Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The women make their own decisions. Obviously, if they are working, they are doing so out of their own individual choice. Unless they're on unemployment (laid off, possibly?), not working can be their own personal choice too...or it could just be a matter of ability. I know of at least one woman on disability that would love to be able to go back to work for pay, but she can't. So I guess in her case, it isn't her choice, but an inability to work. But most people that want to work will work, and those who don't want to work...shouldn't work.
I know many married women with children who don't want to work full-time, but have to, since the cost of basic necessities like food, clothing and shelter has been manipulated to the point where it takes two full-time incomes to provide it. Liberation? Personal choice? I don't know. Maybe for those who are in careers they consider extremely important, but we all need to face it, not every woman is a business superstar. There are plenty of office staff, etc., who frankly NEED the money and that's why they work. They have no choice in this economy. Perhaps soon as necessities continue to be bid up and salaries do not rise and employment remains stagnant, families will either need to embrace polygamy (to add more working adults) and/or child labor (to add another paycheck or two or three).

It's fine and good for some people to ascribe lofty ideals to "today's educated working women," but more often than not, in real life, women are actually forced to work inside and outside the home, is the reality, not "freedom of choice." More and more wealth is being taken out of the hands of the poor and the middle class and hoarded by the few in the USA and they have manipulated the society the way they see fit to earn more profits for themselves, not to "empower" women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
I do taxes during the season. Married clients with children and two incomes? Daycare generally takes up the lion's share of the lower income. Add in the expense of having a second licensed, registered, insured driver with a second car, and you might as well not even go!

None of my girlfriends worked, and I lived with...almost all of them. We got by.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I do taxes during the season. Married clients with children and two incomes? Daycare generally takes up the lion's share of the lower income. Add in the expense of having a second licensed, registered, insured driver with a second car, and you might as well not even go!

None of my girlfriends worked, and I lived with...almost all of them. We got by.
That's Florida. It's different where I am (NYC metro area). You can't live cheap here, either renting or owning. You can get along without a second car, or even without a car altogether, depending on where you live as there is public transportation.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Oh, I get along without a car--but most people aren't me. Too lazy to walk an hour or two.

Plus, they have to have their "toys". Not happy if they can't have "toys" and "blow money".

Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, I get along without a car--but most people aren't me. Too lazy to walk an hour or two.

Plus, they have to have their "toys". Not happy if they can't have "toys" and "blow money".
NYC is definitely a walking town!

I have to hand it to you, though, walking that much in the heat of Florida ain't easy! I hope you do not have to walk a lot like that in the midday sun! (I swear I would melt!)

As for toys, yeah well non-rich people who want too many toys need to sacrifice in other ways to make it these days. (I have heard of men who don't want to get married or have kids precisely because they don't want to give up buying their toys.)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM

I work overnights...and have for a few years. The only problem is that sometimes it's ten hour days, and sometimes it's five or six. When I get out early, the cops harass me, simply for walking down the sidewalk at 2 a.m.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,910 times
I think a lot of the "horror stories" from the 1950s are exaggerated. We're talking about the greatest generation. The majority of women back then weren't obese. They were much more healthy on a whole. The amount of obesity today is a sure sign of depressed women. When women are clouded by too many options or freedoms, they seem to dream up a lot of nonsense. They start attacking themselves, making themselves feel and look unwanted. When women have something to keep their minds and bodies occupied, they seem to stay their healthiest. I'm not being sexist. These are observation. Given the amount of obesity in single mothers today, I can't see how I'm wrong.

The biggest crime of giving these indecisive women too much power is taking away men's roles, making the laziest, most pathetic generations of men in the history of the world. Men who worked their asses off and came home to a household and family they could be proud of were healthy. Men who sit at home, play video games, getting fat and throwing violent temper tantrums when women don't do something they want... even though, they never asked for it. They just expect women to know what they want. Men today are not healthy and we are still more physically powerful. Women should be behind us, supporting men to excel and succeed. Instead, women are trying to ignore the education of boys and put all their efforts into educating girls. That's messed up.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,910 times
By the way, modern feminism is actually about promoting anarchy. You can't have a working society if everyone wants and believes one thing over another. United we stand, divided we fall. There is a reason to keep a communal understanding of right and wrong. When everyone wants separate freedom to do whatever they want, whats stopping society from imploding? It could be easy for one individual to find good reason to kill, rape or destroy. Crime will skyrocket with bitter, angry sociopaths feeling entitled to do whatever, because society isn't representing them. We need a communally accepted system of conduct. There's too many people. If there are no rules, a society with so many people can fold in on itself. So, yes, feminism and the destruction of gender roles have destroyed society.

Anyone who thinks that women were slaves to their husbands and children back in the 1950s need their heads examined. Yes, women were "FREE" to work in steel mills and help the war effort. BUT, they were still far safer doing those petty jobs than their sons, brothers, husbands, uncles suffering overseas. Those boys didn't even eat healthy. They were forced to eat crap... maybe quite literally. Women here had the opportunity to eat whatever they wanted. Before you throw out the age-old excuse that men created that situation, those boys, those sons of those mother forced to suffer those conditions DIDN'T CREATE THAT SITUATION. They were victims of it.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
I wouldn't know. I wasn't born until the late 1980's.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,578,260 times
It was the best of times for him and her. She was getting her fill from the milkman and the postman and he always got nookie because if she declined that would arouse suspicion she's been with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships