Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canti1232 View Post
Man, this thread is a sorry site. People who don't want children just seem selfish to me, they don't want there career or sex life in trouble??? That's as selfish as it gets. I mean I always wanted children myself since I was 5. (No Joke) Probably because I only had one brother and wanted more. [cut for length]
So it's selfish to want a career, but it's NOT selfish to want kids so they'll keep you company?

That's a laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
One thing that drives me crazy is all of the TV shows they put on about people who have WAY too many kids.

[cut for length] Most of them will get very little attention and will basically have to raise themselves. A lot of kids do end up raising themselves, and it usually doesn't work out so well.
I basically raised myself (my parents' attention was on alcohol, rather than too many kids), and I grew up to be smart enough NOT to have a buttload of kids (or any, probably)

Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,050,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canti1232 View Post
Man, this thread is a sorry site. People who don't want children just seem selfish to me, they don't want there career or sex life in trouble??? That's as selfish as it gets. I mean I always wanted children myself since I was 5. (No Joke) Probably because I only had one brother and wanted more. And my mom had a miscarriage, which was really sad. I'm only 20 now but hopefully in 3 to 5 years I'll get married and have lots of kids. I'd probably move from California since its expensive. But I say 8 to 10 kids would be enough.
I'd say that's very selfish. 8 to 10 kids?? Seriously? Are you a multimillionaire? If not then those kids and yourself will live in misery. I hope you can find a man who wants to have that many kids and has a lot of money... they'll all be running away.

We get one life to live to the fullest and I see no reason to have to ruin it with a kid who will suck out your time, energy, and money for the rest of your life. Having lots of kids is good for people who have no ambition in life and just want to be stay at home moms and raise children. I have a lot more I want to do with my life then be tied down with kids and constantly worry about raising them everyday.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,269,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I'd say that's very selfish. 8 to 10 kids?? Seriously? Are you a multimillionaire? If not then those kids and yourself will live in misery. I hope you can find a man who want to have that many kids... they'll all be running away.

We get one life to live to the fullest and I see no reason to have to ruin it with a kid who will suck out your time, energy, and money for the rest of your life. Having lots of kids is good for people who have no ambition in life and just want to be stay at home moms and raise children. I have a lot more I want to do with my life then be tied down with tons of kids and constantly worry about if I have enough to give them.

Pardon? I have several children and we have the money to take care of them, feed them, clothe them, send them to good schools and we have not ruined our lives at all. We are both well educated, have enough ambition to own several businesses and be successful WITH several children. Nothing has been put on hold...we travel, we have social lives, we have our careers, we make good money...what else could we want?

Speak of things you know...

Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Pardon? I have several children and we have the money to take care of them, feed them, clothe them, send them to good schools and we have not ruined our lives at all. We are both well educated, have enough ambition to own several businesses and be successful WITH several children. Nothing has been put on hold...we travel, we have social lives, we have our careers, we make good money...what else could we want?

My dad grew up poor in Brooklyn. He had 3 other siblings. My dad talks about his childhood often, what great memories he has. He had a great childhood, close family and a lot of love between them, they didn't have a lot of material things, but they sure did have the things that mean most in life.

Times sure have changed haven't they?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,269,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
My dad grew up poor in Brooklyn. He had 3 other siblings. My dad talks about his childhood often, what great memories he has. He had a great childhood, close family and a lot of love between them, they didn't have a lot of material things, but they sure did have the things that mean most in life.

Times sure have changed haven't they?

You are right! And when did it become anyone else's business to judge those who have more than the 2.1 children? There sure is an abundance of judgment being tossed on this thread...

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Well, technically animals who reproduce are breeders and people are animals, therefore people who reproduce are breeders. I can understand why parents don't like the term though, it does have a negative connotation, I'd never call a good parent that.
As far as I'm concerned, the "negative connotation" is only upon those who use the term in the first place.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:

No kidding. Much too much hot air here from those who know nothing of what they speak. How does that saying go...Better to not speak, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Also, I notice a ton of women online who refer to themselves as Soandso's Mom or Mom of # Kids or WhateverMommy. Is this the first way you can come up with to identify yourself to the world? Is that all you are? Put some thought into it! I know there are more important things in the world to worry about, but that really irritates me.

Why do you care what people use as their screenname?

Good grief

Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
You are right! And when did it become anyone else's business to judge those who have more than the 2.1 children? There sure is an abundance of judgment being tossed on this thread...
I have noticed that some of the posters on this thread seem to have a lot of vitriol about kids.

While I don't have kids myself, I don't go around espousing any kind of hostility to those that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships