Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

If he fit 75% of my dating criteria then of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
yes he is a good guy but he has flaws.
better to wait for george clooney to propose, no sense in "settling".

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes he is a good guy but he has flaws.
better to wait for george clooney to propose, no sense in "settling".
LMAO I'm all out of reps but this was funny

Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
ha ha yes it was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LMAO I'm all out of reps but this was funny

Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,458 times
You know, things are really different today...so many people are feeling the financial crisis, and there are also so many single parents. To me, it would seem more important to know what kind of man he is, and observe how he treats his mother...these men (not those who are unnaturally dependent/connected to their mothers -- and a man can be like that WITHOUT living with his mother) may have the very qualities that women SAY they want in a life partner. You have to consider the situation, the man, and give him a chance...we don't know the particular reasons -- people in Europe, and people in this country in years past, all stayed together in much more nuclear family, a generational family, and I don't know that's such a bad thing. With so many women bemoaning the fact that there are no good men, why wouldn't she give this man a chance for heaven's sake?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:23 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I dated a guy who lived with his parents and he turned out to be my one true love. Everything after him was fillers. I'm so glad I gave him a chance. He was a blind date and was the most awesome guy I've ever known. He lived with his parents and drove an old station wagon to save money for college and he had plenty of money of his own from working to get his own place and nice car but I thought he had his head on straight for taking advantage of the living situation to carve out his future. Some women just don't have very good vision or foresight. Boohoo for her.
I TOTALLY agree with you...

Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
You have to consider the situation, the man, and give him a chance...we don't know the particular reasons ...
With so many women bemoaning the fact that there are no good men, why wouldn't she give this man a chance for heaven's sake?
Really. I would say to look at his relationship with his mother - and don't necessarily fall into the "if he treats his mother like a queen..." trap. If he does, remember that there is only one queen at a time in the monarchy

But, if there is a mutual respect between him and his parents, and a certain emotional distance that doesn't make them all cling together, then award him points for that.

I dated and married a man who lived with his parents into his 30s. He served 4 years in the Air Force, returned home in 1971 to finish his education while living with his parents, and just never got around to moving out (his words). That would have raised a flag, except that he and his folks shared a house - him upstairs and them down - and respected one another's domain. We married, he moved out, and two years later moved to the other side of the country - all without a lot of boo hoos on either side. I think the only fuss was the loss of rent he paid to them curtailed his mother's hobby of going to yard sales (a relief to my FIL. Yee gawds, the junk that woman accumulated ). 25 years later and we are still together.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
I'd say Mr. Right needs to grow up. If he's able bodied and in his mid-late 20s there's no reason to live with his mom. Obviously he has some issues. Even if you're only making minimum wage you can find a cheap place. I did when I was 23 and couldn't imagine living with mom/dad much past that age.

Last edited by zz4guy; 06-23-2009 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 06:34 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,598 times
Nowadays I wouldn't think it's a problem. There is a terrible recession going on + the cost of living is far higher than it was a generation ago when most twenty-somethings could easily afford to get out on their own.

If a girl passes up a guy for the sole reason that he lives with his parents, then that guy should consider himself lucky b/c the girl is most likely a gold-digger. These girls won't be happy until they find the guy with a 10-bedroom 10,000 sq. ft home in a gated community. They might not even be happy with that, they might even require the guy have lavish vacation homes in Maui and St. Tropez.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,655 times
No I would not want to date a grown man living with his mother. If the situation is temporary, then we can possibly see what's up once he gets his act together, but other than that, no. If he's there to save up, then why would there even be a need to date? You need money to date, so then his priorities would not be in order if he plans to spend money on courting a woman rather than saving up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships