Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Ummmm.... are you rehearsing?

If you're married and you just HAVE to get on a dating site to "explore your options", please indicate in your profile that you're MARRIED! Or, do not put a picture up - many of us women assume a guy is married if he has no picture. As a single person, it's annoying having to wade through married people on a dating site.
It was a joke, I'm not looking for anything. She asked me to check the site out for myself and I was reminded of all the threads you see here saying "Caught my husband checking out OLD. What could it mean?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
Quote:
Okay you're right.

(I just really hate deception. Don't try to trick me please.)
With the picture being up, he may have just been sarcastic. Only deceiving if you're hard of seeing and using a screen reader.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
If you're married and you just HAVE to get on a dating site to "explore your options", please indicate in your profile that you're MARRIED! Or, do not put a picture up - many of us women assume a guy is married if he has no picture. As a single person, it's annoying having to wade through married people on a dating site.
You know, in early to mid 2000's, there was a dating site called SingleMe. It was filled with married women. (So much for the name!) The women even said so in their profiles, and that they were only on it to look for pen pals. The site was later sued in a class action lawsuit. According to the allegations, the site was letting married people join, to pad their suscriber base.

I'm sure the big boys of today (OKCupid et al.) do the same crap. The difference is that they have deep pockets to hire good lawyers, while SingleMe was a startup.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
I have not tried most of these, so I could be wrong, but from what I understand:

-
-OK Cupid: Like Tinder, both have to Like each other by indicating interest first, and only then can they see each others messages. Any message you write to someone will be unseen until they Like you. .
Haven't been on there since they started cutting so many things out but when did they start this?

Old 09-14-2018, 12:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
In a way, I kind of like the concept that each party has to "like" the other before messages can be exchanged. It would be sooooooooo easy if I could just "like" the ones I'm interested in, and receive return "likes" only from women who are receptive. That would cut down on my initial work trying to initiate contact.

However I'm sticking with OT and eH until the end of the year, will be open to something else if I'm still in the game in January.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:34 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Haven't been on there since they started cutting so many things out but when did they start this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
In a way, I kind of like the concept that each party has to "like" the other before messages can be exchanged. It would be sooooooooo easy if I could just "like" the ones I'm interested in, and receive return "likes" only from women who are receptive. That would cut down on my initial work trying to initiate contact.

However I'm sticking with OT and eH until the end of the year, will be open to something else if I'm still in the game in January.

Honestly I haven't been on it to speak about it with authority. I just learned about it from the below article posted. It looks like you have to like AND message at the same time maybe? Beats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

Old 09-14-2018, 01:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
The article says you have to send a like AND a message to be successful. That won't help me at all.

Meh. I'm happy where I am.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:31 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You know, in early to mid 2000's, there was a dating site called SingleMe. It was filled with married women. (So much for the name!) The women even said so in their profiles, and that they were only on it to look for pen pals. The site was later sued in a class action lawsuit. According to the allegations, the site was letting married people join, to pad their suscriber base.

I'm sure the big boys of today (OKCupid et al.) do the same crap. The difference is that they have deep pockets to hire good lawyers, while SingleMe was a startup.
They don't need to do this any more.

Now they just hire robots and Russian, Nigerian and Chinese scammers to setup fake profiles.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:01 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Honestly I haven't been on it to speak about it with authority. I just learned about it from the below article posted. It looks like you have to like AND message at the same time maybe? Beats me.
I don't know either but bet you a dime it only works if you're a paid subscriber
My password doesn't seem to work anymore so can't tell one way or the other

Old 09-14-2018, 04:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't know either but bet you a dime it only works if you're a paid subscriber
My password doesn't seem to work anymore so can't tell one way or the other
It was sort of in response to women complaining of too many messages.

You can view any message even if you don't "like" -- if you're paid.

Between paid Match, paid Tinder trial, and paid OKC -- I might be instrumental to Match's bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships