Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 09:19 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Depends on your definition of "take it with you."
I think her/his point was that if you spend your entire life accumulating money and then you die. . . well, what's the point? Yes, I know one can bring up leaving the money to children/family or a charity, but still - it seems rather pointless to save all your money only to never even use it. Enjoy it a little while you're alive. It's just like youth. . . there are some people who sacrifice their youth for career, but by the time they get to enjoy the fruits of their success, they're too old and burned out to fully relish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
Quote:
Depends on your definition of "take it with you."
How so? Well unless you are being literal. I agree, you could be buried or cremated with all your wordly wealth if you so choose. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I think her/his point was that if you spend your entire life accumulating money and then you die. . . well, what's the point? Yes, I know one can bring up leaving the money to children/family or a charity, but still - it seems rather pointless to save all your money only to never even use it. Enjoy it a little while you're alive. It's just like youth. . . there are some people who sacrifice their youth for career, but by the time they get to enjoy the fruits of their success, they're too old and burned out to fully relish it.
Thank you, mango. That's exactly what I meant.
Not to mention a life spent solely on the purpose of accumulating wealth AND constantly growling about it like a mangy dog protecting a bone, well that just seems like a monumental waste of a life to me. **shrug**

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,409,437 times
I was going to go to DC this summer. But I don't need to anymore. Certain threads just turn out like congress, on here. "Look at my point of view." "How dare you request that!!"

Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
you know you can't take it with you when you die right?
I'm really beyond the years when I was sacrificing to build up my nest egg.

However, I doubt that I'll ever get to the point where "the next time i get that urge, I'll just buy a house for a woman I don't like!"

I like the life I'm living and the divorced guys I know cannot live that life.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
no, women like expensive cars that men drive.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
I'm really beyond the years when I was sacrificing to build up my nest egg.

However, I doubt that I'll ever get to the point where "the next time i get that urge, I'll just buy a house for a woman I don't like!"

I like the life I'm living and the divorced guys I know cannot live that life.
You sound like my Dad did a few years back.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Ladies don't like expensive cars, they LIKE full-size trucks and boats!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
How so? Well unless you are being literal. I agree, you could be buried or cremated with all your wordly wealth if you so choose. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

Thank you, mango. That's exactly what I meant.
Not to mention a life spent solely on the purpose of accumulating wealth AND constantly growling about it like a mangy dog protecting a bone, well that just seems like a monumental waste of a life to me. **shrug**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
It really depends on your perspective. The ancient Egyptians believed that if you were buried with all your wealth then it would be there to help you to find your way to the afterlife. Viking leaders used to burn their bodies on ships with all their possessions hoping to take it with them and if you ever happen to go to Xi'an China you can see one of the most amazing displays of someone taking their wealth with them. Even today the practice of creating wills, trusts and foundations and (until recently) entails is/was common. I can see the wisdom in using your money while your alive, but depending on your beliefs there are actually quite a few potential ways to take your money with you, or at least control it, after you die.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
I like expensive cars, but not necessarily the man behind the wheel, or woman for that matter. If I do happen to like them the car is just an extra added bonus. As long as I get to drive it.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:04 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,791 times
Quote:
It really depends on your perspective. The ancient Egyptians believed that if you were buried with all your wealth then it would be there to help you to find your way to the afterlife. Viking leaders used to burn their bodies on ships with all their possessions hoping to take it with them and if you ever happen to go to Xi'an China you can see one of the most amazing displays of someone taking their wealth with them. Even today the practice of creating wills, trusts and foundations and (until recently) entails is/was common. I can see the wisdom in using your money while your alive, but depending on your beliefs there are actually quite a few potential ways to take your money with you, or at least control it, after you die.
Please explain these potential ways. We live in neither Ancient Egypt or with the Vikings. Besides, we've also found the wealth in the Egyptian tombs so they obviously didn't transcend into another realm (or did they?).

Regardless of whether or not you can control it (which is definitely possible), the fact is that you're still dead and thus will be unable to enjoy it. I suppose this varies depending on religious beliefs though. I still fail to see how you can take your money with you. Do they even use money in the afterlife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships