Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Looked pretty blamey to me. Lots of people get abused and you didn't get therapy so......How do you categorize that?
Can you please point out the part you find blamey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
And the answer is none of our freaking business.
OP has freely chosen to make it our business by sharing his situation on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
And yes, it was irrelevant to the cheating...so why ask?
How can you say it is irrelevant? OP has said that sex is too hard for him to handle. Do you feel that has no impact on his marriage?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:13 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
OP has freely chosen to make it our business by sharing his situation on this forum.

How can you say it is irrelevant? OP has said that sex is too hard for him to handle. Do you feel that has no impact on his marriage?

Seeking help for something like this is easier said than done. If you've never been through it, you just don't understand.

If my husband had this problem, we would be discussing it and I would be encouraging him to get therapy. I wouldn't deal with it by banging his best friend and react with "whatever' when he confronts me about it. Dump that ho TODAY.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Irrelevant to the cheating the question was why didn't OP seek help to cope with the abuse. He's 30 and this happened when he was 8.

But what relevance does that have to anything? I think it's cruel to ask a sick person why they didn't take better care of themselves, or to ask an accident victim why they weren't more careful. I mean, unless it's your job to hold them accountable, which I don't think applies here.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Seeking help for something like this is easier said than done. If you've never been through it, you just don't understand.
Of course it's easier said than done. I don't believe anyone has suggested otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
If my husband had this problem, we would be discussing it and I would be encouraging him to get therapy. I wouldn't deal with it by banging his best friend and react with "whatever' when he confronts me about it. Dump that ho TODAY.
Agree, OP's wife did not handle the problem well and her "whatever" attitude is very troubling. However, we don't know that she didn't encourage OP to get therapy.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
But what relevance does that have to anything? I think it's cruel to ask a sick person why they didn't take better care of themselves, or to ask an accident victim why they weren't more careful. I mean, unless it's your job to hold them accountable, which I don't think applies here.
Oh, so you feel asking "why" is the same as assigning blame? Isn't it possible that CSD simply wanted to know why OP has thus far chosen to not seek professional help?

Whatever happens with OP's marriage, OP deserves to be a healthy person.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:38 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini10182 View Post
I was repeatedly sexually abused when I was 8 years old, and I find sex too hard deal with.
The above is no excuse for infidelity.

BUT, from the OP's sentence it sounds like therapy would be in order as it is actively affecting his life into his 30s. No shame in that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Can you please point out the part you find blamey?

Sure. The bolded sentence is in response to the OP saying he was abused as a child, and he believes that has some impact on his sexuality. By stating that someone's personal experience was shared by millions CSD undermines the significance and the comment has no relevance to the OP's question about forgiveness.

The italicized and bolded also has no relevance to the OP's question, and the implication is that he wouldn't be in this situation if he had gone through therapy. It's like asking the rape victim why she went out alone.

CSD is chiding the OP on both counts. He's wrong to suggest that his abuse contributed to his current problems and he should have fixed it by now anyway. Other than that, it's a warm and supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So were millions of other people.
Why didn't you seek therapy long ago to help you deal with, cope with and overcome this issue?
If you want to forgive your wife then do so, otherwise don't and proceed from the decision you make.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Sure. The bolded sentence is in response to the OP saying he was abused as a child, and he believes that has some impact on his sexuality. By stating that someone's personal experience was shared by millions CSD undermines the significance and the comment has no relevance to the OP's question about forgiveness.
I don't read it that way. It is a fact that millions of current adults have been sexually abused as children. Most do not make statements such as "sex is too hard for me to deal with".

Quote:
The italicized and bolded also has no relevance to the OP's question, and the implication is that he wouldn't be in this situation if he had gone through therapy. It's like asking the rape victim why she went out alone.
If the question had been "Why did you get married knowing you have these unresolved problems?" I would agree with you. But, that wasn't the question.

Quote:
CSD is chiding the OP on both counts. He's wrong to suggest that his abuse contributed to his current problems and he should have fixed it by now anyway. Other than that, it's a warm and supportive.
I continue to think you are reading something in to the question which was not put there by the author.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:49 PM

15 posts, read 18,505 times
Quote:
So old enough to know better.
Pretty much yeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships