Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
In my age group, it's common for a lot of guys to still live at home. I don't really have a problem with this unless they are planning on just staying at home. I think it just makes more sense to stay at home and save money than to pay an obscene amount of rent for an apartment when you're parents live in the same city. If I could have done it over, I'd still be living at home.
This woman speaks the truth, that's why I love her It's funny that women aren't looked down on the same way as men for choosing to live at home. Honestly, I'd have no issue with my woman living at home PROVIDED she was going to move out eventually. There comes a time where you must stand on your own. What does it look like to have to come over your parents house and ask what's for dinner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
That's so mean & hurtful, "Beneath her" ... Such snobbery. I never think of another human-being as above me, beneath me, but only beside me ... No one is ever better than anyone else. We're all created equally~ Some may be just more driven than others, or blessed in areas that others aren't.

In this economy, perhaps he has a good reason for living back home. Hell! He's lucky he can do that and infact, it's not a bad idea. Perhaps he's saving to "buy," in lieu of "rent". Maybe his mother is a lone and in that case she truly blessed to have a son to temporarily move back in and be there for her. Everyone has a story and he may just have one that he doesn't not want to reveal.

I try not to judge and if I'm looking down, it's to extend a guiding hand up.

Your friend doesn't sound so deep and full of meaningful substance. That is a shame. Life is so limited, in the snap of the fingers it can be ripped out and gone in seconds.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,438 times
That is why there the same "eligible" men get the majority of the women.

Women marry up. The ones that marry down either accepted it, settled, or are resentful.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
This woman speaks the truth, that's why I love her It's funny that women aren't looked down on the same way as men for choosing to live at home. Honestly, I'd have no issue with my woman living at home PROVIDED she was going to move out eventually. There comes a time where you must stand on your own. What does it look like to have to come over your parents house and ask what's for dinner

If men started looking down on women who stay at home or who are broke, or unemployed, or don't have much $, that would be true equality of the sexes!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:06 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,826 times
How do divorces and the era of single mothers/fathers play into this situation? Seems like this is common of those in those who are in their 20s.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,642 times
With the state of the economy being what it is, I would be surprised if he DIDN'T live with someone (parents, siblings, roommates, etc.)
I must say that's a pretty lame reason to refuse to date someone.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
many do and 1 in 3 under 30, do live with their mother. imho guys these days are not too sharp, having mom keep an eye on the new girl is a great idea.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,922 times
Your friend could be a gold-digger. If she won't date a guy who could be trying to save up by living with his mom to get his own place, I'm sure she'll definitely date him if he has $$$. Now, if he's just living in his mom's shadow freeloading, then she is in the good.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 PM

491 posts, read 749,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
If men started looking down on women who stay at home or who are broke, or unemployed, or don't have much $, that would be true equality of the sexes!
If that happened there would be a lot more single people. Thankfully for woman men seem for the most part to be more open minded.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,304 times
Default Would you date a guy that lived with his mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifulbrwnbabydoll View Post
I have been trying to set my good friend up with a guy that I know. He is a really nice guy, He is good looking with a terrific body, he does not have children, he does not do drugs, and he has a job and college experience. The only thing is that right now he lives with his mom. He moved in with his mom to save some money and he is working towards moving out.

So I told her all of this, and she said it was o.k. for him to call her, and he called her the day before yesterday. When I talked to her about him today, I asked her was she going to call him back, and she said she was, but I could tell in her voice that she really didn't want to. To make a long story short, I asked her why she didn't want to call him, and she said that it's cause he lives with his mom...and basically he is beneath her.

I was really upset with her about this, and i wonder how many women think like this! If it were me and I saw that they guy had goals and was working toward something I would give him a shot. She won't even give the guy the time of day based on one temporary situation. IMO, it's a shame and I am starting to feel sorry for some of the guys out here that can't even get a chance to be with someone unless they are totally perfect. She is a total B#$%h!!
When a guy still lives with his mother or with his parents, he is a long, long way from being perfect. I take my hat off to your girl friend, sounds like she has her head on straight. I don't care what his circumstances are, in my mind, he has a problem. Of course, I'm a guy, but that is how I feel about the situation. How do you know it's a temporary situation? If he's over twenty he needs to be living in his own home. I wouldn't date a woman that lived with her mother either. In fact, thinking back during my dating days, I met a lady at a video rental business. Over the course of several weeks I became quite fasinated with this lady, she was darn good looking, had a great personality, and was stacked. The best thing, she was interested in going out when her mom could baby sit for her. When she started making arrangements for a baby sitter is when I realized she lived with her mother. I put the brakes on and we remained friends, but we never did go out on that first date. If I were a woman, I wouldn't date anyone that didn't have a few essentials in life already and had no visable signs of supporting himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships