Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but really, what's in a man's head with this?

I have a male friend, we've been chummy for three years. He's been a good patient friend to me. I like him and think he's a decent, stable, consistent guy.

Since the holidays or so things have escalated a bit in intensity on his end (I assume he's lonely, he has big life changes coming up). I myself have been very sick and dealing with that. He's been a good guy to me through it, takes cues from me about what I'm up for and so on. No pressure kind of thing (I don't have a lot of energy right now). We've joked about him being on standby for fun if needed while at the same time we had a thoughtful discussion how we didn't want our friendship to end if it became sexual. It was something I feared. He told me more than once he was more worried I would end things, not him. (I know I would not).

The inevitable happened, we had sex one night, for hours actually. It was fantastic. He was kind and sweet and so respectful. He treated me like he was into it. It was effortless really with no awkwardness, it was great!

Other than a text right after he left saying what a great time he had and I was awesome and all that I've heard nothing. I've sent a few follow up texts and a chatty email, the sort of contact we always have. No response. It's been three weeks. In general it isn't weird we'd go three weeks without a real convo, but him to not even respond at all is very weird (before sex anyway).

To be clear - we do not have romantic feelings for one another and simply enjoyed being friends and chatting with one another. He has no reason to fear my feelings have changed.

What gives guys? We aren't young anymore either, if that matters. Sure people hook up but we've been friends for three years, what guy is going to pretend for that long for one night??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I'm sure this topic has been done to death but really, what's in a man's head with this?

I have a male friend, we've been chummy for three years. He's been a good patient friend to me. I like him and think he's a decent, stable, consistent guy.

Since the holidays or so things have escalated a bit in intensity on his end (I assume he's lonely, he has big life changes coming up). I myself have been very sick and dealing with that. He's been a good guy to me through it, takes cues from me about what I'm up for and so on. No pressure kind of thing (I don't have a lot of energy right now). We've joked about him being on standby for fun if needed while at the same time we had a thoughtful discussion how we didn't want our friendship to end if it became sexual. It was something I feared. He told me more than once he was more worried I would end things, not him. (I know I would not).

The inevitable happened, we had sex one night, for hours actually. It was fantastic. He was kind and sweet and so respectful. He treated me like he was into it. It was effortless really with no awkwardness, it was great!

Other than a text right after he left saying what a great time he had and I was awesome and all that I've heard nothing. I've sent a few follow up texts and a chatty email, the sort of contact we always have. No response. It's been three weeks. In general it isn't weird we'd go three weeks without a real convo, but him to not even respond at all is very weird (before sex anyway).

To be clear - we do not have romantic feelings for one another and simply enjoyed being friends and chatting with one another. He has no reason to fear my feelings have changed.

What gives guys? We aren't young anymore either, if that matters. Sure people hook up but we've been friends for three years, what guy is going to pretend for that long for one night??
Ugh sorry magpie.

Yeah, that IS weird, especially since he seemed SO concerned at first that you would do what he is now doing.

I have no idea what he is thinking, but I would send one message telling him that you feel like he's avoiding you, and you wish he wouldn't. You don't expect anything except a conversation.

Hopefully he will be respectful as a friend and reply.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Hard to say.

Maybe he does have stronger feelings but knows you don't? No way to know without asking, and even then, you might get the truth, might get something else.

Some people don't do well crossing lines.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
Who's to say. Only he knows the answer. Same thing happened to me years ago. I slept with a friend, she even spent the night and left in the morning. Said she would talk to me tomorrow, and to this day I have not heard from her. Gone just like that. Hopefully your friend gets back in touch with you, so guys can talk about things, but unfortunately there is no sweeping rhyme or reason why people just ghost on others, even if they really know them.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
This really is disrespectful behavior, as a lover, friend or just human-to-human.

The guy has got to know you are wondering what the deal is, and he won't even deign to reply to you? How is that okay, that he feels alright with leaving you hanging?

Not right.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Who's to say. Only he knows the answer. Same thing happened to me years ago. I slept with a friend, she even spent the night and left in the morning. Said she would talk to me tomorrow, and to this day I have not heard from her.

That's terrible Raptor.

(and anyone else that has happened to)

For me anyway, I don't feel different at all really. The sex was great but mostly because it was so sweet and endearing, which surprised me a little (because that isn't something I can fake). I'm just horribly surprised. I don't want anything different from him really and I was super cool chill chick who didn't get weird or clingy or be like "Sooooo where is this going?".

Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
That's terrible Raptor.

(and anyone else that has happened to)

For me anyway, I don't feel different at all really. The sex was great but mostly because it was so sweet and endearing, which surprised me a little (because that isn't something I can fake). I'm just horribly surprised. I don't want anything different from him really and I was super cool chill chick who didn't get weird or clingy or be like "Sooooo where is this going?".

May we know how old you and this young man are?

Old 05-25-2017, 10:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Well, he got what he came for.

This doesn't surprise me.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
He's feeling awkward. Give him space. You'll reconnect. No biggie. Some times people get weirded out by casual sex (esp the first time with someone), just give them space and don't push, people that are really friends reconnect in time.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, he got what he came for.

This doesn't surprise me.
Not sure.

It seems like three years' investing time in developing a friendship is unlikely in a "I'm here for one thing" scenario. Unless you're really pretty pathetic, anyway. Most people aren't going to sink three years into accessing a hit it and quit it. You don't need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships