Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

If I know someone likes me and I don't like them, I'm not gonna try to be friends with them.

Just be truthful....

Tell them you're not into them, if they don't want to fool with you after that, oh well keep it moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 10:28 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I think you should be honest, and if a person gets mad at you for your honesty, they're not a very good candidate for friendship. A guy who gets mad because you only want to be his friend and not date him, was never going to be shmoozed into being a good friend. I mean, flip the coin here, if the guy only wanted to be in a relationship with you, and he understood that you wanted friendship from him, and he played along and strung you along thinking that friendship would be fine, but he was really just trying to game you into bed the whole time, and didn't give an actual hoot about being your friend...would you like that? If you try to game them into friendship by letting them think they could have love, it's just as bad as them trying to game you into love while letting you think you could have friendship. You want different things, you can be honest about it or you can try to be shmoozy. If you are honest, and they continue under the terms of friendship, they can't get mad later at you for "wasting their time" because hey...you WERE honest...

So as soon as possible, I would tell them what you have to offer them, and what you do not. And tell them that you understand if they prefer to put energy into seeking a partner (who isn't you) rather than nurturing a friendship, but you're sorry, that is all you are down to give them. You are trying to build a social network, not a relationship right now. And then do understand if they stop giving you their time and attention, some men are goal-oriented, and only want to put focus into accomplishing a goal, if that is a relationship, then don't expect them to put energy into a friendship. Don't take it personally.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
How do I get out of this with two friends instead of two guys mad at me?
Make statements like: "I'm glad we're friends", or "It's nice to make new friends, I don't have enough".
Men seem to pick up on this right away. I called someone "buddy" as in "Hiya Buddy" and it seems the light-bulb appeared, and he got the message. You can only get two friends if they're able to be just friends. If they don't want to just be friends, make sure you aren't acting suggestively or flirting.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Platonic friends with two guys that want to get in your pants? lmao Not gonna work! You know it, and I know it.

Ditch them both, and find some gay males to be friends with, LOl

Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Platonic friends with two guys that want to get in your pants? lmao Not gonna work! You know it, and I know it.

^^^^^ this is true

Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM

122 posts, read 65,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

She wants orbiters.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:44 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
The Friend Zone. What a trip that is.......

This is my take.....from a 53 year old divorced guy:

2 types of gals.

1. Really nice woman that likes your style, but just ain't interested in a romantic venture. Not with YOU anyway. She's cool, and she has an extra ticket to the football game. She has cute friends and is comfortable introducing you to them.

2. Bats her baby blues at you whenever she wants you to do something for her. Expects you to foot the bill for dinner & drinks and you get the pleasure of her company in public. Talks about her date the other night and how much bread he shelled out. Expects you to do the same.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
The Friend Zone. What a trip that is.......

This is my take.....from a 53 year old divorced guy:

2 types of gals.

1. Really nice woman that likes your style, but just ain't interested in a romantic venture. Not with YOU anyway. She's cool, and she has an extra ticket to the football game. She has cute friends and is comfortable introducing you to them.

2. Bats her baby blues at you whenever she wants you to do something for her. Expects you to foot the bill for dinner & drinks and you get the pleasure of her company in public. Talks about her date the other night and how much bread he shelled out. Expects you to do the same.
I cannot argue with this.

And, 2 kinds of guys:

1. Outgoing guy who is entertained by a good conversation even if it's not driving him to the bedroom. Understands that there are possible benefits to being in a social network and having friends, besides sex/love with said friends. Knows you might have an extra ticket to the football game or a cute friend you're comfortable introducing him to. Heck, you could end up being a good personal reference for jobs, loans, or other kinds of business, or you might be just the right contact to put together a profitable opportunity one day. Sometimes life is all about who ya know. In the meantime, the conversation is better than sitting at home alone on a Friday night watching TV.

2. Guy who cannot imagine any reason to interact with "females" other than to attempt to bed them, who takes it personally and gets offended when you don't want to. He wants a relationship (whether love or just sex) far more than he cares about you as an individual, or at least that's how it seems. Would rather spend his time home alone complaining on the internet about the friend zone, than out having a pleasant evening in the company of a woman who doesn't want to get naked with him, just talking and joking and having fun. Too focused on what he isn't getting to enjoy anything else.

Different people, different outlooks.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:50 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Shake their hands every time you see them

Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
I'll try the "hey bud" thing next time. I called him bro but he just thought it was cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships