Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,525,322 times

Advertisements

Its a common statement that "relationships are hard work" and you need to work at them to make them last and thrive.

But should they be hard work? Why?

My relationships with friends are not hard work. My family relationships are not hard work.

Why should my romantic relationships be hard work?

I'm of the opinion that a relationship is only "hard work" for one of four reasons:

1. You are not compatible or on the same page with that person

2. You are in the relationship for the wrong reasons

3. One or both of you are into games, power plays and/or manipulation

4. One or both of you is insecure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 03:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Its a common statement that "relationships are hard work" and you need to work at them to make them last and thrive.

My relationships with friends are not hard work. My family relationships are not hard work.

I'm of the opinion that a relationship is only "hard work" for one of four reasons:

There are other considerations.

Relationships can be hard work even for stable, compatible people in the sense that in order for them to succeed you have to work against your human nature and NOT put yourself first all the time.

You have to consider another person when making decisions, and over time many people forget that.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:45 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,088,065 times
Because people have to learn how to live together. People have a very easy time doing things that they want and like to do, but not so much when it is someone else that wants and likes to do it.

Do you trust your friends? Most of us would answer, "Of course, not!" or "To a point, yes I do." You have to learn to trust the person you are in a relationship with. When casually dating, trust isn't all that important. When it comes to exclusivity, and blending assets, trust is very important.

Most people have a hard time talking. They have a hard time honestly expressing themselves. Optimally, you will learn to simply look at your mate to know what they are thinking or feeling.

It's hard work not to simply get bogged down in a rut. It's hard work to be working on a career, and also working on not taking your SO for granted.

Simply put, does anything worthwhile come easily? No. You have to work.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:20 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,378,600 times
Well, when you live together you're having to unlearn the "living for myself" mentality and adjust to a new dynamic. I expect more from my romantic partnerships, because there is simply far more involved and "parts" that make it function cohesively. There's a deeper connection and vulnerability, which necessitates a certain level of trust.

And, I do have a high standard for friendships and relationships with kin. If we're not compatible as friends or if the relationship is toxic or there are things that just do not work, I sever ties, so they are no longer "hard" to maintain because I do not expend energy maintaining relationships or friendships that don't work.

In any case, I've never considered my marriage hard work. We work extremely well together, so it functions and feels effortless, and there are many factors that contribute to this. We both went in knowing what we wanted, across multiple areas, many that are often overlooked until it's too late. Even with a gaggle of kids, normal ups and downs of everyday life, struggles, losing loved ones, we've got each other's back. We engage each other and enjoy interacting and know how to communicate effectively.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

Simply put, does anything worthwhile come easily? No. You have to work.
While that is a very popular saying, its factually false.

A lot of worthwhile things come easy. Just depends on the situation.

At the same time, a lot of very difficult things are not worthwhile.

While relationships should not be completely free of challenge (that would make them boring) they should not be extremely difficult either. I think healthy relationships are generally easy with a moderate level of challenge that pops up on occasion.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
There's all types of factors that come into play. Both my husband and I work at our marriage, and it requires tending. While we do not have any of the major problems, we are both strong willed, independent and used to doing things our own way. That can make for a lot of compromises on both parts. I definitely think it's worth it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
In any case, I've never considered my marriage hard work. We work extremely well together, so it functions and feels effortless, and there are many factors that contribute to this. We both went in knowing what we wanted, across multiple areas, many that are often overlooked until it's too late. Even with a gaggle of kids, normal ups and downs of everyday life, struggles, losing loved ones, we've got each other's back. We engage each other and enjoy interacting and know how to communicate effectively.
This is how it should be.

Which is why I think if a relationship feels "hard" its the wrong relationship.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:37 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,358,820 times
Quote:

One of the interesting things about relationships is that they help you grow. Relationships often reveal certain things about yourself that you are not comfortable with.

People who go into relationships seeking easy and smooth sailing are going to be the ones that are overwhelmed.

Some of the people who are more seasoned when it comes to relationships are going to find it a little more worthwhile.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:39 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,088,065 times
Quote:

While relationships should not be completely free of challenge (that would make them boring) they should not be extremely difficult either. I think healthy relationships are generally easy with a moderate level of challenge that pops up on occasion.
Its not false, sorry to disagree. A lot of people take what comes to them easily for granted, which is never more apparent than when you are in a relationship. There are real moments and milestones in relationships that happen because someone wakes up one day feeling taken for granted. One of them is known as "The Seven Year Itch". Sometimes you will hear that so-and-so is going through a "mid life crisis" in their relationship. Both are very real experiences that the couple weathers through or falls apart when it happens.

Over time, we cant help but take our SO for granted sometimes. It happens even in the very best of relationships. The wife ignores the husband because of the kids, and vice versa. Someone focuses on themselves all the time due to an illness, and even when the illness is healed, etc etc etc...

Old 03-31-2018, 04:40 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,358,820 times
Quote:

It does depend on what you consider worthwhile.

Starting a business can be hard depending on you and your business.

I can see that in the bolded. Healthy relationships can be like that. As long as people are on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships