Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont know what you are talking about seeing men depend on women. I do see women buy gifts for men or voluntarily give them money on certain occasions

But I think this problem is far more prevalent in women then it is in men. (Not to say there are NOT men who dont leech off women, but it doens't happen often)

I remember I took a girl out on a date and she and I were eating at TGI Fridays, and altogether our meal was about $25 I think? (This was about a year ago) And she looked at me and said "You're gonna pay for this right?" This was after she already said my car was "Fhucked up" because I had one mismatching rim

I paid for everything for her that whole night, must have cost me at least $150 for the whole night. Needless to say that was not only our first date but also our last.

The sad thing is more and more women are becoming like what I just described above. It is a serious problem in America. I know some girls who have more money then I do yet they dont have jobs because they depend on men for everything. One even said "I am a woman, I shouldn't have to work, thats what men are for"
First I have to ask, if the meal was $25, what did you two do that cost you $125.00?

I have to disagree that more and more women expect men to pay for everything. Im over 45 and I have seen just the opposite. When I began dateing it was pretty much and unspoken rule that guys paid for dates. Dating later, I observed it more common for women to pay sometimes or go dutch. Ant now in my 40's it is very common for women to pay and certainly to not expect for everything to be paid for.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman51 View Post
Maybe if you learned to operate the french fry machine too at your job instead of just the cash register, you would get a raise and not have to be a leechhoe!
What do you know about what I do? Obviously, I never would "require" a man to give me money just because I sleep with him, but if he is not generous, its gonna be a dealbreaker. Not that its any ofyourbis, but I am saving money to start my own business. That makes things tight sometimes. I don't need to learn to work the cash register, I got bigger plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
First of all, you don't know what "most men" want, Dan, so just present your own personal views on the subject. Just because you're a man doesn't mean you can speak for "most" men, sorry. Also, what makes you think a woman who is being financially assisted by her man is not ambitious? I'm very ambitious and successful in my own way however my boyfriend strongly believe that it's his responsibility to take care of me. I don't even ask. This is how some men are wired, period.
Yup. Same here. I am ambitious too, and that doesn't mean he doesn't make sure his woman is happy. In fact, he has told me he would feel like less of a man if he didn't help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I never have required a man to pay my bills, but I do echo the sentiments that if a man has the means and he knows a woman is struggling, he should help her. If my ex hadn't helped me, we would have broken up sooner than we did. And yes I would have done the same for him if I had the means.

I can do bad by myself. If we are going to be in each other's lives we have to make each other's lives better or what's the point?
Exactly! Men who only ask, ask, ask, and never give back, are just liars. A man who cares, shows it. I can get kisses and hugs from any guy, but only a guy who cares will actually prove it by helping out and being useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman51 View Post
If Rons woman tells him he isnt "getting any" unless he pays her cell phone bill and he pays it, he's a sucker. There is alot of no strings attached women out there. If Ron cares for the woman and she is in a bad spot temporarily [not a leech that feels it is her right to be taken care of just because she breaths oxygen] and Ron can afford it. Thats a provider. It seems to me that what is going to get a mans goat, especially my uncles' [Capt. Dan] is when a woman that is quite capable of taking care of her own needs chooses not to. Instead letting a man take care of her just because "its a priviledge for him to have her company." Its all fine and well if a woman chooses to be a "kept woman." But lets call her what she is. Eye candy. A steady piece. An ego assuager. But a lady? If you want to be a kept woman and still be called a lady you should think about becoming a wife! But hey. Thats what is great about being in a free country isnt it? We are free to live the lifestyle we choose.
Cause we know all wives are ladies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
First I have to ask, if the meal was $25, what did you two do that cost you $125.00?

I have to disagree that more and more women expect men to pay for everything. Im over 45 and I have seen just the opposite. When I began dateing it was pretty much and unspoken rule that guys paid for dates. Dating later, I observed it more common for women to pay sometimes or go dutch. Ant now in my 40's it is very common for women to pay and certainly to not expect for everything to be paid for.
Yeah, many guys are slacking off nowadays. They ask me to learn to operate the french fry machine, so they don't have to get a law degree themselves to be able to please their woman.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Actually I think its a pretty good deal. Sex a few times a week for what, a $100 bill once a month. I'm game.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:23 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I will agree that most men like to give, but I'd never expect or ask a man for money continually; he's not a cash register, he's a human being! However, if he knows anything about cars he might volunteer to change the oil for me, or if I needed new tires he might be able to call around and get a good deal. Those kinds of things are very nice and respectful. Yes, I can get the oil change done at Jiffy Lube for only $15, but if he's volunteering his time and labor, that says a lot about who he is! He's willing to make my life easier and less troublesome by helping. That's worth much more in the long run than someone who would just throw my money in my direction!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Evert freaking day this week my stbx has asked for money. Everyday the answer been the same. NOPE!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
I have to disagree that more and more women expect men to pay for everything.
If these people would say this was THEIR experience, it would be much more accurate. But that would imply they have to actually take a long hard look at themselves to find out why they have these experiences.

Quote:
Im over 45 and I have seen just the opposite. When I began dateing it was pretty much and unspoken rule that guys paid for dates. Dating later, I observed it more common for women to pay sometimes or go dutch. Ant now in my 40's it is very common for women to pay and certainly to not expect for everything to be paid for.
It is all over this board, I hear it offline as well. Some women are apprehensive or refuse to let a man pay their way on a date because they think men will expect sex. There is a reason they feel this way, of course, plenty of men think that way. But the only way to let them know they are not entitled is by not giving them any, simple as that.

There are men who would actually be offended if a lady were to pull out money. I know men like this. I would not want to offend him and it isn't because I get a free meal. So, I'll repay his kindness with a gift or a nice homecooked meal. I don't have to, nor do they expect me to. I wanted them to know they were appreciated. I do the same with my guy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I never have required a man to pay my bills, but I do echo the sentiments that if a man has the means and he knows a woman is struggling, he should help her. If my ex hadn't helped me, we would have broken up sooner than we did. And yes I would have done the same for him if I had the means.
Yes, within reason, of course.

Quote:
I can do bad by myself. If we are going to be in each other's lives we have to make each other's lives better or what's the point?
Yes, a relationship should enhance your life all the way around. All the griping about wanting a man who makes good money, or dating a man who makes more than I do, suggesting that we should date within or below our income bracket in order to be considered acceptable human beings is ludicrous. I worked hard to get to the place I am in. Why on earth would I be with someone who was unemployed or underemployed and compromise the quality of life I worked so hard for? Something beyond our control down the road when I am married is a different story, but I am not walking into that situation, now way, no how.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Basically the woman's role is to be good company! The man gets the priviledge to be with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
It doesn't appeal to you because you obviously can't afford it. To those that can, it's no big deal.
You're Ron's worst nightmare. I always wondered who he made these silly threads about.

Expecting, even wanting, a man to pay your bills is just insane. You're setting yourself up for all kinds of disaster by doing so. If you can't afford a cell phone, then get rid of it before you ask someone else to pay the bill. No one should feel obligated to be "generous" and pay someone else's bills...that's a bit manipulative if you ask me. "If you don't want to pay my bill, I won't date you?" Seriously?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Ok.........well, I say depend, you say leech

Sorry this has been your experience in the dating world and I won't argue that it's more prevalent with women than men. HOWEVER, you can't deny the increase in men (over the age of 18) which have become dependent or leeches as you say, off women. Perhaps you are immune to it but it is out there.
I didnt say it doesnt happen at all, I said it doesnt happen AS MUCH

Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:

So I suppose you're wondering whatever happened to the other $100?

I paid for 2 movie tickets $20 total, bught drinks and popcorn, another $28 (we both got coke and popcorn)

$25 in gas I bought (I was low that day, and she lived across town)

And the last $25 was spent at a bowling alley and arcade

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Evert freaking day this week my stbx has asked for money. Everyday the answer been the same. NOPE!
Stay strong I guess... I can't wait til my STBX is actually the EX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.