Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Amen sista! We just gotta use the right bait is all!
So tell me this. Would you still expect your bf to buy you things if all you gave him was companionship? Or is he supposed to buy you things because youre coming off some of that hot stuff for him? I guess one can be a gf this week and a wh*re the next, hey? Oh yea "sista!" If it looks or smells like "bait" What man would want it?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Call me old fashioned, but I still think it's the man's job to be the main breadwinner in the family.
Quote:
Basically the woman's role is to be good company! The man gets the priviledge to be with us.
You started off okay but then stumbled. Desiring a man to be the breadwinner is old-fashioned, but regarding your company as a privilege that his money pays for is not. The old-fashioned mindset that goes with the male breadwinner is that the woman takes care of the house and social duties of the family. A wealthy woman manages the household staff who do the cooking and cleaning, but she spends her days writing letters and calling on people to keep her family in good social standing, volunteering and doing charity work, and making sure her husband is comfortable and well attended to.

By the way, the idea that a boyfriend would pay your cell phone bill is not old-fashioned at all. Traditionally, only a fiance is allowed to give you expensive presents, and monthly check for $75 or whatever certainly qualifies. Accepting gifts like that from boyfriends, in the old-fashioned mindset, is tacky and cheap.

A husband is a different matter, but this thread isn't about a couple sharing household expenses, and I don't think your response is either. Your post seems to indicate that it's okay to expect a man to pay for everything, including the pleasure of your company, while you do nothing to reciprocate--and your defense is that it's the good, old-fashioned way to be. It's not.

If you've snagged yourself a boyfriend who doesn't mind paying your bills, bully for you. But don't despise people who haven't or choose not to, and don't imagine that the tenets of traditional manners are on your side. I come from a long line of old-fashioned housewives who would be appalled at the idea.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You started off okay but then stumbled. Desiring a man to be the breadwinner is old-fashioned, but regarding your company as a privilege that his money pays for is not. The old-fashioned mindset that goes with the male breadwinner is that the woman takes care of the house and social duties of the family. A wealthy woman manages the household staff who do the cooking and cleaning, but she spends her days writing letters and calling on people to keep her family in good social standing, volunteering and doing charity work, and making sure her husband is comfortable and well attended to.

By the way, the idea that a boyfriend would pay your cell phone bill is not old-fashioned at all. Traditionally, only a fiance is allowed to give you expensive presents, and monthly check for $75 or whatever certainly qualifies. Accepting gifts like that from boyfriends, in the old-fashioned mindset, is tacky and cheap.

A husband is a different matter, but this thread isn't about a couple sharing household expenses, and I don't think your response is either. Your post seems to indicate that it's okay to expect a man to pay for everything, including the pleasure of your company, while you do nothing to reciprocate--and your defense is that it's the good, old-fashioned way to be. It's not.

If you've snagged yourself a boyfriend who doesn't mind paying your bills, bully for you. But don't despise people who haven't or choose not to, and don't imagine that the tenets of traditional manners are on your side. I come from a long line of old-fashioned housewives who would be appalled at the idea.
I'd be disowned if I accepted money or expensive gifts from a man I was not in a long term relationship that was, at least in theory, heading for marriage. My family, although modern in some ways, has enough of that old world thing going on to make the bolded bit very true.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Would rep if I could. Well stated, Julia.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I dont see what is so bad about helping a gf or bf out if money is tight. When i was dating my ex, he was going to school full time and working, but money was still very tight. I was in a bit better financial situation at the time and would buy groceries for him at times.

Does that make him a manhoe.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont see what is so bad about helping a gf or bf out if money is tight. When i was dating my ex, he was going to school full time and working, but money was still very tight. I was in a bit better financial situation at the time and would buy groceries for him at times.

Does that make him a manhoe.
Hi 2mares. I see a big difference in you helping your bf with a few groceries and the poster on here who "expects" to be compensated in one form or the other for simply being a part of her bf's life. She reasons that he "should" pay for her stuff because he has more money than her. Whereas your bf was attempting to better his [and yours] situation thru school, she makes no mention of at least trying to better herself. She just wants what he has because he has it and she wants it.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Hi 2mares. I see a big difference in you helping your bf with a few groceries and the poster on here who "expects" to be compensated in one form or the other for simply being a part of her bf's life. She reasons that he "should" pay for her stuff because he has more money than her. Whereas your bf was attempting to better his [and yours] situation thru school, she makes no mention of at least trying to better herself. She just wants what he has because he has it and she wants it.
Exactly. My dad was not a "manhoe" because my mom supported the family while he was getting his business up and running and your ex wasn't one either. They were not just sitting on the butts and expecting to have offerings brought to them simply because they were willing to grace their wife/gf with their existence

Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
It doesn't appeal to you because you obviously can't afford it. To those that can, it's no big deal.
I can afford it! Easily! And it IS a big deal. Most men, with or without alot of money, prefer women with ambition. Ambition that doesnt include being a parasite. And a parasite is how you present yourself on here. To be honest with you young lady, I am very happy that my 3 daughters are ambitious and motivated. I would have been heartbroken had they turned out like you. But I hope you have a great day. Okay?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 AM

19,534 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Am I reading that right, this chick expects her guy to pay for 'EVERYTHING' ?

I personally couldn't do that - to anyone. Maybe it's the way I was raised.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM

182 posts, read 298,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Because I don't make a ton of money and he would know that. For him to tell me he loves me, and then blow his money on something dumb, while he just looks at me like, "well hope you make enough to pay the rent this month".That is very stupid. If you are a woman with great means, you will never need any money from anybody, but not everyone has that.
Maybe if you learned to operate the french fry machine too at your job instead of just the cash register, you would get a raise and not have to be a leechhoe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships