Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times

Advertisements

Women who can overcome hardship and bounce back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,025 times
The article sounds like career driven women not particularly strong women.I am not ambitious or a power driven woman,and definately prefer the man to be in that role it is a much bigger sexual and emotional turn on for me I've found,that's the main reason.
It's pretty strange as my father was a completely passive,emotional,nuturing feminine guy who was a great father,but I just don't want that.
I cannot think of anything worse than chatting up about our market strategies or targets or something all night,but overall the article was interesting.
Definately enjoyed the part about valuing each other's opinions.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Most M/F relationships today are based on a quid pro quo, she provides sex, he provides resources, money etc. But if the woman already has plenty of her own money, is independent and manages just fine on her own, I don't quite understand what she would want a man for. The only thing I can think that these women would want would be men that have more money, better status, than her. And of course, that's very typical for women. They want to marry up. I could see why most men would back off from the strong independent woman. If she's strong and independent, she doesn't need anyone.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
Women who are doctors, nurses, teachers, or even a secretary that to me is a strong woman. A woman who has been knocked down by life and has recovered fully is a strong woman.

What many men don't like is how some successful women can be ballbusters, talk down to them, aren't really compassionate, and are just overall ugly on the inside. That isn't a strong independent woman that's just a b***h (excuse my language).

Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Most M/F relationships today are based on a quid pro quo, she provides sex, he provides resources, money etc. But if the woman already has plenty of her own money, is independent and manages just fine on her own, I don't quite understand what she would want a man for. The only thing I can think that these women would want would be men that have more money, better status, than her. And of course, that's very typical for women. They want to marry up. I could see why most men would back off from the strong independent woman. If she's strong and independent, she doesn't need anyone.
Maybe this is location dependent because where I live relationships are still based on love and truly wanting the best for the other person as well as being the best version of yourself.

As a woman who now has a bit of money, I would never say I don't need a man. I might not need a man for my financial needs, but I still value his companionship, love and all the wonderful qualities he brings to the relationship. I'm not into hypergamy (shots fired).

To me, being strong and independent doesn't mean I don't need anyone. It simply means I recognise my strengths and weaknesses and allow the same for other people. No man is an island!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Women who are doctors, nurses, teachers, or even a secretary that to me is a strong woman. A woman who has been knocked down by life and has recovered fully is a strong woman.

What many men don't like is how some successful women can be ballbusters, talk down to them, aren't really compassionate, and are just overall ugly on the inside. That isn't a strong independent woman that's just a b***h (excuse my language).

Do you know what actually takes more strenght? The base when a person is not fully recovered yet still fights to live. That is the actual base when you need your strenght. After it is dealed no need for it anymore. The struggling point measures the strenght. The longer fight, the more strenght is needed. Some people will never give up but fight till their grave. There could be new and new assaults/accidents/misfortune yet they go on. That is actual strength in action.

Sometimes guys would not listen when things are worded nicely. Nobody have to be a doormat, if a guy is a-h and wont stop then no need to be nice to him either. Of course without reason nobody have to be a-h/b-h but that is again, subjective.

To be honest making your above statement: "Only fully recovered women are strong" is not very compassionate and makes you look like both, in your own terms, a-hole and ugly inside. It is also subjective is that putting you down or analysing your text in context that you actually gave by yourself and bringing the other view on it and trying to help you to succes in your future relationships.

Many of your posts are about a woman should not have problems to bring on your sight because those are not your problems. Good luck for finding people into your life who have no problems during their life. Also traumas etc. are part of peoples life and it is immature to try to demand that part of their life should not be shown to you. You need fully accept that person, also the past. Traumatic, horrible past, are you strong enough for that? Things are more than understand it in theory, you know body reactions, you know something in some person can actually come from former generation Science Is Proving Some Memories Are Passed Down From Our Ancestors - Reset.me ..

You could learn to view things from female pov (in each individuals pov who ever you are dealing with) and you could learn to be compassionate towards women. What comes to your posts generally, you are not. It is a skill to be compassionate and you need to learn to open your senses and feel that. In a relationship you both need to be compassionate toward each others.

There is also studies which shows that men are less compassionate towards women and more compassionate towards their own self. It does not promise any good for relationship succees.

You can of course define things as you like but meanwhile you are looking down on her who is fighting, she is actually stronger than you.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:07 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This I agree with.

Both my wife and my previous GF are considered strong and independent women. I find that attractive in a partner. However, they are very different and our relationships are fundamentally different as a result. The core difference is how we give and take in the relationship. With my previous GF, I had to consistently push for what I want.. and my needs. We compromised all the time but I had to constantly work for it. We worked great for a while, lots of great memories, absolutely no regrets, but it got tiresome after a while. We were better friends because we could do whatever we wanted without having to involve the other.

With my wife, she has her goals and initiates things; as do I. But she never once forgot to involve me in her decisions. The first time she asked if this or that or whatever she had planned was good with me was a novelty. (It was when we stopped working together in this manner did marital problems begin to creep in)
I am probably not good with the compromise part. I tend to just barrel through doing my own thing. I always wanted the guy that fits into my life, not one that I have to turn my life upside down to accommodate.

One of the things I got onto my bf about last night, is that I no longer feel like I have freedom. I can't just stop into the bar on my way home from work for a drink without having to answer to him. I am use to being a free spirit that just does what I want, when I want. I was like that as a teenager also. My mom would call me, asking when I would be home, and sometimes I was at a beach 8-10 hours away. She never knew where I would turn up. I need freedom.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
Maybe this is location dependent because where I live relationships are still based on love and truly wanting the best for the other person as well as being the best version of yourself.
Yeah, I never see the scenario he was painting. I see partnerships based on being in love, respect, and teamwork.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
I think you were rather selective in your reading. For a relationship to be successful there has to be give and take from both parties and I just don't mean doing the chores either.

I think the part about women making endless posts on social media about how men can't handle them is relevant in this case.
The give and take is hard for me. I look at it as though they are trying to change me and who I am. I don't want to be changed. Love me how I am, or don't love me at all. They usually take the don't love me at all. I admit I am hard to love. The guys that can handle me tend to be the bad boys that have lived on the edge. The good guys don't know what to do with me at all. And the bad boys are not interested in the family/ wife life. Which I do want to go along with my bar/ bike fun wild life. Tall order apparently

Old 06-24-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I agree with some, but not all of that. I think if a man wants to date a strong women he needs to be able to hold his own too. I know for myself I am not attracted to anyone who will let me push them around. I prefer someone who will push back a little because they might need to put me back in line so to speak to maintain equality in the relationship.

The challenge is if you know you can get what you want for the most part on your own ... you can forget to be a team player. For example if I want to buy a major purchase I don't not really need my husband to contribute and can easily forget to include him in the decision making, which is really not the best idea for the team as a whole. I almost accidently pulled that stunt with a house purchase once and my husband thankfully put me in my place about that lol. We did end up buying the house though .. but I really had to sell him on it ( in the long run .... now I totally see his point and we probably should have not got this house ... but I will never admit that to him or he will hit the roof lol ! ). In short .. you need to know how and when to push back and be able to make your voice heard. Even strong women can be absolutely wrong about things.
Lol this sounds like me. I will walk all over pushover guys. I own everything in every relationship. My sons father didn't even own the truck he drove every day. I did. Actually I still own my ex husbands truck, and we have been split up over a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships