Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times

Advertisements

OP…..if YOU don't think it's "creepy" (even that choice of word to describe it is interesting, but nevermind on that)….then ask the girl out.

Depending on how your birthdays fall you might not even be "two years" apart.
If you're 19 and she's going to turn 18 you're not two years apart.

You're a freshman in college? She's a senior? that puts her one year behind you in school. So what!?

I'm surprised there's even this much debate about this.

How many times do you have to be told -- it's OK. You even say:" But many people around me have said it's ok though."
YOU are the one who's hesitating…..Why? Because you're afraid someone you don't even know while think some way about a two age difference, that MANY NOT EVEN BE a full two years.

Here's a life lesson: Unless a person knows YOU to the core, is a close. loving relative -- OR -- a boss who signs your paycheck -- get over caring "what people think."

This is NOT a big deal….heck it's not even ANY size deal, it's no issue at all. You're creating an issue where one doesn't exist.
How many times do you have to be told that?

Last edited by selhars; 10-12-2016 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 12,258 times
I get it, I just wanted reassurance and don't want to be it like say a 20 year old dating a 17 year old, that's weird

Old 10-12-2016, 01:58 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This is off base and a little uncalled for, taking the OP on face value what's so wrong about a 19 yr old, most who don't know jack about life, being curios and wanting to find out what is right or wrong. Double checking on things isn't a bad idea, especially since she may be jailbait, for lack of a better term.

Maybe being hypercritical of a young man by someone older is "creepy", I know I'm more creeped out by your post than the OP's.
Agreed.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:09 PM

The two of you knew each other in high school and were friends. I doubt there would have been any problem with you dating her then. If you were dating her then, it wouldn't have seemed creepy for you to keep dating her once you were in college. Pretty much the same applies now.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think this poster is trying to say there's a power imbalance due to high school v. college, and under some circumstances I might agree (especially if the girl is in the earlier years of high school and the boy is in his later years of college), but in this particular one, I don't know....
Yes, that is what I'm trying to say...

This Slate article covers a research study that speaks to this power imbalance. An interesting read...

A study confirms every suspicion you ever had about high-school dating.

"Unsurprisingly, the majority of high school boys want to have sex (though only 47.6 percent of freshmen boys do). Unsurprisingly, the majority of high school girls do not (though 50.1 percent of senior girls do). Over the course of four years, the power shifts from the freshman girls who don't want to have sex to the senior boys who do.

The conclusion? Though high-school girls don't really want to have sex, many more of them end up doing so in order to "match" with a high-school boy. For them, a relationship at some point becomes more important than purity. Because of that phenomenon, in schools with more boys than girls, the girls hold more cards and have less sex. Where there are more girls, the male preference for sex tends to win out.

Among senior girls, what's valuable and scarce are boys willing to have a relationship without having sex.

And who does the high-school dating system disadvantage most, statistically? Senior girls, at least according to the skew between stated sexual preferences and actual sexual activity
."

I think this power imbalance will only be exacerbated when it is a senior girl dating a college student.

I'm still good with my belief that my 17 y.o. daughter dating a 19 y.o. college freshman would be a very bad idea. But obviously some here have had good experiences with this scenario.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM

Where does OP say he knew this girl in high school?

It says he got close to her over a few weeks over the summer.

OP, let's be honest, do you really like her or is it more of a physical thing?

Old 10-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Where does OP say he knew this girl in high school?

It says he got close to her over a few weeks over the summer.
I guess I got it from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderbrave View Post
...besides I knew her before I went off to college.
So maybe they weren't friends in hs.

I don't find it creepy, though. She is 17 and he just turned 19. They are only separated by one grade level and aren't even two years apart in age.

I doubt anyone would have a problem if they started dating when he was a senior and she was a junior.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Interesting post, GoCUBS (and go Cubs!).

Old 10-12-2016, 04:07 PM

15 posts, read 12,258 times
I knew her before in Hs, we got closer over the summer

Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM

So you want a real relationship with this girl or more of a hook-up?

Have you tried dating anyone in college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships