Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I also feel it's my place to take care of my husband, but not because he is a man or that it's my duty as a woman to give him an education, put a roof over his head, and food in his belly, but because he is my family. period.
Do you have a single sister!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As far as being bitter, not every woman here comes across than way. But there are a few that do. You're one of them. Your posts always come across from a negative point of view.

I can see what Tkramer is saying.

I would not say Redisca is bitter, but she unequivocally takes a firm stance on the belief that women should abandon the supposedly "mundane and menial" life of a housewife and be as upward and mobile as possible.

I'm all for it if it really benefits the civilization, and that families can maintain strong bonds between each other (despite two overworked parents); but I have yet to see any macro level evidence that it does so.

So my point is, people need to examine if the millions of women who have entered the workforce (and continue to do so) have actually elevated humanity. You know, because we all could just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Seriously, I don't give a dam how accomplished/ambitious anybody is if their own home is a mess and they have crazy children on drugs running the streets! Many people today have MAJOR issues simply because their parents were to busy maintaining a business (aka "a career") that was not even owned by the family. Sad.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I would think they were incredibly depressed. Their entire mission in life was to serve the husband and raise kids. That's a great thing for society but not for individual happiness.
Why would you say that? I don't know of any occupation more worthy of being dignified than being a mother.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why would you say that? I don't know of any occupation more worthy of being dignified than being a mother.
Mother is not an occupation any more than father is.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
I Was just reading about married women in the 50's. I am one of those mothers. Married at 19, had 3 children in 3 years another 2years later, another 4 years later. Yes we were pretty happy. We had other mother home with their children also, and if we got depressed we could always call one of our neighbors for support. Now if someone gets sick or depressed there is no other woman neighbor in the block because they all gone to work. I wouldn't trade those years or my children for anything. My Husband and I were married in 1956, and yes we are still married.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
That's my point. Family is family; taking care of each other. There is no reason to insert gender. Helpless individuals, and those desiring to rescue, aren't a requirement for the care shared among families.

As an example, you feel it's your role as a man to take care of a woman. It's something forced upon you, according to you, and it's gender based. I also feel it's my place to take care of my husband, but not because he is a man or that it's my duty as a woman to give him an education, put a roof over his head, and food in his belly, but because he is my family. period.
My wife had/would have her own ways of taking care of me that do not require her to be employed for pay.

Would it make her less of a woman, less of a person, if she preferred not to work outside of the home and opted to stay home and take care of me while I worked?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Disclaimer- I have a wicked cold, so I'm fuzzy. Sorry if this comes out as a word salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My wife had/would have her own ways of taking care of me that do not require her to be employed for pay.

Would it make her less of a woman, less of a person, if she preferred not to work outside of the home and opted to stay home and take care of me while I worked?
Of course not. You make your decisions for your reasons and being less/more has nothing to do with it. You do whatever works for you. The next person will do what works for him/her. The argument here, tho, is about the availability of choices. Frankly, it blows my mind that I have to argue with any westerner (not you, to be clear) about having the choice to live my simple life as I see fit.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 AM

I totally agree with the idea that you have the right to make a choice.

I have seen some women, though, deride women that actively choose to be a housewife...as being somehow less. Less intelligent, less capable--even to the extent of calling them dumb or lazy. I'm not sure I've seen that HERE, but some posts have come close to saying that a woman who does not work for pay isn't valuable in her own right.

My own edit: You were clear...and the salad was tasty. Needed some dressing though.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I can see what Tkramer is saying.

I would not say Redisca is bitter, but she unequivocally takes a firm stance on the belief that women should abandon the supposedly "mundane and menial" life of a housewife and be as upward and mobile as possible.

I'm all for it if it really benefits the civilization, and that families can maintain strong bonds between each other (despite two overworked parents); but I have yet to see any macro level evidence that it does so.
Are you saying that you're for oppression if women having choices doesn't benefit civilization?

Quote:
So my point is, people need to examine if the millions of women who have entered the workforce (and continue to do so) have actually elevated humanity. You know, because we all could just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
What does this mean? Examine it to what end? What happens post examination?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:

What does this mean? Examine it to what end? What happens post examination?
That's up to them.

It isn't oppression if you choose to do it and it makes you happy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships