Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 PM

302 posts, read 230,662 times

Advertisements

How about have more confidence and not make assumptions that you are being dumped on because someone mentions their boyfriend or husband, k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.spirit View Post
OHHHH, YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO ASK HER SOMETHING...way different than, where is the bathroom?

She probably thought you wanted to ask her out. DUH! Why would you ask a complete stranger you want to ask them something when you need to know where the bathroom is?
What? She's not some molly standing on a street corner, she's a museum employee. I ask, "Excuse me, may I ask you something" of store employees all the time.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What? She's not some molly standing on a street corner, she's a museum employee. I ask, "Excuse me, may I ask you something" of store employees all the time.
Most people just ask the actual question e.g. Excuse me, where's the women's section or furniture etc

Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This thread is so perplexing to me. I am female and sometimes when I meet someone new (male or female) a SO will come up fairly early in conversation regardless of the circumstances. I just think that if a person is a big part of someone's life, they come up early. It's the same thing with a person having kids. Usually if I meet someone and they have kids, I tend to hear about the kids pretty early on as well. I don't really think about it one way or another, but then again I don't tend to take offense at things.
I think the offensiveness (if that's what we can call it) some people may be experiencing is due to some treating a set of people differently than then would others, but in return are expecting to be treated no differently by others themselves.

It brings personal and general baises to the forefront (rightful or wrongful) and confuses those who may interact with around you as to you own motivations and intentions.

It is not simply that someone speaks of their spouses in general. the thread isn't about a natural conversation flow it was about people jumping to the end of the line with no ushering involved.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:15 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I think the offensiveness (if that's what we can call it) some people may be experiencing is due to some treating a set of people differently than then would others, but in return are expecting to be treated no differently by others themselves.

It brings personal and general baises to the forefront (rightful or wrongful) and confuses those who may interact with around you as to you own motivations and intentions.

It is not simply that someone speaks of their spouses in general. the thread isn't about a natural conversation flow it was about people jumping to the end of the line with no ushering involved.
Aaaaaand yet again.

So what???

What crimp is it putting in any dude's day that a woman he is speaking to "jumps to the end of the line" in error? ESPECIALLY if the guy has zero interest romantically in this silly, erroneous woman, why does it matter? At all? Ever?

Given that context - he wasn't flirting and has NO romantic interest (as he keeps swearing up and down) - how is this even a complaint?

The woman made a mistake - so? Did that mistake totally ruin the guy's day? Did it cost him his job? Did the police come and slap cuffs on him? Did legions of onlookers point and laugh? If not then why the hell is it so bothersome to the guy??? Because he's "treated differently"? Oh come on.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:03 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Aaaaaand yet again.

So what???

What crimp is it putting in any dude's day that a woman he is speaking to "jumps to the end of the line" in error? ESPECIALLY if the guy has zero interest romantically in this silly, erroneous woman, why does it matter? At all? Ever?

Given that context - he wasn't flirting and has NO romantic interest (as he keeps swearing up and down) - how is this even a complaint?

The woman made a mistake - so? Did that mistake totally ruin the guy's day? Did it cost him his job? Did the police come and slap cuffs on him? Did legions of onlookers point and laugh? If not then why the hell is it so bothersome to the guy??? Because he's "treated differently"? Oh come on.

Delicate flowers. Some people are just, oh, so more fragile than others.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2016, 07:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
I cannot even imagine the conversation.

Him: Hi
Her: I have a boyfriend.

I guess that would be weird. But ... what the actually conversation(s) was/were is pretty hard to imagine.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:45 AM

155 posts, read 260,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

It is not simply that someone speaks of their spouses in general. the thread isn't about a natural conversation flow it was about people jumping to the end of the line with no ushering involved
THANK YOU!

Someone finally gets it!!!!

This. All. Day.

Christ almighty.

For a while, I thought I was typing in Klingon with the lack of comprehension from some of the people on this thread.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 AM

155 posts, read 260,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I cannot even imagine the conversation.

Him: Hi
Her: I have a boyfriend.

I guess that would be weird. But ... what the actually conversation(s) was/were is pretty hard to imagine.
Earlier I gave some examples, but here is one of the crazier conversations I had.

When working at the bookstore with the women who treated my good-looking male co-workers differently than me and the other less-attractive men, I once had this conversation when unloading some books about the Bush Administration's civil rights violations:

Me: Wow, Bush got away with destroying our privacy under the guise of security.

Woman: Yea, I don't understand why people allowed him to gain so much power.

Me: Mainly because when people are afraid, they'll let the government do whatever they like so as long as they continue feeling "safe."

Woman: My boyfriend didn't vote for Bush.

WTF?

This SAME woman talked to my actor co-workers all day and NEVER mentioned a boyfriend. Ever.

Now, this kind of thing happened with ME and my NOT-HOT-GUY co-workers.

The women mentioned boyfriends or SO with us, but never with the more attractive guys.

This is just one of many of these kinds of conversations. But women aren't shallow, women don't do anything wrong ever according to the ridiculous women on this thread.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post

WTF?

This SAME woman talked to my actor co-workers all day and NEVER mentioned a boyfriend. Ever.

Now, this kind of thing happened with ME and my NOT-HOT-GUY co-workers.

The women mentioned boyfriends or SO with us, but never with the more attractive guys.

This is just one of many of these kinds of conversations. But women aren't shallow, women don't do anything wrong ever according to the ridiculous women on this thread.
I can't say I've ever had anything like that happen. Ever. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships