Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Also, I notice a ton of women online who refer to themselves as Soandso's Mom or Mom of # Kids or WhateverMommy. Is this the first way you can come up with to identify yourself to the world? Is that all you are? Put some thought into it! I know there are more important things in the world to worry about, but that really irritates me.
Yeah, me too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
What do you care what people use as their screenname?

Good grief
Seriously! Perhaps I should change my screen name to Mrstewart, Bfa, Mfa, wife, mother, daughter, neighbor, community volunteer, southerner, Red Sox fan, animal lover, snake hater, pilot, gardener, painter, photographer...

Anything I missed I will add later!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have noticed that some of the posters on this thread seem to have a lot of vitriol about kids.

While I don't have kids myself, I don't go around espousing any kind of hostility to those that do.
Yep and sometimes they go to the parenting forum to tell us parents how much smarter than us they are because they don't have kids.
I just don't get the point of hating. It takes so much energy to hate. I myself dislike people or things but I do not hate.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,473 times
Default Those who can do, those who cant,thats fine too !!

I had mono when aged 15.Dang near killed me.
Side effect was I am sterile. No kids from this guy.
At 17 I fell in love with a woman who already had 4 kids, When I was 18 we married.
She passed away when I was 40.
Otherwise we would probably stil be together.
BESIDES her kids, we opened our house to foster kids, and to a abuse center shelter system. Had over 125 kids in our lives together.

Truth is: In many ways I miss much of dealing with kids,,But I can see why many pass on having kids also.
It all depends on the person, and it's okay to do either.
Some folks do not see a need to have children in their home setting.
Some can't live without them.
Both lifestyles are okay..
I've rescued kids from homes that the parent(s) should never had the child, other times , misfortune (Hard Times) had befallen the family and it was best the child had a home that was better than was given by the parents.
Some folks are just not cut out to parent, others make superparents.
I think those who choose not to reproduce offspring are just as great a person as those who choose to.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
I dont have kids. I have always felt I never wanted any. This is my decision to make. Its not up for debate. Besides . I had cancer in my 20's and lost all my parts .

I personally have experienced a lot of attitude from both sides of this issue. IMO. I think it would be better for kids and the rest of us if ONLY the people who really wanted kids had them. IMO there are too many women out there who have kids because they think they should. Or because they feel pressured by others to be "normal".

I think a lot of ths "tude" comes from people feeling like they are being judged by the other side as some how not "normal". Not everybody wants to know what you think is wrong with them. Im not broke. I dont need fixed.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 03-08-2009 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Ummm. I see a few "Pots " calling a few "Kettles" black.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:50 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOldMan View Post
I had mono when aged 15.Dang near killed me.
Side effect was I am sterile. No kids from this guy.
At 17 I fell in love with a woman who already had 4 kids, When I was 18 we married.
She passed away when I was 40.
Otherwise we would probably stil be together.
BESIDES her kids, we opened our house to foster kids, and to a abuse center shelter system. Had over 125 kids in our lives together.

Truth is: In many ways I miss much of dealing with kids,,But I can see why many pass on having kids also.
It all depends on the person, and it's okay to do either.
Some folks do not see a need to have children in their home setting.
Some can't live without them.
Both lifestyles are okay..
I've rescued kids from homes that the parent(s) should never had the child, other times , misfortune (Hard Times) had befallen the family and it was best the child had a home that was better than was given by the parents.
Some folks are just not cut out to parent, others make superparents.
I think those who choose not to reproduce offspring are just as great a person as those who choose to.
Exactly. Very nicely stated.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,535 times
Quote:
My dad grew up poor in Brooklyn. He had 3 other siblings. My dad talks about his childhood often, what great memories he has. He had a great childhood, close family and a lot of love between them, they didn't have a lot of material things, but they sure did have the things that mean most in life.

Times sure have changed haven't they?
I don't consider four children to be a lot. I don't have a problem with people who have that many kids. It's these crazy people who want six or ten or more. That's ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:54 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,535 times
Quote:
Why do you care what people use as their screenname?

Good grief
I think that he/she was using that example to illustrate how a lot of people base their whole identity on their kids. And some people who base their whole identity on their children act judgemental towards childless people. It's like they don't consider childless people to be complete...because their lives wouldn't be complete without children. So then, they come to message boards on the internet and call these childless people selfish for preferring to invest their time and energy into their careers.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't consider four children to be a lot. I don't have a problem with people who have that many kids. It's these crazy people who want six or ten or more. That's ridiculous.
I think you missed the point of my post, it wasn't so much to do with quantity of children, but quality of life, material things and money.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I think that he/she was using that example to illustrate how a lot of people base their whole identity on their kids. And some people who base their whole identity on their children act judgemental towards childless people. It's like they don't consider childless people to be complete...because their lives wouldn't be complete without children. So then, they come to message boards on the internet and call these childless people selfish for preferring to invest their time and energy into their careers.
A screen name is just that, a screen name. My screen name does not mean I base my whole life on the movie My Cousin Vinny.

And as far as the rest of your post, it goes both ways, I see the hate coming from both sides, not one side is nicer than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships