Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

If they are all "dolled up" for those kiddie beauty pageants, surely they also should have a "date".

Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
If they are all "dolled up" for those kiddie beauty pageants, surely they also should have a "date".
But why do they have to participate in the pageants. Why can't they just be kids?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Don't have any kids. Don't want any.

However, I would have to say it depends on both (1) their maturity, and (2) the time at which their hormones start raging.

I would think that by the time they are old enough to drive, they should be able to date. Also, it's not like you can watch them 24/7. Crap, opportunities to "play doctor" were available before I could drive. Hahaha.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
I have three daughters. I talked with them as early as 3 or 4 about how I thought no girl should think about marriage until she had figured out how to take care of herself and knew who she was. I talked about how I thought that while some people might be ready early that others might not know these things until they were 27 or so. In elementary school, because they had no brothers just male cousins, I really pushed the idea that it was important to have both female and male friends, not boyfriends.

If they brought up the idea of dating in middle school I 'd just say, that's not really dating, that's just experimenting. I did not forbid the talk but I made it clear I did not consider it a serious thing and I did not encourage it. If I'd known they were hanging out at a boy's house that parent would get a phone call. That was usually deterrent enough because they had an aunt who got pregnant at 14 and I never hesitated to talk to them about that, in a non-judgmental way.

I have one that started dating in college after going on group dates all the way through High school. For prom, she was anxious and going on about it, and we talked about the difference between going with a real guy friend and a date. Finally I said to her, just pick the person you'd be most comfortable going with and I will pay you $25 to call him right now and ask him to go with you. So she did, and he said yes, and then he asked her to his prom, and they had a good time, and was never all angsty about that stuff again.

My last one had more issues (insecurity) with girlfriends and had a lot of male friends all along. For her, though, she was very immature and in 8th or 9th grade she complained about not dating even though it was obvious she was afraid. I told her that she was not her sister and she was not her friends and I really did not think she was ready to date because she was not that comfortable with herself and I really thought she'd be better off if she waited. She immediately was relieved by that. She is in college now and has had a few dates with low risk fellows and is happy. My third is developmentally disabled and is just now interested in having friends to do things with, including boys. She is also in her twenties. I don't see a problem with any of this.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But why do they have to participate in the pageants. Why can't they just be kids?
My question too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships