Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
You're definitely not old fashioned for thinking this. I think when you make a decision to have sex that early on, you are really showing how little respect you have for yourself and your values.
Of course the guy is letting her spend the night at his house, she's giving it up! LOL
So if a woman has slept with dozens of men, but she waited until the 10th date, she has more respect for herself and has higher standards & values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:30 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
So if a woman has slept with dozens of men, but she waited until the 10th date, she has more respect for herself and has higher standards & values?
That's actually not what I said. LOL What I said was when a woman just meets a guy then after the first date (or during), she sleeps with him, yeah, she has less self respect UNLESS she and he have made a verbal agreement that it's basically a booty call and nothing will follow.
I think that unless your goal in life is to sleep with every guy you meet five minutes after you meet him, then not many men are going to respect you when they find out that you slept with other men ON the first date.

Make sense??

At the end of the day it's "your" decision to sleep around or not, but for me, and this goes for me too, if you are super easy to bed, then I want nothing serious to do with you. If however, you make me wait, allow me to get to know you and let things progress slowly, I'm far more interested in getting to know you and have far more respect for you.

If I just want to have sex with you, I'm going to let you know it right off the bat and do what I want and be done with you. No strings attached but that's made clear at the beginning.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM

951 posts, read 1,811,945 times
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry
Good advice but likely to fall on deaf ears, especially when many women meet a good looking alpha type who is just too good to be true. Just too much of a risk that he might slip through her fingers.

This is hardly a new phenomenon. However, in most cases, the guy has already decided to eventually look for greener pastures. Why? Because he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
See, that's what MOST women don't get! If you make a man wait...more often than not, he will become more interested because it's not being thrown at him. At least, that was my experience. Of course there were always those guys who wanted to move on to the next best thing, but for those that were truly interested in getting to know me, they waited and were willing to because it was not given up as easily!
When I was in school, (college and earlier) I was constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement and lack of concern for others of those men who could pull this off. In their view, women were only there to satisfy their cravings and they would string them along for as long as it worked or they didn't become bored or irritated.

I somehow doubt that this stops when people get a job. The are just in less contact with others their age.

However, the strategy "make a man wait" does little to snag such a "catch" either because they aren't interested in a relationship and will just look for more easily available conquests.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 AM

951 posts, read 1,811,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. When I was growing up somehow I learned that the last thing you do as a girl is show a guy you like him. You're supposed to act like you don't care originally.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Wonderful! Drive off those who want a relationship because they get the impression that you don't like them![/SIZE]

Quote:
If sex is the only way to show that you like a man, I suppose it doesn't matter how long you wait - assuming that you can hold his interest that long.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
Quote:
That's actually not what I said. LOL What I said was when a woman just meets a guy then after the first date (or during), she sleeps with him, yeah, she has less self respect UNLESS she and he have made a verbal agreement that it's basically a booty call and nothing will follow.
I think that unless your goal in life is to sleep with every guy you meet five minutes after you meet him, then not many men are going to respect you when they find out that you slept with other men ON the first date.

Make sense??

At the end of the day it's "your" decision to sleep around or not, but for me, and this goes for me too, if you are super easy to bed, then I want nothing serious to do with you. If however, you make me wait, allow me to get to know you and let things progress slowly, I'm far more interested in getting to know you and have far more respect for you.
But how does sleeping with someone on the first date equate to sleeping around?

It always makes me chuckle that girls play these games where they "make him wait" and yet they've been with dozens of men. They justify themselves by saying "Well I wasn't sleeping around because I didn't put out in the beginning" and that they're not "easy" because they made the guy work or wait a little.

Quote:
If I just want to have sex with you, I'm going to let you know it right off the bat and do what I want and be done with you. No strings attached but that's made clear at the beginning.

Now you're contradicting yourself. Which is it? Does one have less respect for oneself if they put out on the first date or not?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
I have never and would never have sex with a woman I've haven't gotten to know over a period of time. A few weeks, at least.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
My current relationship started out as a one night stand.

I now consider it a 6 year stand, and we're getting married soon

Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
You are wise, not old-fashioned!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry
Good advice but likely to fall on deaf ears, especially when many women meet a good looking alpha type who is just too good to be true. Just too much of a risk that he might slip through her fingers.

This is hardly a new phenomenon. However, in most cases, the guy has already decided to eventually look for greener pastures. Why? Because he can.

When I was in school, (college and earlier) I was constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement and lack of concern for others of those men who could pull this off. In their view, women were only there to satisfy their cravings and they would string them along for as long as it worked or they didn't become bored or irritated.

I somehow doubt that this stops when people get a job. The are just in less contact with others their age.

However, the strategy "make a man wait" does little to snag such a "catch" either because they aren't interested in a relationship and will just look for more easily available conquests.
Just the type most females hope will have their pecker fall off-LOL!

And, considering the amount of "conquests" most of these losers have and will have in a lifetime, it probably will.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,032,219 times
Quote:
But how does sleeping with someone on the first date equate to sleeping around?

Now you're contradicting yourself. Which is it? Does one have less respect for oneself if they put out on the first date or not?
It doesn't equate to sleeping around per se, but I do believe the possibility is higher.

If X sleeps with people on the first date, then X probably doesn't view sex as something that should be kept between love or relationships, because it's nearly impossible to be in love with someone you're on a first date with - and you're obviously not in a relationship. First date sex is sort of like playing Russian roulette. No one really knows what's going to happen afterwards. It could result in a one night stand or marriage.

Since X doesn't see sex as a relationship-only activity, then X is more likely to engage in it outside the contexts of a relationship, hence the "sleeping around" stereotype that might fall upon him/her.

I don't necessarily think that having sex on a first date means someone has less respect for him/herself than someone who doesn't, but there are definitely people out there who immediately have sex because they think it's a way to keep the other person around. So, technically, they think sex is the only thing they have to offer. This is associated with low self-esteem.

Also, you have to question whether a person had sex on the first date with someone once, or twenty times (with twenty different people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships