Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
One of the articles on vocal fry said that the annoyance with it is definitely generational. When older people hear someone with vocal fry or who says "like" a lot, it bothers them to the point that they can't concentrate on what the person is saying. When younger people hear the same recording, it barely registers at all, since that's how people talk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have no doubt that it's most likely generational. I would also add that I'm sure older people say or do things that annoy younger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 03:01 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Ha! I have a friend at work who imitates others (with me), I didn't even know it had a name.

"I like didn't want to come in too earrrrrly? Cuz like then I'm the one who shld turn everything onnnn then? Yeah, so like not even my paaaay graaaade uh."

Old 03-14-2018, 03:08 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Ha! I have a friend at work who imitates others (with me), I didn't even know it had a name.

"I like didn't want to come in too earrrrrly? Cuz like then I'm the one who shld turn everything onnnn then? Yeah, so like not even my paaaay graaaade uh."
I only knew of the term from CD. lol

Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM

The one that's really starting to annoy me lately is that it seems like everyone's response to any question starts with the word "so."

Q: Please explain to me what this proposal is about.
A: So it's about making illegal using vocal fry in any public place.

Q: What is your position on this issue?
A: So vocal fry really, really annoys me, and I feel it's imperative to be in favor of and support this proposal.

Q: Why do you feel so strongly about it?
A: So it's a problem that's steadily increasing, and the resulting throat damage is causing health care costs to rise, and something just needs to be done about it.

And on and on...

Old 03-14-2018, 04:00 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I confess to guilt about the "so" thing. I know it annoys some folks, so I try to edit it out if I notice I've actually typed it. But since it's part of my speech, it works its way into my dialect of writing, too. Sorry.

Often enough when I use it verbally, it's one of those space-fillers like "um" that gives me a moment to collect my thoughts and marshal my words into the proper marching order to convey my thoughts.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I confess to guilt about the "so" thing. I know it annoys some folks, so I try to edit it out if I notice I've actually typed it. But since it's part of my speech, it works its way into my dialect of writing, too. Sorry.

Often enough when I use it verbally, it's one of those space-fillers like "um" that gives me a moment to collect my thoughts and marshal my words into the proper marching order to convey my thoughts.
Lol, you know, I was going to mention this. I don't know if you're referring to answering a question with "so" or just starting a sentence in general with it. I actually think of that differently because it just seems like kind of an amusing way to start a sentence.

Like if you said something like, "So I'm in line for the restroom," it just seems like an abbreviated way of saying, "Boy, do I have a story for you. Okay, so get this, I'm in line for the restroom." It's almost a joking way of pretending you were already discussing something (poetic/artistic license). It makes more sense to me that way as opposed to beginning an answer to every single question with it.

And EVERYONE seems to be doing it, even so-called "respected" journalists, politicians, etc. Everyone explaining their cause. Every person, every question... Even if I'm busy doing stuff around the house when the news is on, I'm railing at the people on TV, "Stop doing that, you're driving me insane!" lol

Anyway, I think merely starting a sentence with it to tell a story is an entirely different scenario, and because I use it that way, I feel that it's okay.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:

I don't know how you thought about it but as much as I hate it, I've started doing it.
So, what do we do to stop it? :confused :

Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Often enough when I use it verbally, it's one of those space-fillers like "um" ,that gives me a moment to collect my thoughts and marshal my words into the proper marching order to convey my thoughts.
In other words you're coming up with a lie. Just kidding of course!

I started having lightbulb moments at the end of my marriage when my addict husband would answer my questions with: "okay, so... what was that now?" and I know it was to give himself time to MAKE up an answer.

When I heard my new friend say that last night, it was like the psycho shower scene sound effects, I'm thinking "'oh no....please let's not...."

Old 03-14-2018, 08:41 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
So I usually don't do this, cause I am not this type of person, but I need to vent. The past eight months have just been the like what the heck is going on with my life? Dating life sucks worse than ever, my career is not advancing as I thought it would, been having issues sleeping, and just other little things that just seems like I am on a bad luck streak. What really sucks the most is that it seems EVERYONE around me is going in the opposite direction!! Friends are getting married, getting promotions, going on great vacations, and I just feel stuck. Like I am really questioning myself and what type of person I am and how I am such a mess up at things right now. Ok that was my vent, I feel like one percent better, hopefully my luck will change for the better soon
You aren't messed up.Just need to pick yourself up and try again.Also from experience behind close doors those that are in relationships have problems too. For example many are cheating,stealing,gambling, money problems etc.
(Hug) things will always change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's are good quality.
Lol,don't be a perve.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:58 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
So I usually don't do this, cause I am not this type of person, but I need to vent. The past eight months have just been the like what the heck is going on with my life? Dating life sucks worse than ever, my career is not advancing as I thought it would, been having issues sleeping, and just other little things that just seems like I am on a bad luck streak. What really sucks the most is that it seems EVERYONE around me is going in the opposite direction!! Friends are getting married, getting promotions, going on great vacations, and I just feel stuck. Like I am really questioning myself and what type of person I am and how I am such a mess up at things right now. Ok that was my vent, I feel like one percent better, hopefully my luck will change for the better soon
Sorry, dude! I know how you feel. Just a few months back, I realized that I don't have to do my current job anymore, but my new gig is kind of freelance, and I never know when I'll have work and when I won't have work. So I'm still working that job for the next 4 weeks (I was off working my other gig for the last 10-11 days and took a week off in January to do that and it's annoying my boss, who doesn't know I'm quitting in 4 weeks) just to collect a paycheck and accumulate some reserve cash for if things are dry and for my wedding/honeymoon in September/October. And I've been telling everyone and anyone who will listen that I now feel that I'm above doing this job and I just wanna abruptly quit it now. It's especially gonna feel like such a drag when I go back in on Monday, but I keep telling myself that I've only got 4 weeks left and I've made it this far. My fiancee keeps telling me to just effing quit already and she'll help supplement whatever cash is needed if I start to run low later in the year. I try not to vent about it on here, as I could literally vent about it for hours and days on end. I feel like when I go back in on Monday, it will be like when Henry Hill goes into witness protection at the end of Goodfellas and orders spaghetti and marinara, but gets egg noodles and ketchup instead.

I'm dreading telling my boss, as he's one of the only people that I like at my job. I can't stand most of the people that I work with. I'm just going through the motions at this point, using them for a paycheck, which is alright because I'm providing them with a service, so it's not like I'm stealing money from them, but my heart certainly isn't in it. I just need to keep my head in it for another 4 weeks!

And I also hope that when I tell my boss in 2 more weeks that I'm giving my 2 weeks notice, he doesn't tell me to just go home for the last two weeks.

Wishing you good luck! I think we all go through our strings of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships