Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 03:17 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I think you're right. Sharing has become the new buzz word of this younger generation. Car sharing, house sharing, couch sharing...heck, people don't even buy their phones anymore. As someone who values the idea of owning private property, it unnerves me to think that the concept of ownership will only belong to the few elites, while everyone else will be renters for life not owning a single asset. But that's a discussion for another forum.
When I was in my 20's I had a buddy that we lived together and it was fun at the time. We had a large 2 bedroom and 2 bathrooms so it worked out that we each had our own setup, I definitely don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom with another guy, but that's probably just me.

I think maybe we're seeing some generational differences here in our POV's. I think younger people like early 20's are just doing thing much differently then say the Gen X crowd does/did. Once I see that show up in a thread I adjust my perceptions accordingly and realize that were dealing with things from different angles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM

930 posts, read 700,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Yeah, hi, this thread is about people over 35, not those just starting out.

And I will bet the rent that more women over 30 than not would NOT want to deal with a man's roommates. That is the whole point of this thread.

All else being equal, who do you think a woman that age is going to choose: The great guy who lives with roommates or the great guy who lives alone?

She's going to choose the one who lives alone. What can I tell you?
I don't blame you. I wouldn't date a woman who's 40+ and doesn't own her own place. What does that say about her personal financial situation? Is she just looking to latch on to some guy who's done his due diligence in life and got it together? You never know...

You're right. We all have our preferences, however ludicrous they may seem to other people.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When I was in my 20's I had a buddy that we lived together and it was fun at the time. We had a large 2 bedroom and 2 bathrooms so it worked out that we each had our own setup, I definitely don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom with another guy, but that's probably just me.

I think maybe we're seeing some generational differences here in our POV's. I think younger people like early 20's are just doing thing much differently then say the Gen X crowd does/did. Once I see that show up in a thread I adjust my perceptions accordingly and realize that were dealing with things from different angles.
Well, like you said, when you were in your 20s, you had a roommate. I am looking at it from a younger person's point of view, because I'm younger (just turned 30). You're looking at it from a 46 y/o POV. I'm guessing that when I'm your age, I will be singing the same tune as you. Heck, I already feel that way. But like I said, I have a roommate because it's mutually beneficial, not because it's essential.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
I know it's pretty common for multiple roommates, but definitely screw that...LOL, having two other people to deal with, naw... not so much. One would be bad enough.

I think moving forward in the new economy we as a society are heading toward I think it's going to be more and more common to see roommates and probably less living alone.
I'll tellya, if I were in my mid-20s now, I'd seriously consider expatriating, especially if I wanted a family. There are better countries in which to raise a child, with better health standards, better education, and better priorities.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:41 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
I'll tellya, if I were in my mid-20s now, I'd seriously consider expatriating, especially if I wanted a family. There are better countries in which to raise a child, with better health standards, better education, and better priorities.
I'm a pro-America guy in general, but yeah, I'll see articles on MSN about living standards in other countries and we aren't at the top of the list, I think 8 or 9 down, if I recall, I think per that article Australia was rated number 1 in overall best quality of life.

I think sometimes we need to dial back the "America is the best" chest thumping we tend to do a little too much.

That scene in Newsroom I think was the show where Jeff Daniels lists off all the ways America is behind, that was a scene that pissed off a lot of people, but I think it also opened a few eyes too. Great scene and I haven't vetted the facts in it, so I can only assume it's true, and if it is the case, we've got some work to do as a nation.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I don't blame you. I wouldn't date a woman who's 40+ and doesn't own her own place. What does that say about her personal financial situation? Is she just looking to latch on to some guy who's done his due diligence in life and got it together? You never know...

You're right. We all have our preferences, however ludicrous they may seem to other people.
Ha! In my case it means two things: 1. The recession wiped me out and I'm still rebuilding, and more importantly, 2. I was never arsed to be a homeowner, even when it wasn't so insanely expensive to buy here. I just don't want that responsibility. Case in point: A pipe in the sprinkler system a few floors above mine burst a few weeks ago. Given that this is a high-rise, you can imagine how much water was involved. Water came down through all the electrical rooms and down the elevator shafts, pooling in the hallways down 10 floors. It came in under the door, as well as down the inside wall between my kitchen and dining.

Within hours, they had contractors in to take out the carpet padding, vacuum the water up off the concrete, and provide us with those industrial-strength fans to run overnight to avoid mold. The next day they came back, put in new padding, hammered the carpet back down, and that was that. They'll come back to paint in the spring when I can board my bird and leave the windows open for a week to get the fumes out.

And what a PITA it was when the same thing happened in the house my mother left my sisters and me after my dopey sister didn't leave the heat on high enough to prevent it. It took longer, and it cost us a piece of change. That right there was enough for me to say, "Nope, not owning a home unless I marry and we buy one together." When something breaks, I call the landlord, a guy comes, I point, he fixes, end of story. It's bliss.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Ha! In my case it means two things: 1. The recession wiped me out and I'm still rebuilding, and more importantly, 2. I was never arsed to be a homeowner, even when it wasn't so insanely expensive to buy here. I just don't want that responsibility. Case in point: A pipe in the sprinkler system a few floors above mine burst a few weeks ago. Given that this is a high-rise, you can imagine how much water was involved. Water came down through all the electrical rooms and down the elevator shafts, pooling in the hallways down 10 floors. It came in under the door, as well as down the inside wall between my kitchen and dining.

Within hours, they had contractors in to take out the carpet padding, vacuum the water up off the concrete, and provide us with those industrial-strength fans to run overnight to avoid mold. The next day they came back, put in new padding, hammered the carpet back down, and that was that. They'll come back to paint in the spring when I can board my bird and leave the windows open for a week to get the fumes out.

And what a PITA it was when the same thing happened in the house my mother left my sisters and me after my dopey sister didn't leave the heat on high enough to prevent it. It took longer, and it cost us a piece of change. That right there was enough for me to say, "Nope, not owning a home unless I marry and we buy one together." When something breaks, I call the landlord, a guy comes, I point, he fixes, end of story. It's bliss.
My mortgage payment being about half the cost of what a comparable 2BR/2BA would be here is what sold me. Not to mention it's an asset that will more than likely increase in value over time.

Anyway, the point being is that we, as individuals, have our preferences. I was comparing that to your previous post, which seemed to generalize that all women shared your preference that a man having a roommate at X age was a deal breaker. Not only do I think that's false, I think that's not very fair of you to judge someone like that. Of course, you have your valid excuses for why you don't own a home. Perhaps the person who has roommates also has a list of valid excuses for having a roommate. Maybe they also were cleaned out during the recession and are rebuilding their financial well being. They are not beneath you for that.

At the end of the day, it's your personal preference. It's not a crime to have a roommate, and nobody should be made to feel like a loser for having one just as you shouldn't be made to feel like a loser for not owning a home at your age.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'm a pro-America guy in general, but yeah, I'll see articles on MSN about living standards in other countries and we aren't at the top of the list, I think 8 or 9 down, if I recall, I think per that article Australia was rated number 1 in overall best quality of life.

I think sometimes we need to dial back the "America is the best" chest thumping we tend to do a little too much.

That scene in Newsroom I think was the show where Jeff Daniels lists off all the ways America is behind, that was a scene that pissed off a lot of people, but I think it also opened a few eyes too. Great scene and I haven't vetted the facts in it, so I can only assume it's true, and if it is the case, we've got some work to do as a nation.
When he's on stage and answering the college girl? Best series opening in the history of television, IMHO.

We are very much behind in things like longevity, health, education, and quality of life. But incarceration? We're dang near the top in that! Crime and punishment, we can do.

But yeah, getting back to topic, I feel bad for Millennials with this. So many of them have no choice because of their student loans. I have nieces and nephews in their early and mid-20s, and I don't know how many of them will know the joy and empowerment of not needing someone else there to make ends meet. Maybe the one studying to be an orthopedic DO.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm 44, but if the right situation came up, I'd do roommates again for sure. Right now though I have a one bedroom well below market and for less than it would cost me to rent a decent room, so there is no incentive.
Where do you live that's so expensive? I live in one of the most expensive cities so I understand that part of needing room mates.

But past 40 with room mates still? More women will look down on you than at 35. How old were you the last time you had a room mate? And do you date women much younger than you? Like in their 20's? I seriously have a hard time believing that you dated women in their 30s who didn't frown upon your living status. Especially since you are past 40. The older a person is, the less dependent he should be on others.

Not calling you a liar but I find it hard to believe professional women would accept a guy with room mates pass a certain age.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:05 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,849 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, some of these formerly better countries took hundred of thousands of Syrian refugees. That seriously affected the life style of people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships