Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
My wife has a theory about relationships. To her, the ultimate predictor of longevity in a relationship isn't necessarily similar political views or liking the same things, but having equivalent levels of slobness. If one of you just doffs your duds on the floor when going to bed while the other one hangs everything up, et al, then it creates this constant tension in your common life.

My wife and I, on the neatness/OCD scale are right about a 6. Our house doesn't look like something out of Hoarders, but we'll let things slide for a couple of days. Mind you, I will make the bed every morning and I can't stand to go to sleep with a messy kitchen, but I don't freak out if the newspaper is on the floor for a couple of hours. And if it gets too bad, something will snap in me and I'll just start picking up.

But, on the other hand, if you have someone who is a 2 on the slobness scale who is involved with a 9, everything becomes a battle. "Don't leave that glass on the counter. Put it in the dishwasher." "Are you going to pick that up?" "You need to put that away." Neither side is necessarily wrong, but both sides are major-league irritating the other. And those conflicts arise every hour you're together, something that simply doesn't happen with differing political views.
All of this just described me and my husband (the part about you and your wife) and the other part described a couple that I know. She is severely OCD and a neat freak. Her husband is a neat freak too but if anyone leaves a glass on the counter or a dish in the sink, she totally flips out.

For me, being dirty is different than being a bit of a slob. Yeah, I get a little OCD at times because but we both work and have a busy teenager so sometimes life gets in the way.

Someone filthy would be a deal breaker. A little on the sloppy side, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ha, I have a lady friend that mocked me for vacuuming every time before she came over... Old carpeting just looks so icky so easily.
My husband mocked me when I would clean BEFORE the cleaning lady came lol

Old 06-09-2017, 12:32 PM

473 posts, read 307,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ha, I have a lady friend that mocked me for vacuuming every time before she came over... Old carpeting just looks so icky so easily.

I really really like to cook and bake and do lot of things but I really really don't like to clean after. I would be perfect match with a guy who would like to clean but not bake

Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Total slob? I'll pass. Untidy here and there. No prob. With kids it's unavoidable.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The hands down funnest, funniest, most easy going, intelligent....etc most perfect woman for me, ever. was, to be kind about it... pretty slobby. Felix Unger level. I couldn't complain too much. I'm on the slob spectrum myself, if its left up to me. Every woman before, or since, has been pretty OCD. I had come to associate that with 'normal'. It kind of bothered me that my ex broke all those rules. Yeah we had major league fun, day and night, but I thought... ... what's wrong... she should be making me clean up the house with her. Thing is, all that tidying, and making sure the kitchen is always put to bed ready for an "Architectural Digest" photo shoot first thing in the morning. All that sorting, washing, folding laundry. All that housework takes time. That's why most LTR's and marriages don't have all that much, you know. Takes it's toll. Admit it. It does. So we broke up. The next woman I was with was more conventionally OCD. Keeps me hopping to this day. I wish it had worked out with my ex. Given the choice again, I'm choosing the slob.
Hi Leise! Just to be a PITA nitpicker...it was Oscar Madison who was the slob.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:38 PM

728 posts, read 472,182 times
I think part of the reason the last woman started seeing another guy is because I delayed having her over. I'm not the tidiest person. She wanted to come over, and I always told her I had to clean. From Aug-Dec I didn't have her over.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:49 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post

One of my exes would leave his dirty clothes on the floor instead of putting them in the hamper that was only just a few feet away and my other ex wouldn't soak whatever dishes or pots and pans he used and would leave them in the sink or on the counter.

This is me, and I'm the wife. "Neat-niking" is, for me, a waste of fretful energy. I would have to be a deal-breaker for an OCD man (and those that are, are REAL neat-freaky), because it just wouldn't work. My current husband accepts me as things are but he's not much neater. Therefore, our house always looks lived-in.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:51 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant17 View Post
I think part of the reason the last woman started seeing another guy is because I delayed having her over. I'm not the tidiest person. She wanted to come over, and I always told her I had to clean. From Aug-Dec I didn't have her over.
How long would it take you to clean your place? 2-3 months? Lol

Old 06-09-2017, 01:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hi Leise! Just to be a PITA nitpicker...it was Oscar Madison who was the slob.
Yes, you are correct, of course. And it's too late to fix it. Oh well... see not being OCD has its perks.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant17 View Post
Once you had her over, what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships