Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times

Advertisements

If you go around looking to be offended, you will be sure to find someone who does offend you! Why not just assume the best of people OP? You don't know what conversations are taking place between your colleagues so you can't assume that boyfriends are being brought up as a slight to you.

Surely if you weren't interested anyway, you should be able to shrug it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 12:28 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It's happened to me at work.
I've spoken with female colleagues and in conversation they've said "My boyfriend...." as if they're telegraphing the message that they are "spoken for". I really don't care, as I don't date coworkers - never have, never will!
To me, if it's in conversation, then they more than likely do actually have a boyfriend. Granted, this is from my experience.

It's when you ask them out, and they say that they have a boyfriend is where they possibly could be lying to turn you down.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
For me it's the opposite. Women going out of their way to tell me places they like to go, or telling me they are single or free to "hangout" through massive hints. Now has this worked to my advantage at times absolutely but it can also be annoying when I'm not attracted to the woman at all.

No offense but most women get really annoyed and borderline offended when guys who aren't on their level try to talk to them in that way. Even if you weren't(like you said op) if they perceive you are about to they try to dead that VERY quickly(well I have a boyfriend/I'm not really trying to date right now etc)

Old 06-25-2016, 10:48 AM

155 posts, read 260,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
For me it's the opposite. Women going out of their way to tell me places they like to go, or telling me they are single or free to "hangout" through massive hints. Now has this worked to my advantage at times absolutely but it can also be annoying when I'm not attracted to the woman at all.

No offense but most women get really annoyed and borderline offended when guys who aren't on their level try to talk to them in that way. Even if you weren't(like you said op) if they perceive you are about to they try to dead that VERY quickly(well I have a boyfriend/I'm not really trying to date right now etc)
And now we're talking about the real world. This is what is happening, but apparently, a bunch of women on here don't understand this situation.

Now, they've deadened my basic conversation, but don't do that to my good-looking male friends. It's just interesting to note.

All the folks on here who lack basic reading comprehension keep missing that core point.

It's a selective "boyfriend mention."

Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
And now we're talking about the real world. This is what is happening, but apparently, a bunch of women on here don't understand this situation.

Now, they've deadened my basic conversation, but don't do that to my good-looking male friends. It's just interesting to note.

All the folks on here who lack basic reading comprehension keep missing that core point.

It's a selective "boyfriend mention."
For the gazillionth time, we ARE aware of the "I have a boyfriend" sidestep.

What you describe is pretty much all the time and that's what's different between you and most men I've known (or probably, most of us have known and we do feel that warrants further investigation, if this is really bothering you (which quite obviously, it is). Further, you insist you know that EACH time it's happening, it's SPECIFICALLY to turn you away and not just part of the conversation. That seems unlikely unless there is some other circumstance, for example, you are coming off as "coming on" even if you don't think you are...an idea that you stomp around and freak out over, so I guess that's out.

This is all what you, yourself, are failing to understand, or don't want to understand.

You're welcome.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:35 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Yes OP, sometimes we lie and only say we have a BF because we do not want to go out with a specific individual. That is true.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM

155 posts, read 260,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes OP, sometimes we lie and only say we have a BF because we do not want to go out with a specific individual. That is true.
Right.

And sometimes, when that's done, the guy in question may not have been interested in you to begin with.

That's my point.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Right.

And sometimes, when that's done, the guy in question may not have been interested in you to begin with.

That's my point.
If you weren't interested anyway, then it shouldn't bother you! Simple.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:00 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
If you weren't interested anyway, then it shouldn't bother you! Simple.
But it does bother him. He wants to be treated the same like his good looking friends.

Only if he would just admit to this, we would all understand.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:03 PM

302 posts, read 230,662 times
Nope. I would only go there if a guy was being overly aggressive or coming on to me in an obvious way.

I would only bring up my relationship status if if had something to do with the conversation.

Since most casual conversations involve what you are doing I think it's probably common to bring up another if you are going to hang out later or are sharing what you are doing on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships