Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times

Advertisements

I think worse than 'just ask' are those that are either 'just ask' or barely above it and demand that you say more than just "wud" or "hi" or "you look nice". Well lady there's nothing in your profile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
That would bother me, and depending how involved she is and her brand of theology, she very well could be misrepresenting herself if she truly is a Bible-thumper (I stated my vehement dislike for Bible-thumpers in my profile, as a former Bible-thumper).
I'm a practicing Christian- did not mention that I'm taking classes towards a lay preaching license (that just means I can preach a sermon when the priest wants to take a Sunday off- I don't do it in the streets). I figured that would scare the heck out of most guys. My denomination is very liberal; even here in KS/Mo we regularly ordain gays and lesbians and most clergy will perform same-sex marriages.

What I put in my profile was that I'm in church on Sunday mornings and it would be great but not required if
a guy joined me but they needed to understand that my faith was a part of my life. I did get a promising "match" yesterday- until I read down towards the bottom that "if you have God in your life in any form, we're not compatible". I'm OK with that- better to know it up front.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM

651 posts, read 407,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You'd have to do it to 10 guys at once.
You really don't!

But I honestly find it hard to believe that you would like 10 guys at a time equally. If I match with 10 women in one day (which is not realistic) I would never have any problem prioritizing them from 1 to 10 based on just looks alone. But hey, at the end of the day, you got a good problem to have, as they say, yeah?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
You really don't!

But I honestly find it hard to believe that you would like 10 guys at a time equally. If I match with 10 women in one day (which is not realistic) I would never have any problem prioritizing them from 1 to 10 based on just looks alone. But hey, at the end of the day, you got a good problem to have, as they say, yeah?

Look, I don't know how to say this any other way, but even if a guy is good-looking, if he doesn't know how to talk or is too lazy to talk (which includes writing a couple of lines or more to describe himself in a simple profile) then I'm really not interested in him. Like someone said earlier, it's about emotional intelligence...and social intelligence, as well. I care about looks but that is not all.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM

221 posts, read 184,029 times
Back when I dabbled in that online dating cesspool I'd say close to 50% of all local women's profiles had "just ask" in them. In fact, that was the only text I'd see in the "About Me" section in far too many of those profiles.

The lack of effort these women put into their profiles was all I needed to know how little effort they'll put into any of their relationships.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I think worse than 'just ask' are those that are either 'just ask' or barely above it and demand that you say more than just "wud" or "hi" or "you look nice". Well lady there's nothing in your profile!

I don't mind "Hi's". I just return a "Hi" right back to them.
Then they say "How's your day going?"
and I say "Good, how's yours?"
and they say "Good"
And then they have to think of something deeper or more interesting to say after that. That is where the ones who know how to talk say something more, and the ones who don't know how to talk go silent.

This exchange is actually even MORE common with men I already know. They definitely expect me to do all the talking due to past experiences with me. Sometimes I don't do it (I get tired!) just to test to see what they can do and what would happen to our friendship/relationship if I wasn't carrying it. It's sad how many of them fall completely flat.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 AM

651 posts, read 407,983 times
Quote:
Look, I don't know how to say this any other way, but even if a guy is good-looking, if he doesn't know how to talk or is too lazy to talk (which includes writing a couple of lines or more to describe himself in a simple profile) then I'm really not interested in him. Like someone said earlier, it's about emotional intelligence...and social intelligence, as well. I care about looks but that is not all.
Hey, thats fine with me. Everyone is different. I am not personally drawing any conclusions from how much someone wrote about themselves in their profile.

I am also kinda old school in a sense that its more fun to meet someone when you DONT know anything about them. But like I said, whatever rocks your socks ))

Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
I completely agree. If a person is too lazy to write a profile then I'm too lazy to message them.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
I'm also turned off by people who use the "canned" responses on Match.com. Example: if you both list "coffee and conversation" among your interests, one canned note you can send is, "I see you like coffee and conversation. What are your favorite spots?" To me, that's a non-reply.

They even have drop-down lists for "Bucket list" items: "Visit all 50 states", "Change someone's life for the better", "Fall in love", "Take a wine tour of Napa Valley"... and you can't even enter something not on the list. I suppose that which boxes they check can tell you something about them, but original material is better!

Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm also turned off by people who use the "canned" responses on Match.com. Example: if you both list "coffee and conversation" among your interests, one canned note you can send is, "I see you like coffee and conversation. What are your favorite spots?" To me, that's a non-reply.
I had a free account at Match but decided it was redundant to my two other OLD accounts. I'm glad I didn't pick Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
They even have drop-down lists for "Bucket list" items: "Visit all 50 states", "Change someone's life for the better", "Fall in love", "Take a wine tour of Napa Valley"... and you can't even enter something not on the list. I suppose that which boxes they check can tell you something about them, but original material is better!
That's too bad. My bucket list: end all war, bring mankind together in racial harmony, discover the cure for cancer, and invent nuclear fusion power.

Oh, and I want to vacation in Europe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships