Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

They were unhappy then
They are unhappy now
Penn state stats show men much happier than women
The 42 million divorces since 1975 (no fault divorce) were not fun guys
but
boys you have come a long way --yeah baby

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-01-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:39 PM

31,079 posts, read 22,094,503 times
They were most likely your grand parents or great grand parents. Many people here like to say how great those relationships were and how they loved each other til they died. I say not!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM

309 posts, read 348,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
They were most likely your grand parents or great grand parents. Many people here like to say how great those relationships were and how they loved each other til they died. I say not!
LOL My grandparents were born between 1907-1910 on both sides. I remember years later all the 50's BS went out the window. This is HOW men and women really feel. It was refreshing. My one grandma ended up in a nursing home. I remember one day my grandpa went over to see her. She had Alzheimers in her final years. This other old man was sitting next to her on the sofa out in the lobby holding her hand. She introduced him to grandpa as "her boyfriend". lol That went over like a fart in church lemme tell ya! lol

Signed :

YOUR HUSBAND SAM!! LMAO

Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 AM

774 posts, read 906,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
People were less isolated back then so the Mothers had more people to talk to during the day. Unlike June Cleaver who never seemed to have any friends or do anything other than parenting and cleaning, my mother had a great time being a housewife.

My 1950s era Mother went to a:

Bowling League
Golfed
Went to a bridge Club
Chatted with ALL the neighbors
Womens Club
Church Socials
Took Classes
Worked Part Time and had tons of friends.

I doubt many women today have such an active social network outside of work.
People of today think about "June Cleaver" as though June Cleaver were a real person.

She was an actress playing a TV role, a role which had hints in it of dissatisfaction with her life, a role where the actress smiled a kind of patrionizing smirk similar to the "smiles" of "happy" black servants. Few people may have noticed the hints in her smile, voice, words, demeanor but I did.

June Cleaver was a fictional character created in TV land by the same kinds of people who later gave us more militant TV characters (male as well as female) that served as role models for our culture to change and to throw out one lifestyle for a New Age lifestyle.

The real 1950's were a better time. Not perfect and yes there were all those bad things then TOO......but better.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM

31,079 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
People of today think about "June Cleaver" as though June Cleaver were a real person.

She was an actress playing a TV role, a role which had hints in it of dissatisfaction with her life, a role where the actress smiled a kind of patrionizing smirk similar to the "smiles" of "happy" black servants. Few people may have noticed the hints in her smile, voice, words, demeanor but I did.

June Cleaver was a fictional character created in TV land by the same kinds of people who later gave us more militant TV characters (male as well as female) that served as role models for our culture to change and to throw out one lifestyle for a New Age lifestyle.

The real 1950's were a better time. Not perfect and yes there were all those bad things then TOO......but better.
Fictional is right: Barbara Billingsley was Divorcee when she played the roll of June Cleaver. How scandalous

Barbara Billingsley:

Glenn Billingsley
(m.1941-47; divorced)
Roy Kellino
(m.1953-56; his death)
William Mortensen
(m.1959-81; his death)

Old 05-02-2014, 04:05 PM

309 posts, read 348,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post

James Dean.......for just one "real" person. I'd nominate Chuck Berry too.

Neither were candy-asses and still hold their ranks even today. Not so much with other watered down figures and spirits.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Why are these old thread getting bumped? Lol

As for today most women don't really have the choice of being a housewife because the number of jobs that could support that lifestyle are very small compared to the 50's.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
The classic concept of a typical unhappy housewife is very much alive still today. In the long run there are not so much interesting things that keep her occupied inside that dutch colonial house when hubby works from 9-5. Plenty have hobbies like attending the garden, cleaning the house, reading true crime litterature but do that from 9-5 day in and day out decade after decade can wear anyone emotionally out.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 AM

111 posts, read 339,994 times
I'm speaking for Brazil, technically, but it's still the 1950s I'm talking about...

My paternal grandmother was a young housewife during the late 50s and she was okay. Her husband treated her pretty well - still does. However, she really did want to make money, but the thing was that she had seven children, the last of whom is my father, in a period of ten years. Constant pregnancies put a strain on the body.

My grandpa actually wanted her to work because he was poor and he thought that the family should have more money. She also didn't go to high school - most elderly Brazilians never got the chance to go to high school. She was married at the age of 17. But the reason why she didn't go to college was because college was simply not an option for people of her social class in those days - especially girls. Women back then were thought of as inferior and working women generally got jobs that paid very little (such as farm laborers, factory workers, and maids). Even women who got good jobs only received only a fraction of what men got.

Luckily, once her children started getting older, she started working again. She had a food vendor which she ran for about 18 years.

While I do think Leave it to Beaver is a dopey show, I think people are being too hard on June Cleaver. She wasn't a real person. And Barbara Billingsley was making lots of money playing her. It's better to make thousands playing a housewife than make nothing actually being one.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:08 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They were unhappy then
They are unhappy now
Penn state stats show men much happier than women
The 42 million divorces since 1975 (no fault divorce) were not fun guys
but
boys you have come a long way --yeah baby
You took the words right out of my mouth ! Women are not happy, period. They always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and when they get there they start looking at other lawns because they STILL aren't happy.

They say they want certain things out of life but even if they get them they still find things to be unhappy about. We men, on the other hand, are pretty basic and well adjusted. It doesn't take much to make and keep us happy. Usually, the only stress in our lives is trying to keep our female companion as happy as we are.

I know women will not agree with those statements, but I see it over and over again. If women would just find some happiness in their current situation life for both her and her partner would be so much easier. The worst part is, since they aren't happy they make damn sure we aren't happy either.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships