Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times

Advertisements

The worst plague IMO for a 15 year girl is a 20 year old boy , when my girl had a 20 year old hitting on her , I drove her down to the college campus between classes to look at all the 20 year old college girls and ask her why aren't these 20 year old girls interested in that 20 year old boy. I think she got it, she thinks he's creepy now, when her friends show up with their 20 year old guy, she knows he's too imature for women his age and will always be that way.
if you suspect alot of late nights and drinking, usually its an older boy in the picture. 15-16-17 year old boys have pretty much the same curfew that girls the same age have.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-15-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wow. What kind of parents let their kids date as early as 11 and 12 years of age? And having same sex friends is very important, but I'd make sure that they were also doing activities like orchestra practice where they could also make friends with the opposite sex. I find what's lacking in some of my 20-something year old friends is the ability to have good platonic friends with the opposite sex.

Anyway, my parents often told me that my "job" as their child was to go to school and do well with my studies. And that was fine with me. My parents also showed me how interesting life could be. We went to art and science museums, I took art and music classes. I had no problems waiting until after college for romance. Sure, I had my crushes, but I was okay with not acting on them. And in high school, I had zero desire to mess with drinking, smoking or drugs, I just had other things I preferred to do. I had several good friends and my college life was very busy, too busy for having a boyfriend. And I was really keen on not getting pregnant by accident. I also knew that I didn't want to rush into a marriage as a young adult. And I didn't want my marriage to be the centerpiece of my whole life either.
Developmentally, it is appropriate for a child to develop within his or her own sex before becoming involved with the opposite sex, even as friends. At least not close friends.

In high school, they need interaction with the opposite sex. In middle school, there's nothing about it that's developmentally necessary.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The worst plague IMO for a 15 year girl is a 20 year old boy , when my girl had a 20 year old hitting on her , I drove her down to the college campus between classes to look at all the 20 year old college girls and ask her why aren't these 20 year old girls interested in that 20 year old boy. I think she got it, she thinks he's creepy now, when her friends show up with their 20 year old guy, she knows he's too imature for women his age and will always be that way.
if you suspect alot of late nights and drinking, usually its an older boy in the picture. 15-16-17 year old boys have pretty much the same curfew that girls the same age have.
Honestly though the 11 year old girls who are pregnant are usually involved with 16 year old boys. To me that's even worse than 20 and 15.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Developmentally, it is appropriate for a child to develop within his or her own sex before becoming involved with the opposite sex, even as friends. At least not close friends.

In high school, they need interaction with the opposite sex. In middle school, there's nothing about it that's developmentally necessary.
I guess that I'm going by my own childhood, and I've always had good friends of both sexes. Shrug.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,144,735 times
Ideally, I would like for my son to wait until high school (junior or senior year). Even then, the thought of him dating would scare me. I would feel unconfortable to see him dating before then. I grew up with a lot of people in middle school who were having sex and/or getting pregnant. That is very scary.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Ideally, I would like for my son to wait until high school (junior or senior year). Even then, the thought of him dating would scare me. I would feel unconfortable to see him dating before then. I grew up with a lot of people in middle school who were having sex and/or getting pregnant. That is very scary.
Exactly. My idea of separating the sexes in middle school may be a good one after all.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Exactly. My idea of separating the sexes in middle school may be a good one after all.
I want him to have friends who are girls, but just the thought of him (or her) taking things too far is scary

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I want him to have friends who are girls, but just the thought of him (or her) taking things too far is scary
Yeah, but IMO there's plenty of time for that in high school. I'm really starting to think that it's just not worth it in middle school.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but IMO there's plenty of time for that in high school. I'm really starting to think that it's just not worth it in middle school.
To a certain extent, I think you might be right. On the other hand, kids need to learn to coexist with the opposite sex at a young age. It's up to the parents, though, to help instill the idea that sex at that age is wrong. Unfortunately, this often falls on deaf ears.

I just PRAY that my son is more interested in things like sports than dating in middle school!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,839 times
My son is 18 and he did not start dating till he was 17, so my daughter who is 11 now will not date till she's 17 either. I do understand that each child has their own level of maturity, and I do see a difference in my children. My daughter gets 10x better grades than my son ever did when he was her age, so when she gets the occasional bad grade I don't make as big a deal as I did when he got bad grades. He complains about that now, and my answer to him is the same "If you don't like the direction the Captain is steering the ship then you can swim". Of course being the father means my wife will give her opinion, say I'm overprotective, and will almost insist my daughter start dating at a younger age because she is mature enough. That's ok because I will have no choice but to follow her on every date she goes on till she turns 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships