Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:53 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times

Advertisements

I'm now picturing the conversation between MillenialUrbanist's friends and the spouses that he claims they aren't "allowed" to ever be separated from:

Friend: I told MU I'd hang out with him tonight. Come? Please?! You know how he is. I'll owe you big time.
Friend's spouse: Ugh, okay. Only because I love you. There better be booze there!

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 04-04-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:17 PM

378 posts, read 230,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Not your problem.

I'm looking for the most common pattern among all the answers.
What's the pattern looking like so far?

Old 04-04-2018, 03:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
When people make generalizations like MillennialUrbanist did... do you really believe they literally mean every single person in that group or do you believe they mean the majority of people?
When they say they are talking about that entire generation? Hmm.

Yes.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
You’re looking in to the phrase way too clinically.

Relating to anyone (even a loved one) is fraught with different experiences, choices and understandings.

Nobody is the same person, Even if they share similarities
You WILL be met with discrepancy and conflict at some point.

“Hard work” is simply implying their will be times when you will hit roadblocks with someone that will challenge your own perception or perspective and willingness to move forward with them on something.
either you or they will have to be willing to work through with other to keep the channels of communication and thus “relating” open.

It can be hard to admit things about yourself let alone your own partner. In moments like these is when things become “difficult” to manage and not let consume your entire relationship.

As far as the reasons we bother to relate in the first place?
It’s because others hold something we ourselves can not obtain by self.

This is not necessarily a physical or tangible items, although components of those desires and needs may contain them.

Last edited by rego00123; 04-04-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
How much something feels like work depends on how much value you place on its success.

To me the idea of a relationship means very little and I feel it would only get in the way of things I'd rather do and be remembered for.

Some people, perhaps more emotionally aware and available than I, may think differently. Good luck to them. To this control freak workaholic, romantic feelings are to be ignored or, if they're especially troublesome, sublimated so that the time and energy they take up can be put to a purpose I consider more worthwhile.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
There are other factors to consider. In-laws, getting along with her/his friends, work stress, health issues, etc etc etc.

You get along fine with your friends and family because you don't have to live with them or have sex with them or make big financial decisions like buying a house, planning vacations, planning how to retire, etc etc etc.

Some relationships will be easier than others. Some fluke out and don't encounter any difficulties while others are bombarded with problems.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Sorry, does not compute.

Allow me to ask a personal question: what happened to your boyfriend's collections after you two moved in together? Because according to the media/society, the man's collections get thrown out or sold, under the pretext of him "growing up" . I have collections of my own, which is a BIG disincentive for me to allow a woman to move in with me.
Great decision for you

Old 04-05-2018, 11:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
Ive dated guys in the past and its been nothing but hard. A lot of it is trying to make it work and having to work hard to do that. It should NOT be that hard. When you love someone, it's easy. I'm not saying that no effort goes in and relationships arent work- but if it's too much work and if it's hard and thats all the time, then thats not really a relationship. You shouldnt have to work so hard.

I'm dating someone now and it's easy. It's fun. No drama. We talk about things and dont let fights get to a bad place. If it were more work than this, i wouldnt do it. heck no. what's the point? Whats the point in working so hard to make a relationship work when you can have it better and easier?

healthy relationships are easy. bad ones take a lot of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships