Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:54 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,871,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Rock on, brother. I went to a conservative Christian college and although the people at that school weren't an accurate cross-section of America's youth, it showed me that there are loads of women out there who are looking for a guy like you. I dated a lot of women before I got married and without stopping to think too hard, I could probably say that at least half of 'em wouldn't have come near me if I hadn't been a virgin. You have high standards, and there are women out there with high standards too.

Check this out... it's another true statistic... by age 20, 10% of men are still virgins and 20% of women are still virgins. That means that for every one of you, there's two of them. Them odds ain't bad, methinks!
I can only hope the girls in church are my type, because I don't want to date an athiest or something like that.

Do you believe that most women marry up, just for money? This is from my dad's words, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:59 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I can only hope the girls in church are my type, because I don't want to date an athiest or something like that.

Do you believe that most women marry up, just for money? This is from my dad's words, again.
Heaven knows, my wife sure didn't... because, although I had money when we married, our "plan" was to move far away from my business base which meant we'd at least be starting our lives with more expenses than income. (That was a huge mistake.)

Some women are gold-diggers. Most aren't. Anyone with half a brain can tell who is a gold-digger and who isn't. Here's a perfect way to figure it out. On your first date with a girl, show up in a semi-crappy car (which still works, of course) and go out to eat at a diner, rather than a nice restaurant. If she'll give you a second date, you're golden.

On my first date with she who became my wife, I showed up in my 1985 Chrysler New Yorker (this was in 2006)... we ate at the nearest place for breakfast and at a pizza place for dinner. Hey... I must've done something right.

As for girls at your church being your type... I never dated anyone from any church I attended. It's possible they aren't your type. If they aren't, then just get creative. My wife and I met through Yahoo personals... which is about one of the most "secular" personals sites out there.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Heaven knows, my wife sure didn't... because, although I had money when we married, our "plan" was to move far away from my business base which meant we'd at least be starting our lives with more expenses than income. (That was a huge mistake.)

Some women are gold-diggers. Most aren't. Anyone with half a brain can tell who is a gold-digger and who isn't. Here's a perfect way to figure it out. On your first date with a girl, show up in a semi-crappy car (which still works, of course) and go out to eat at a diner, rather than a nice restaurant. If she'll give you a second date, you're golden.

On my first date with she who became my wife, I showed up in my 1985 Chrysler New Yorker (this was in 2006)... we ate at the nearest place for breakfast and at a pizza place for dinner. Hey... I must've done something right.

As for girls at your church being your type... I never dated anyone from any church I attended. It's possible they aren't your type. If they aren't, then just get creative. My wife and I met through Yahoo personals... which is about one of the most "secular" personals sites out there.
I tried Yahoo personals but, like most dating sites, I had to subscribe. I really can't stand gold diggers. They need to take that somewhere else. If a girl wanted a LTR with me, there's a few things agree on a few things before it gets serious.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 PM

When I was your age, I didn't want to pay for a dating site either... but let's face it... you invest your money in a lot of things... why not invest it in yourself? For the cost of a few gallons of gas, you can buy the opportunity to communicate with thousands of available women and cherry-pick your way through them. You'd spend more on one date with a loser than you would on a month's worth of the chance to weed out the losers from available women. My wife hadn't subscribed, but I had... I was clever enough to be able to get communicating with her despite how she hadn't subscribed.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
When I was your age, I didn't want to pay for a dating site either... but let's face it... you invest your money in a lot of things... why not invest it in yourself? For the cost of a few gallons of gas, you can buy the opportunity to communicate with thousands of available women and cherry-pick your way through them. You'd spend more on one date with a loser than you would on a month's worth of the chance to weed out the losers from available women. My wife hadn't subscribed, but I had... I was clever enough to be able to get communicating with her despite how she hadn't subscribed.
How does this subscribing thing go? I've never tried it. When you met you soo-to-be-wife, what place did you arrange to meet her at?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
How does this subscribing thing go? I've never tried it. When you met you soo-to-be-wife, what place did you arrange to meet her at?
It's an easy process. The website will walk you through it and all you need is a credit card. I arranged to meet she who became my wife in a store parking lot, as that was geographically at the exact middle between our two locations. We held each other for almost 2 1/2 hours before we got too hungry and had to eat... it was a great day. Good luck to you... I've got a gig to play now...

Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It's an easy process. The website will walk you through it and all you need is a credit card. I arranged to meet she who became my wife in a store parking lot, as that was geographically at the exact middle between our two locations. We held each other for almost 2 1/2 hours before we got too hungry and had to eat... it was a great day. Good luck to you... I've got a gig to play now...
Well thanks. You're a good man.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:18 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Here's a perfect way to figure it out. On your first date with a girl, show up in a semi-crappy car (which still works, of course) and go out to eat at a diner, rather than a nice restaurant. If she'll give you a second date, you're golden.

Ah, the ol' Rent-A-Wreck technique! Yep, agree 100% - if they stay with you while watching the road go by through the rusted floorboards, they're a keeper.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,642 times
Quote:
I'm trying not to complain, but yet, people still want to argue. To tell you the truth, I'm getting tired of people complaining on the threads I post. But I don't think I ask about girls liking guys with experience before.
No, this is the first time you've asked that particular question, but within that question were your regular themes of not wanting kids and getting tired of people telling you that you might change your mind. Specifically what I said was this: "If that's not what you want to hear, stop starting threads that include how pissed you are that people keep telling you you might change your mind." If you're tired of people complaining on the posts you write, stop posting the same old stuff. The title of the the thread was new and PART of the original post was new stuff (the stuff about girls liking guys with experience,) but the rest was the same old stuff. In my first post to you on this thread, I didn't complain at all and offered my thoughts to you, but once you complained about AllForCats well-written and sincere message to you, I decided you needed to really hear how at least one person (me) feels about these same questions and your unappreciative responses to some of them.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:51 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,642 times
BTW - I have ABSOLUTELY nothing against you wanting to save yourself for marriage. I think that is really admirable. I also have NOTHING against you not wanting to have kids. But I stand by what I said about it being normal for people to change their minds about many different things over the many phases of their lives.

Having a vasectomy is sometimes reversible and sometimes it's not. I'm sure you're not even thinking about that topic, but I did some research and here's one thing I found (don't know if this is reliable information or not, just something I found online):

Q. What percentage of men have second thoughts and want to reverse their vasectomies?

A. The numbers are around 2 to 6 percent — between 10,000 and 30,000 men a year. Even though we have a pretty good success rate, I still tell men coming in for a vasectomy that this is a permanent form of contraception. I try to make sure that they’ve thought it through and talked with their partner. I’m very reluctant, for example, to perform vasectomies on young single men who have not had children. When we perform a vasectomy, we don’t want to have to reverse it later.

Here's the link: Vasectomy - Expert Q & A - The Myths and Realities of a Vasectomy - NY Times Health

10,000-30,000 men is not an insignificant number. And if you say, "I'm SURE I won't change my mind," do you think those 10,000-30,000 men would have had a vasectomy thinking they would change their minds? Of course not. They were SURE also when they had their vasectomies, but they changed their minds. I am NOT saying you are going to change your mind, but it could happen.

Lest you think I'm against your decision, here's a pretty good article from an NBC interview I saw a while ago about a 28 year old single childless guy who had a vasectomy. It talks about how he deals with telling potential girlfriends and the fact that there ARE women out there who are very suppportive of his decision: Vasectomy at 28: One man's decision - Health - MSNBC.com. I agree you should do what you think you should, but you need to be aware that it's often irreversible in case you do change your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships