Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times

Advertisements

It is creepy because of the difference in independence/power levels - it is a power difference when one person has complete freedom, worldliness, independence to make decisions and live on their own, while the other is still tethered to the parents needing direction/supervision, especially with some of the (hopefully clear-headed) choices that need to be made as a 17 y.o. high schooler.

If I had some additional information, for example she was an emancipated minor living independently, maybe I might reach a different conclusion.

But, in general, I think a 19 y.o. college student dating a 17 y.o. high school student is creepy. And the laws may be on my side on this. I have to check. If it happened to my 17 y.o. daughter, I might even invoke those laws!

I understand most of you will disagree with me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM

15 posts, read 12,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
It is creepy because of the difference in independence/power levels - it is a power difference when one person has complete freedom, worldliness, independence to make decisions and live on their own, while the other is still tethered to the parents needing direction/supervision, especially with some of the (hopefully clear-headed) choices that need to be made as a 17 y.o. high schooler.

If I had some additional information, for example she was an emancipated minor living independently, maybe I might reach a different conclusion.

But, in general, I think a 19 y.o. college student dating a 17 y.o. high school student is creepy.

And the laws tend to be on my side on this. If it happened to my 17 y.o. daughter, I might even invoke those laws!

What about 18 year old college student dating 17 year old high school student?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 AM

But we can all agree that 20 and 17 is a stretch and odd

Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
I am female and at age 16 dated a college sophomore. This was in mid 1960s. He introduced me to blues music and was more interesting to talk to than most guys my age. He was drafted to VietbNam and wrote the most interesting letters. We decided we were better friends than lovers and remained so for some time.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:42 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderbrave View Post
Why do you ask this question?

And once again, if you don't get a sense that you're being creepy and your friends haven't said anything about this being creepy, what brought the idea of creepiness to mind?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:

But, in general, I think a 19 y.o. college student dating a 17 y.o. high school student is creepy.

And the laws tend to be on my side on this. If it happened to my 17 y.o. daughter, I might even invoke those laws!

What laws would those be? Age of consent in most states is 16, some are younger while others throw in an age difference, so you'd be out of gas, I see your state of Illinois is 17.

You'd have a hard time convincing a District Attorney that a college freshman is in a position of "power and authority" over a high school Junior/Senior unless they worked together.

So no, the laws aren't really "on your side in this".
You certainly could forbid your daughter to see the guy, but that would be like throwing raw meat into a cage of hungry wolves.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As mentioned, a two year age gap (male older than female) is quite common, in fact the most common gap.

If you are male, how much older are you than your spouse? Younger if female?

The age gap of teenagers is of much more significance than the gap between someone in their 20s or older.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM

914 posts, read 765,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderbrave View Post
Why do you even care? If you like the 17 year old, date/befriend her until she is 18 (which should be this year because she is a senior). Life will go on. You're putting way more analysis into this than is needed for something so minor and temporary.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why do you ask this question?

And once again, if you don't get a sense that you're being creepy and your friends haven't said anything about this being creepy, what brought the idea of creepiness to mind?

I'm just asking the woman's opinion as an example, to see what she considers 'creepy'

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
The age gap of teenagers is much more significant than the gap between say, someone in their 20s or older.
No argument, but you realize that your in theory daughter is in high school with 19 year olds. A college freshmen and a high school senior, or even junior, aren't that much different in maturity levels and brain development in any case (with the male being the laggard).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships