Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
At least in terms of high schoolers, the "common wisdom" was that girls are more mature than boys of the same age so dating up a year or two is typical. Of course it can become an issue if one is "of age" and the other is not though most laws also stipulate as long as the gap is less than a certain number of years it doesn't matter if one is underage. But check your state laws to be sure!
It just kind of gave me pause that the OP would worry about "creepiness," especially with them only two years apart (according to the OP)...teens don't typically worry about being creepy when they date a year or two apart, at least in my experience. It's much older people who tend to worry about creepiness as regards age.

Not every single time. The OP's scenario is legit and happens all the time. What are the odds of finding someone EXACTLY your age to the day? It's just something that popped into my mind because I've seen this argument here so many times, stretched and stretched by the years with "but what about..." examples given in the extreme. What about if the guy was only 34 and the girl's 18th birthday was in 12 hours but they had their first date that night, ZOMG I knew a guy who was thrown into jail for that, etc. etc...like that.

But no. In the OP's actual, legitimate situation, it isn't "creepy" for a 19-year-old to date a 17-year old and I am pretty mystified by a very young person (age 19) using that particular word/designation or even thinking such a thing. Never heard of that. There's a first time for everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:13 AM

714 posts, read 748,308 times
When I was 19 I wanted nothing to do with anyone who wasn't in college yet, but if I did there would have been nothing wrong with it.

I have a feeling you may come off as creepy for other reasons given that you asked this, but you wouldn't come off as creepy just for dating a girl ~2 years younger than you.

I knew a guy that always dated about 3 years younger (dated freshmen as a sr in HS) and it was nothing until I found out he was waiting outside of a high school to pick up his 17 year old GF when he was 23. Nothing wrong with a man in his 20s/30s being attracted to a 17 year old physically, but actually wanting to spend time with one? Dude has issues.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
When I was 19 I wanted nothing to do with anyone who wasn't in college yet, but if I did there would have been nothing wrong with it.

I have a feeling you may come off as creepy for other reasons given that you asked this, but you wouldn't come off as creepy just for dating a girl ~2 years younger than you.

I knew a guy that always dated about 3 years younger (dated freshmen as a sr in HS) and it was nothing until I found out he was waiting outside of a high school to pick up his 17 year old GF when he was 23. Nothing wrong with a man in his 20s/30s being attracted to a 17 year old physically, but actually wanting to spend time with one? Dude has issues.
Eh...I'm sure lots of adult men were attracted to 17 year old Britney Spears and would've wanted to "spend time" with her. But I don't see a problem with a 17/19 year old.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,662,141 times
I did it even though it was technically illegal in California. (i didnt care lol) At that age, it was a little bit creepy because a 2 year age gap, especially one is an "adult" and the other is a "minor", is rather big IMO. I remember I felt like a creep because she was still in high school and I was in college. But as an adult in his early 30's, looking back at it, feeling creepy was silly. A 2 year age gap in today's society is nothing at all.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
I have high schoolers 2 years apart. I know my son and his friends think it's extremely creepy when boys his age (17-18) date girls his sister's age (15-16). We've talked specifically about this - they think it's the creepy, desperate upperclassman who goes after the naive younger girl who wants to "be cool." Not a good combo (of course there are exceptions). He has only dated girls in his class. But maybe this perceived creepiness diminishes when kids age a few years. But my son and his HS friends do have a very negative reaction towards this.

God forbid my daughter were in this situation. I would NOT want my 17 y.o. dating a college student.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 10-12-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
I think those who do not think this may come off as creepy should ask the 17-19 year-olds around them about it.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 12,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post

Is it weird for a 19 year old to spend time with a 17 year old?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think those who do not think this may come off as creepy should ask the 17-19 year-olds around them.
I've asked teens before, they've said it's not creepy or anything

Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderbrave View Post
Is it weird for a 19 year old to spend time with a 17 year old?
You have asked twice, so obviously no matter what anyone else may think, you feel a sense of creepiness/weirdness in there somewhere.

So you have your answer.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You have asked twice, so obviously no matter what anyone else may think, you feel a sense of creepiness/weirdness in there somewhere.

So you have your answer.
No, I don't feel a sense of creepiness tbh, and besides I knew her before I went off to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships