Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Wild. Never heard of this before today and I was old enough(18) to remember 1988. Although, in the way I lived in 1988, it's really no wonder my memory is limited.

Anyway!! I found this particularly hilarious(from your link):

After his "few weeks" had transpired, Whisenant finally saw his error. He claimed that he had made a slight miscalculation of one year because of a fluke in the Gregorian calendar. Jesus was actually going to return during Rosh Hashanah of 1989! Whisenant published his discovery in The Final Shout--Rapture Report 1989. "The time is short," he said. "Everything points to it." This publication was subsequently retitled The Final Shout--Rapture Report 1990 and has since been re-titled yearly as The Final Shout--Rapture Report 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 and so on. He continues to revise his date annually. (ETV p. 94)
What's that verse about the false prophets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 AM

218 posts, read 606,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
There are prophecies and oracles from around the world that all seem to point to December 21, 2012 as doomsday. The ancient Mayan Calendar, the medieval predictions of Merlin, the Book of Revelation and the Chinese oracle of the I Ching all point to this specific date as the end of civilization.
I remember this thread! Predictions can be entertaining and interesting, so I'll concede that at least. But Merlin? Oh me oh my. Can you say Puff the Magic Dragon?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Ok I don't follow along with anything that predicts the end of the world...but just in case....

Who wants to get together and have a big party on that day? I'll bring the tequilla!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok I don't follow along with anything that predicts the end of the world...but just in case....

Who wants to get together and have a big party on that day? I'll bring the tequilla!
Oh Irish...tequila and I have a history. Everything in moderation!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 PM

326 posts, read 470,843 times
from what I have read, the real end of the world will come in about 5 billion years. At that time, the sun will balloon into a red giant, swallowing the planets Mercury and possibly even Venus. The Earth may not exactly be engulfed, but according to many astronomers, the swollen red giant sun will raise daytime temps on Earth to approximately 2,500 to 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which would boil away all of the oceans and melt the crust into lava. The Sun will remain a red giant for approximately 500 million years, after which it will blow off its outer layers and become a white dwarf, and whatever remains of the Earth will freeze.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 AM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
December 21, YULE, is the Winter Solstice. The Christian Holiday, Christmas was picked to be on a date near this date so that they could try to convert Pagans to Christianity and keep a holiday close to theirs...

2012 the end? Who knows? However I am not going to stop living before that time.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,864 times
i honestly do not believe this to be true.... If God wanted us to know our date of death it would be stated and there wouldn't be any debates like this. We are not promised Tomorrow nor are we promised 5 minutes from now. everything is based on God's will.

Like Our prayers. we may pray to God like "Dear God, please help me win the lottery. Amen." Of course we believe everything is possible throught Christ who strengthens me, but it may not be God's will for you to win the lottery. God knows what will happen before we do. He knows your plans with that money. YOUR REAL PLANS not your front plans.

All we can do is pray, worship, and praise our Lord and stay true to our Christianity until our time comes.

Serving an AWESOME GOD,
Danielle

Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
All supersitious nonsense. The end for our planet will come billons of years from now. The end of humanity is largely in humanity's own hands, but totally unrelated to a bunch of "predictions". My fear is some of these doomsday religious types will attempt to make man's destruction a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
God may not want Christians who believe the Bible to be the true and living word to know the date of the end of the world, but maybe the Incas managed to figure it out without the help of the bible.

There is always one neat thing about ideas like this, they may be true, or they may not be true. All we can do is wait until after the date and evaluate what did or didn't happen.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
God may not want Christians who believe the Bible to be the true and living word to know the date of the end of the world, but maybe the Incas managed to figure it out without the help of the bible.

There is always one neat thing about ideas like this, they may be true, or they may not be true. All we can do is wait until after the date and evaluate what did or didn't happen.
I disagree. I think we can very easily dismiss it as pure nonsense and we should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality