Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
What the appeal is?????

If you are a woman, you would date a good single father because he is more responsible. Woman are usually very accepting of someone else's kids. Go count the percentage of females that teach gradeschool. 98%.

If you are a single man with no kids, then you usually date a single mom because she is the hottest thing that ever gave you the time of day. Sadly she can therefore probably do better and should move on.
Why is a single father (or parent) somehow automatically more "responsible"? If you're in your 20s-early 30s, are you somehow less responsible because you got knocked up or knocked somebody up? What if you couldn't maintain a marriage? Not to mention I know a lot of parents who aren't more responsible just because they have kids. They should be the last people who should have be having kids.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Why is a single father (or parent) somehow automatically more "responsible"? If you're in your 20s-early 30s, are you somehow less responsible because you got knocked up or knocked somebody up? What if you couldn't maintain a marriage? Not to mention I know a lot of parents who aren't more responsible just because they have kids. They should be the last people who should have be having kids.
If the children are young and the parent is raising them alone, then if they are responsible, they aren't going to be out in nightclubs looking for dates. They have to be home taking care of their kids, kids who already have only one parent.

If there is co-parenting involved, then it may be different and the other parent is watching the kids which frees the other for prowling the clubs looking for new mates but still a responsible parent is not going to want to bring just anyone home.

And they shouldn't bring home someone who isn't very familiar with kids or who isn't overly fond of them. That right there is part of being a responsible parent. It would be more responsible to wait until the kids are on their own before getting back into the dating world. They need to put their kids first.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If the children are young and the parent is raising them alone, then if they are responsible, they aren't going to be out in nightclubs looking for dates. They have to be home taking care of their kids, kids who already have only one parent.

If there is co-parenting involved, then it may be different and the other parent is watching the kids which frees the other for prowling the clubs looking for new mates but still a responsible parent is not going to want to bring just anyone home.

And they shouldn't bring home someone who isn't very familiar with kids or who isn't overly fond of them. That right there is part of being a responsible parent. It would be more responsible to wait until the kids are on their own before getting back into the dating world. They need to put their kids first.
It doesn't make them "more" responsible. It just means they make different decisions.

I would question why they are single parents so young? (Even more so if they're alone). They weren't exactly responsible in process of making the baby (selecting the father or mother, maintaining the relationship, usually not in the best place career-wise).

Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
It is frustrating enough at times to deal with the person's ex-spouse. Children involved takes it to a whole different level. Nobody should be slammed or criticized for not wanting to deal with that. At least they are honest.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
It is frustrating enough at times to deal with the person's ex-spouse. Children involved takes it to a whole different level. Nobody should be slammed or criticized for not wanting to deal with that. At least they are honest.
Yeah. They don't want baby mama or baby daddy drama

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interscope2000 View Post
I was never trying to be down on you for being a single parent, just letting you know why we childless singles avoid you. Most of the ones that take offense on this blog ARE single parents, so....that speaks volumes.

My advise was to stop wasting your time on us and stick with those that are in the same boat to save many of you from the heartbreak of being dumped later. I am not talking just being dumped while dating, but even after you are married to the poor ******* that married you. The stats ae out there on this, so read them
What are ya, 12? Not every person who is single thinks like you. There are single people who date singles parents and got along great (my family for example), it's just that, they're more capable and more mature than you.

Get off your half of a soapbox.

Signed, a child-less person.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
What are ya, 12? Not every person who is single thinks like you. There are single people who date singles parents and got along great (my family for example), it's just that, they're more capable and more mature than you.

Get off your half of a soapbox.

Signed, a child-less person.
So getting knocked up or knocking someone up makes them capable and more mature than someone who is a single, stays in school, works to maintain their relationships (and picks people who won't run away from them), and works hard in getting themselves financially stable before they have a children? Not to mention the natural maturity and wisdom that an older person would have over a young, 20-something?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I don't like kids and certainly don't want them.
That's enough reason not to get involved with someone who has them.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
So getting knocked up or knocking someone up makes them capable and more mature than someone who is a single, stays in school, works to maintain their relationships (and picks people who won't run away from them), and works hard in getting themselves financially stable before they have a children? Not to mention the natural maturity and wisdom that an older person would have over a young, 20-something?
What the hell is your problem? Does this bother you this much? Did I say that single parents are more responsible than single people? Is your reading comprehension that jacked up?

Last edited by Saberai; 07-11-2011 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I am engaged to a single parent of a 2 year old. I wouldn't have it any other way, and before I met them I really was of the mindset that I didn't want kids.

However, I love them both very dearly. They have both been blessings in my life (hence why I am now engaged to her).

I can see where it isn't for everyone. Originally when we were dating, it was interesting to schedule and do things. Initially, she did not include her daughter, so everything was subject to last minute revisions. I had to be flexible, but my fiance made the best of it and worked hard to make sure things worked.

Even now, we take a lot of effort to not only do a lot of things with my soon to be step daughter, but also to make time to do things as a couple without her too so our personal relationship can grow too(whether it is a date out, or a movie in, or just talking without distractions).

It is more work, requiring more flexibility and understanding than dating a single who has no children. As such it might not be for everyone. However, I have found it great for me!

PS, no father currently in the picture which helps too. The father is her ex-husband, who has had nothing to do with either one since the divorce was finalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships