact a week ago I wasted 3 hours having a great conversation with a very attractive woman only to find out that she was poly-amorous and I would have to meet her boyfriend at least once and that her, her boyfriend and his other girlfriend live in the same house.

I politely told her i was not interested, and she gave me her business card in case I opened my mind.

And thats not the first time something like that happened? someone who is otherwise a great match but does not believe in monogamy.

I mean to me it would be hard to feel special if my girlfriend was crawling into some other guys bed on mondays wendays and fridays.
Well, you might want to consider why you need sole access to a single woman's vagina to make you feel special.

Dude, I get not wanting to be poly. I'm not looking for a relationship, but if I was going to commit to someone I would want it to be exclusive. But the fact that you feel that being approached by a poly woman is a blow to your ego rather than a compliment and that you imply that a big part of your attraction to monogamy is being made to feel special indicates to me that you really need to work on yourself and your sense of self worth.

In any case, poly appeals to many who want flexibility and freedom in their relationships. Personally, I understand that perspective too, but the relationship management and time it must involve just seems impossibly daunting to me. Who needs that kind of drama? And in poly relationships, there always ends up being drama. Same with monogamous relationships, but with more people involved. Ugh.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
And, um, dude, you're super hot. Women are flinging themselves at you spontaneously because of that.

You need to join some meetup groups, volunteer, get involved in a hobby or something. You'll meet tons of women. And if you don't, it may be that that low self-esteem is standing in the way. I think a therapist might help - you just seem really sad and defeated about this, and really there is no reason. You might need some guidance on building up a thicker skin and not taking things as insults that aren't.

As for living paycheck to paycheck and in a meh neighborhood, well, pffft. Welcome to the reality of a large percentage of us. You're normal, dude. Except in the looks department.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
[quote=monumentus;40325438]This is a thread about poly relationships. And given no one has put forward an argument to why they are immoral - I am not sure how your comment is any way relevant to the thread. Perhaps you are one of these all too common types who things that people who have DIFFERENT morals or standards to you have by definition NO morals or standards - solely because they differ from your own?

Yep! Meeze things differently then you.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:49 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,120,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We've been misled. All this time you've been maintaining that these women approach you to join their happy poly-household and in reality what has really transpired is you were being cruised for the lead part in a BBC action/adventure series. And I don't mean British Broadcasting Corporation. I don't have half of what you have to work with and I have had to beat them off with a stick at various points in my life. Your only problem as I see it is that you remain idealistic. What concessions are you willing to make?
You mean those BBC action/adventure series that used to have their own section in that room in the back of the video store that was separated from the rest of the store by a row of hanging beads?

Basically I want an LTR

which is: LTR(Longterm relationship) = talk every day, see each other when ever possible, enjoy each others company and look forward to seeing each other when apart. you hope to spend your life with this person and view them as a partner in life. this person is on your mind through out the day, spend the majority of your time together.

As opposed to: FWB(Friends with benefits) = actual friends who you have sex with from time to time, you maybe even do other things together hang out from time to time, maybe talk on the phone once a week to every other day but you both do your own thing most of the time. <---- And sadly too many women I meet think this is LTR.

And I guess what bothered me about being approached by a polyamorous woman was the same thing that bothered me about being approached by married women in the past, they were usually very attractive women with personalities that would have otherwise been a good match. While I can't seem to find a non-materialistic woman that I'm attracted too that wants one on one. It not like I'm extremely picky on looks either, hell those worst girlfriends I've had were the most beautiful.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM

436 posts, read 421,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They are, in fact, correct. I say that as one who is not, and has never been in a poly relationship. I do, however, recognize truth when I see it or hear it.
I like to think I also recognize truth when I see or hear it, but I don't see any truth in that claim. If you were to tell me that MANY people are poly by nature, sure, I'll go with that. But all? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships