Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Speaking from the perspective of the SO of someone with roommates, I'll tell you why it was a big deal for me:

- Having to make sure we were behind closed doors before being intimate. And making sure that the noise was kept down.

- Forced socialization. Ick.

- Making sure that there was, in fact, a lock on the bathroom door.

- Having to make sure one was fully dressed before getting the first cup of coffee in the morning, or letting the dogs out.

- Making sure that valuables were, in fact, put away safely. Roommates were vetted, their company was not.

- Sharing kitchen and living room areas. God forbid one would want to take a nap on the couch...

Just to name a few.
Aside from the sheer hell that forced socialization is for an introvert, there are all of these little practicalities you mention.

Yes, I do dry my hair and put on my make-up buck naked. [Expunged: Oh, wait, some can't handle the truth.] Yes, I will burp and fart in my own residence when the urge grabs me. And finally, perhaps most importantly, no I DON'T want to wear a bra when I'm home!

Foul Bachelorette Frogs, UNITE!

See more on Know Your Meme

Last edited by JasperJade; 02-09-2016 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: OMG, GIRL STUFF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Yeah, right. Timberline's Roommate Utopia.

And as I said above, I have not had roommates since I was 23. That would be 26 years. In fact, I only had one roommate after college, and that lasted a year or so before I wanted, OMG, privacy! Ooh, in an expensive part of the country, too--D.C. Go figure. Doesn't mean I haven't heard the horror stories. Plenty right here on C-D.

Furthermore, not living like YOU chose to live does not imply some kind of character flaw on my part, like being easily annoyed. Don't turn your forum tricks on me, young man. I'm older and better at it than you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're only older by a few years and only better at being annoyed easily, you were significantly worse at choosing people to live with, or wait... since you didn't, you actually don't know what it really like. You're just basing your complaints on what you hear. Got it.

That's right up there with guys complaining about how horrible it is to be married, or to be fleeced by the courts, despite their never actually having done it. They just hear about it, and read about it.
At age 69 and not having had "roommates" - or would "tent mates" be more accurate - since I got off active military duty in 1969 I may be older and wiser than both of you, or not. I have had an ex-wife ands children and a current wife but never considered any of them roommates.

All that being said, perhaps this thread can return to its original question regarding womens' reactions to men over 35 who don't have their own place. Right off the top I can think of a number of reasons for the men (that would pertain equally to women) but they're likely quite individual ranging from limited earnings to camaraderie to reversal of circumstances to medical/physical needs and beyond. Just as the men's reasons for having roommates are individual, so too are the women's for not liking them.

Under those circumstances, what's to argue about?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

All that being said, perhaps this thread can return to its original question regarding womens' reactions to men over 35 who don't have their own place. Right off the top I can think of a number of reasons for the men (that would pertain equally to women) but they're likely quite individual ranging from limited earnings to camaraderie to reversal of circumstances to medical/physical needs and beyond. Just as the men's reasons for having roommates are individual, so too are the women's for not liking them.

Nothing. If you're using the criteria to weed out individuals that don't share you're priorities, that is fine. It's part of dating. I generally have never been attracted to people that think that societal perspectives and showing what you earn matters, indeed, quite the opposite. I general attract and am attracted to those that march to their own beat and are fiscally prudent (with some minor exceptions).

Old 02-09-2016, 12:04 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I would NEVER even date a man over 30 who did not have his own place (exception being that he was living with his kids) because I frankly cannot think of any except the following reasons for it, none of which would appeal to me:

1. If he was living with one or more non-family women, I would suspect a "friends with benefits" type of situation.

2. If he was living with one or more non-family men, I would suspect him of being either bisexual or gay.

3. If he was living with one or both parents or another relative, I would think that his parent(s) would be too dependent on him and/or he would be too dependent on them.

4. That he had made VERY unwise job and/or financial decisions and was unable to afford his own place.

5. That he had some kind of disability (mental and/or physical) that made it either impossible or very difficult for him to live on his own.

However, as others have said, I would make an exception if it was a VERY temporary situation (meaning less than a month) due to a fire at his previous residence or staying with a friend or relative outside of his town while he looked for a job and/or a new place there, for example.

P.S. Btw, I hold women over 30 to the same standards as those above! I have NEVER had a roommate after I was 18 except for my boyfriend or husband, and had never even considered doing so.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
At age 69 and not having had "roommates" - or would "tent mates" be more accurate - since I got off active military duty in 1969 I may be older and wiser than both of you, or not. I have had an ex-wife ands children and a current wife but never considered any of them roommates.

The OP was complaining about what he sees as disdain for men over 35 who don't live alone.

Many of the women here are explaining why they would not want to date a man in that situation.

As with any thread where someone puts forth a circumstance many find to be undesirable and questions why, those who find it undesirable will come along and explain why--and then all the people in that particular circumstance will get butt-hurt and defensive because they take it personally. It happens on threads about people who are virgins past a certain age, single parents, or not well off, too.

Thing is, we all have potential dealbreakers in our life situation. But unlike some people, I'm not going to get all defensive because there are men out there who would not date someone with mine. Please, to read this forum, a woman my age should just go join a convent or jump off a cliff simply for living past 40!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Speaking from the perspective of the SO of someone with roommates, I'll tell you why it was a big deal for me:

- Having to make sure we were behind closed doors before being intimate. And making sure that the noise was kept down.

- Forced socialization. Ick.

- Making sure that there was, in fact, a lock on the bathroom door.

- Having to make sure one was fully dressed before getting the first cup of coffee in the morning, or letting the dogs out.

- Making sure that valuables were, in fact, put away safely. Roommates were vetted, their company was not.

- Sharing kitchen and living room areas. God forbid one would want to take a nap on the couch...

Just to name a few.
I get all this, but if you live in one of the places, pointed out on the opening graph, where, you have to maybe work 60 hours a week or just be real lucky work and money wise to have your own place, are you going to DQ a good number of men, who cannot simply RESPONSIBLY have their own apartment?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
The OP was complaining about what he sees as disdain for men over 35 who don't live alone.

Many of the women here are explaining why they would not want to date a man in that situation.

As with any thread where someone puts forth a circumstance many find to be undesirable and questions why, those who find it undesirable will come along and explain why--and then all the people in that particular circumstance will get butt-hurt and defensive because they take it personally. It happens on threads about people who are virgins past a certain age, single parents, or not well off, too.

Thing is, we all have potential dealbreakers in our life situation. But unlike some people, I'm not going to get all defensive because there are men out there who would not date someone with mine. Please, to read this forum, a woman my age should just go join a convent or jump off a cliff simply for living past 40!
And again, there is a difference between men over 35 having roommates, in NYC, LA, SF or Boston, then there is in say, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City and Cleveland (places with COL average or below).

Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
And again, there is a difference between men over 35 having roommates, in NYC, LA, SF or Boston, then there is in say, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City and Cleveland (places with COL average or below).
The cost of a studio apartment would be in the ball park of splitting rents, at least here it is I've spent some time looking, in my area 2 bedroom apartment go for about 2k a month some more some less.

So if your splitting the rent you're at 1k a month, I've seen studio's listed around that price maybe a tad more, so why not just get a studio and shine living with some other person that most likely will get on your nerves after a while??

Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
I get all this, but if you live in one of the places, pointed out on the opening graph, where, you have to maybe work 60 hours a week or just be real lucky work and money wise to have your own place, are you going to DQ a good number of men, who cannot simply RESPONSIBLY have their own apartment?
Whether or not I would get into this sort of situation again will depend solely on how exceptional the guy is.

From my experience, I know that I would most probably not be comfortable with my SO having roommates, so he would have to be exceptional (in my eyes) in other areas to get over that large hurdle.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
And there are other places to live besides the city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships