Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Many married men would jump at the opportunity to be with young college girls like that. I knew a woman who worked at Disney World and told about how many young females on summer jobs or internships at Disney often got hit on by married men despite their families (wife and children) being just around the corner. This is common in Epcot or many Disney parks - the married guy trying to "score" while just out of hearing distance from his wife and children in line. Go figure - daddy failure days.
I work with quite a few married guys 40+ and most would jump at the chance to cheat on their wives with a younger female. Thankfully most of these guys just don't have the opportunity or lack the qualities to cheat but some have. Lot of people are in denial if they think their partner is 100% faithful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Economic security is often a major issue in selecting a partner in the US, but not so much where I live. In the first place, this is because labor force participation by women is very high and for the largest segment of the population, wages do not vary greatly.

So, no, income was not a major factor in finding a partner when I was over 40. I had a large list of other characteristics I wanted in a partner (none of them related to economics), but when I met my future partner many of them (but not the most important ones to me) went by the wayside.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:56 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Would you feel the same if this were about a man with the same lack of financial success? But what if he's hot?
I don't care about "financial success" in a good man so if he was poor and hot that would be fine too.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:08 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Yeah, this exactly... I've noticed that those with a long list of requirements generally stay single for that reason. If you are really thirsty you will drink from a garden hose rather than turn it down because it's not bottled water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
So, no, income was not a major factor in finding a partner when I was over 40. I had a large list of other characteristics I wanted in a partner (none of them related to economics), but when I met my future partner many of them (but not the most important ones to me) went by the wayside.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:05 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times
I would put honesty and integrity over education any day. Fortunately I found a woman with both.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:11 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I expect a woman to be able to support herself and not look to me to do it. As long as she can do that and doesn't have extravagant tastes, we're good.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
When it comes to finding a woman your age, how important is it that she has a good job/career? By that I mean, say you were single and met a woman that was pretty, in good shape, fun to be around, nice etc. however say she had never gotten a college education and was working at some very menial job, say burger flipper at McDonald's or the like. Would you be okay with it, or would it be a deal breaker?
I grew up with a lot of non-college bound types but I was one of the few that moved on to college and started a career. That kinda inflated up my ego.. I have to admit. I'm glad that my friends didn't kick some sense into me. While it wasn't a deal breaker it was a strong preference. I ended marrying a lady I met in college. Compared to my previous GF, she was very educated and very career oriented. She is a wonderful person and mother to my children.

We are separated.

I'm still close friends with previous lovers and GFs.... looking back I just might have been happier if I had ended marrying one of them (almost did... one in particular will always be special). Of course this is 20/20 hindsight.

So I guess at not only this age but current situation, I'd probably be ok with someone who never been to college. Keep in mind, I don't think any of my previous love interests are lazy or settle for menial jobs. Most of them are actually very street smart and hustle each and every day. Its just I would now place more importance on someone simply to be happy with.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I would put honesty and integrity over education any day. Fortunately I found a woman with both.
#jackpot

Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I expect a woman to be able to support herself and not look to me to do it. As long as she can do that and doesn't have extravagant tastes, we're good.
I would tend to agree. I posted that I'd like something a little better than fast-food, but whatever.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I think that everyone wants a person with a sense of purpose. For many that purpose is success at work. Somthat may factor into the decision making. Our culture wants work to be someone’s sense of purpose as well, that Puritan work ethic. So when we see someone in a job with limited growth opportunity, we don’t know what to do. Because we do not know their purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships