Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamdar View Post
Orthodox Jewish men thank God every day for not making them women. I agree with this sentiment. I can not imagine the hell it must be to be a women through all ages of history being mere rape-slaves and playthings for me. To be born a woman must be a terrible punishment for some awful crime in a past life. Women historically have been subhuman in the sense that their entire lives were devoted to being pleasurable toys. Perhaps Aristotle's definition of slave nature is correct, if women were not by nature slaves they would have committed suicide rather than endure such lives of indignity. Not that things have been all that much better for men. Women are but slaves of slaves.
Ok, an arugment that the species should self-select mass suicide. Fitting for this thread and forum, I guess. Next...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
After all, YOU are the one who characterizes housewives as subhuman and without civil rights. No man has said that, no man has even HINTED at that. Some men actually respect women enough that they want to care for them! Imagine!

So...you seem bitter. Why?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
After all, YOU are the one who characterizes housewives as subhuman and without civil rights. No man has said that, no man has even HINTED at that. Some men actually respect women enough that they want to care for them! Imagine!
Certainly. And some men don't. A woman shouldn't have to depend on the availability of a man who wants to care for her; she shouldn't have to be forced to live with someone she doesn't love just because she needs someone to take care of her. She should have access to tools that will enable her to take care of herself. As for subhuman and lacking civil rights -- I don't care what anyone says; I look at substance. If you lack civil rights (such as the right to medical privacy or financial autonomy), then you lack civil rights, even if no one says you lack civil rights. Essentially, what you and your friends here are arguing is that the fewer rights women have, the happier they are. It's untrue, offensive and misogynistic.

Quote:
So...you seem bitter. Why?
You seem illogical. Why? You argue that just because some woman wants to go to college doesn't mean all women should. Okay, agreed. But then you also argue, simultaneously, that just because some woman wants to be an uneducated, totally dependent housewife, all women should want that too; that in fact all women do want that, even if for some reason, the majority of us are saying otherwise. You argue (in this thread and elsewhere) that just because something is important to someone, doesn't mean it should be important to you; but then you simultaneously claim that whatever is important to you should be important to everyone else as well, and whatever is worthless to you should be worthless to all. You contradict yourself at every turn. And since you cannot possibly defend those arguments on the merits, you are reduced to charging that I am "bitter". That is a classic -- counter a woman who says things you don't like by decrying the fact that she isn't chirpy enough. Hey -- don't worry about my happiness. It's not your place.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times
it hard more to do with the development of the suburbs than being a housewife. Remember they were knew had bad roads, every house looks the same, everyone wears the same clothes, and does the same thing

Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
I believe 1950's housewives are the reason we have Valium today!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
And isn't a spouse--once you've married them--family, Brauwyn?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Redisca, only one of the women I have dated worked--not because of me though, they already made that decision on their own. Turns out, the one who worked never had time to spend with me. The rest had an actual relationship with me, and had full financial control over the money I brought in. I only earned it--it's hers to spend as she wishes.

As far as your second paragraph, you seem illogical--since I never addressed that point one way or the other.

And bitter. You should be content with the life YOU'VE chosen, but you're not happy, are you? I am.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Redisca, only one of the women I have dated worked--not because of me though, they already made that decision on their own. Turns out, the one who worked never had time to spend with me. The rest had an actual relationship with me, and had full financial control over the money I brought in. I only earned it--it's hers to spend as she wishes.
That's your personal business. I don't care. No one should be required to do things the way you do them.

Quote:
As far as your second paragraph, you seem illogical--since I never addressed that point one way or the other.
It seems you me, you haven't reached the subject of logic yet in your so-called "self-study".

Quote:
And bitter. You should be content with the life YOU'VE chosen, but you're not happy, are you? I am.
By making comments of this nature, you are proving every one of my points. My happiness, or lack thereof, IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Happiness has nothing to do with rights. And it has nothing to do with educational and professional opportunities. And -- IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Lecturing women on how they sound and on their perceived level of happiness is merely a manifestation of Male Privilege.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM

No one IS required--as I pointed out, that was their PERSONAL choice. As it is your personal choice to be bitter--but don't expect us to not call a spade a spade.

There is no "privilege" when everyone is entitled to do the same.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca;13942316
You seem illogical. Why? You argue that just because some woman wants to go to college doesn't mean [I
all[/i] women should. Okay, agreed. But then you also argue, simultaneously, that just because some woman wants to be an uneducated, totally dependent housewife, all women should want that too; that in fact all women do want that, even if for some reason, the majority of us are saying otherwise. You argue (in this thread and elsewhere) that just because something is important to someone, doesn't mean it should be important to you; but then you simultaneously claim that whatever is important to you should be important to everyone else as well, and whatever is worthless to you should be worthless to all.
Since I never once addressed this, it is illogical to ascribe something to me I never said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships