Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the positive input everyone. The main reason I'm moving to Nashville is that I'm a guitar player and I played in bands for quite a long time when I was younger. I've been to all fifty states and being the analytical person that I am I really looked at the pros and cons of all of them including climate, crime, housing costs, taxes, etc. Tennessee is much less expensive than where I live now and I like the variety of music that you can listen to. I'd also like to meet some other musicians and maybe play again although I've got to be careful because I have a serious inner ear problem. I just retired at the end of December and I've just been trying to get this house sold. I'm also into photography and traveling. I'm really an easy going person who doesn't like conflict (just friendly debates about religion,etc) and I have a kind of goofball sense of humour.
I have so many friends and coworkers who end up perpetually single after they get into their fourties that it's unbelievable. I have been thinking of trying one of those online dating websites and maybe I will once I get moved. Anyway, thanks again for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 153,722 times
Hello Montana Guy...I agree with Wisteria..Get Out There and Get Going! I Hope You Have Faith and Believe in Yourself....Will You Dare To Believe that there is a "Special Lady" just for You? She may be waiting in Nashville for all you know...Remember all you get from "Waiting" is...More Waiting...I'm older then you and I just dropped a relationship cause the lady was a user and I was to blind to see it....Lesson for me is...Keep my head clear so my emotions dont run away with me...Do you think I will give up now because I had a bad experience? No Way! I Refuse to Give Up!!! I will be moving to Tenn.this fall...Maybe my lady is there also...I would like to suggest that you Find Out what works for you and what doesn't...Then elimanate what doesnt! Like AGE for one,Its ONLY NUMBERS! Old is an Attitude! Think about it...You say well I'm too OLD for that now...Where is that written? Is That in Stone??? I dont think so...Stuck in our ways is only something we decide...its a choice and we can change it....What we Think and what we Speak is what makes thing Happen or Not...Claim for yourself...Life,Love, Happiness its waiting for You...Are You willing to go for all of it? With all the people in this world we have no excuse to be Lonely. I Truly Believe You can have your Hearts Desire! I'll climb down from my soap box now...Go Get Her Montana!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:28 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Wisteria and Buckeye Guy, that's what I was thinking, too. Montana Guy, I think the best way to meet women is not to go looking for them! Just do what you enjoy doing (and you've got a pretty wide range of interests there) and just be yourself. When you do things you enjoy, you're not as self-conscious about women. Even if you join a group or activity that has no single women, there's a REAL good chance that another member will have a relative, neighbor, friend, etc. that they can introduce you to. Best of luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Default Difficuult to find a Relationship?

No. I meet women everywhere. So many older women live a hermit like existence it's fairly easy to develop a relationship. I'm not sure where Chandler AZ is, but the smallness of the town may be holding you back. Remember this, "Women are waiting for you to approach them."

Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,005 times
well, I certainly wouldn't have a clue as to how to approach this issue, being as how I am a VERY young man, but I would think one thing that would help is self-confidence. Good luck to you, and go get em!!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
The older one gets,the harder it is to meet that "someone". Activities outside ones' workplace is definitely a good start. It seems as we get older the "pool" from which to choose from is smaller. Church is a good place,for the simple reason that the opposite sex has the same outlook as you and the bond one has with Him is mutual. I wish you good luck and Godspeed. By the way I LOVE Montana!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Oh boy! I didn't know what to write. I'm your age and single.

It is a bit harder finding someone than when you're younger I suppose because then everyone is looking. What becomes more of a problem is the reason one is single. Was there abuse, meaness, self-centerdness, laziness, drugs? How was the divorce handled by that person (if there was one), were they greedy or reasonable?

Then there's the current life situation. Do they still have kids at home who are their major priority, if they're not in the same financial situation that can be a no-go for many, they may seem good but have an important hobby you can't stand, they have a position about something that's diametrically opposed to yours, etc. All kind of things to take into account.

They say it's a numbers game so internet dating may be a good choice if there is a decent selection where you live. Or, you may have to cast your net a little further. I'm convinced that a degree of flexibility is necessary. There are plenty of single women out here though I did find I said the same thing about finding single men. You have to put some effort into it. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I can sympathize with some of you people who are retired or at least thinking about it, and are realizing that you are alone and don't want to be. I was divorced about five years ago for fourteen months,and remarried the same person, because I didn't want to be alone,even though I had my children close by and was raising five of the grandchildren.(I also needed the money) OT another thread.. Anyway, while I was divorced, I had this negative opinion about myself that was eating away my very soul.People would think I was too old, too skinny, too set in my ways and on and on. You people have so much to offer someone. You are bright, witty, experienced in life and have time or (will shortly) to really enjoy doing the things you have wanted for years. So don't be shy, that person ain't gonna show up on your doorstep, you have to do a little searching. Just remember that person could be at a restaurant you go to, on the golf course, at church maybe even here on cd?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Exclamation Sgoldie-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Oh boy! I didn't know what to write. I'm your age and single.

It is a bit harder finding someone than when you're younger I suppose because then everyone is looking. What becomes more of a problem is the reason one is single. Was there abuse, meaness, self-centerdness, laziness, drugs? How was the divorce handled by that person (if there was one), were they greedy or reasonable?

Then there's the current life situation. Do they still have kids at home who are their major priority, if they're not in the same financial situation that can be a no-go for many, they may seem good but have an important hobby you can't stand, they have a position about something that's diametrically opposed to yours, etc. All kind of things to take into account.

They say it's a numbers game so internet dating may be a good choice if there is a decent selection where you live. Or, you may have to cast your net a little further. I'm convinced that a degree of flexibility is necessary. There are plenty of single women out here though I did find I said the same thing about finding single men. You have to put some effort into it. Good luck.

what a good post. Speaking with some friends- I do have to agree with you- people supporting their older kids is a big handicap for some.

Maybe by late 50's its different, but anyone late 30s or 40s wants a real relationship- not some extended family (lol- yeah Step by Step[tv show] Suzanne Somers type family Hollywood idea-that exists on tv).

IMO most women do not want a "built in" family. Older kids from other marriages are not an asset. There is a poster here whose kids were inherited from the first wife. It rarely works out.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
That wasn't exactly what I meant. I get along well with kids of all ages. I have found though that some men have kids that are losers, when mine are incredible, and that makes for some uncomfortableness for me.

The other thing you find is that a man in his 50's may have a five year old. You know the kind that married the woman half his age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships