Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 09:37 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, there are some blatant re-directs, but more often than not, I see people (both posters and others) saying things are off topic to the OP, when they're actually addressing the topic, but the person claiming that its off topic can't understand how it actually very much relates to the OP. That happens a lot on here. Not even speaking for my posts, but I've seen so many good posts on this forum, and some of the regional forums, being removed for off topic posts when they brought up important points that were relevant to the OPs.
I guess the ones I object to that seem like someone has an agenda, is when you go from discussing something that is very relationships-flavored, to a shift that looks like it belongs in another subforum entirely. And any attempt to stay remotely on track, the one person drags it right back THERE. You see the thread lock coming, and within hours, boom, there it is. But as I said, I'm just as irritated with myself, as with the other person, when I give in (as recently) and respond, when dangit I KNOW BETTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I guess the ones I object to that seem like someone has an agenda, is when you go from discussing something that is very relationships-flavored, to a shift that looks like it belongs in another subforum entirely. And any attempt to stay remotely on track, the one person drags it right back THERE. You see the thread lock coming, and within hours, boom, there it is. But as I said, I'm just as irritated with myself, as with the other person, when I give in (as recently) and respond, when dangit I KNOW BETTER.

Sure, yeah, those happen. There was one recently where someone brought up hiring laws and civil rights and tying it to dating customs. Those are annoying.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, yeah, those happen. There was one recently where someone brought up hiring laws and civil rights and tying it to dating customs. Those are annoying.
Some in the relationships forum could tell you how that's tied together.
...Or how the 'dems and libs' are somehow responsible for, or in a related category to finding a tiger cub in a bag. I don't care if the thread gets locked or not, they're just going to keep coming back to irritate, watching for someone to bite.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:39 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Through the course of a thread it's pretty normal for threads to drift, it's just when some jackalope comes in and does a total redirection which can be annoying. I know it just happened a day or two ago on a thread. It was pretty egregious and obvious the way they did it, but whatever.
I agree, it's pretty natural to drift. Anytime a "for instance" is brought up, it will spark new thought (even if the new thought is just more old thought). I know I remarked about that on one thread you started a while back, about men doing something. It ended up being argument about men vs. women, but it's really difficult to ask any sex-based question without calling up the other sex for comparison.

Nevertheless, at times it's just so obvious that the first thought is "Yeah, here we go again. SO done."

I agree with your summation that most of the threads seem like bait rather than discussion. Nothing looks terribly legitimate anymore, and I find that I come in, browse quickly, and nearly as often I also leave quickly. Anything? Anythi-- nope, must more of that. Hmm, nobody in the conversation thread... guess I'll go eat Cheetos and play in the dirt.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 PM

622 posts, read 396,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Does anyone else find they have a few acquaintances here they're loathe to give up, really enjoy talking to and dropping in... but also find this forum has gotten trollsy and often either lame or downright silly?
Yes! It was a friendly safe haven when I joined two years ago. Not so safe or friendly anymore. Some of the friends I made in the beginning have quit the forum and I miss them, though one still keeps in touch via email. I don’t post as much now but do check in most days to follow a few favored posters that haven’t given up yet. It just doesn’t have that same level of friendliness as before though. The trolls are soooo annoying. I’ve learned to be wary of first time posters!

Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
I agree, it's pretty natural to drift. Anytime a "for instance" is brought up, it will spark new thought (even if the new thought is just more old thought). I know I remarked about that on one thread you started a while back, about men doing something. It ended up being argument about men vs. women, but it's really difficult to ask any sex-based question without calling up the other sex for comparison.

Nevertheless, at times it's just so obvious that the first thought is "Yeah, here we go again. SO done."

I agree with your summation that most of the threads seem like bait rather than discussion. Nothing looks terribly legitimate anymore, and I find that I come in, browse quickly, and nearly as often I also leave quickly. Anything? Anythi-- nope, must more of that. Hmm, nobody in the conversation thread... guess I'll go eat Cheetos and play in the dirt.
I get how people bring up subjects and use examples and that does naturally lead into conversation drift. It's just overall it reminds me of how poorly people actually communicate.

I've taken a new direction in my career and I went from more of a direct hands on technical guy to more of an "inspector" type of role and between the all of the report writing and sitting in meetings I'm really astonished just how little people actually communicate. There are competing agendas, people who just can't focus and express their thoughts and there are people that just wait for you to start talking so they can jump in. Hell, it's like watching someone waiting to jump into the double dutch ropes.

There, I done went and changed the direction of the conversation.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Some in the relationships forum could tell you how that's tied together.
...Or how the 'dems and libs' are somehow responsible for, or in a related category to finding a tiger cub in a bag. I don't care if the thread gets locked or not, they're just going to keep coming back to irritate, watching for someone to bite.

Ha! Point taken, and fair enough, in their heads, they probably are.

The thing is, if every post 100% just dealt with the OP, then you really can't get to the core of the issues that the OP presents. It's just the way of life. I can't imagine trying to sit down with someone and say, hey, we're going to talk about XandY, and then say "objection, you're speaking of Z, reframe your statement to only speak of XandY"! It just doesn't work and isn't natural.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I was at this hole in the wall Mexican food joint for lunch and there was music playing and this guy walks in and is standing at the counter getting ready to order and he starts belting out singing along with the music. He sounded really good actually. LOL, this was an older Mexican guy and I can only assume Cinco de Mayo was starting early for this dude.

Hijacked again. LOL, course we can do this here.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:28 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Mm hm.

I saw a cool moth yesterday. A cecropia silk moth. Big, very fuzzy and fluffy, adorable. Read about the creature online, found that the adults don't eat, they don't even have mouths or a digestive system. They have one function, and that is to reproduce before they die.

Next time a woman gripes to me about some guy only having one thing on his mind, I'm gonna say, "You think you've got it bad, at least humans aren't like the moths..."

Old 05-04-2018, 05:12 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:

dammit, I knew something was wrong when I was playing in the Cheetos. I need to go brush my teeth and rinse my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships