Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wonder, if the Mayans were so damn smart, why they didn't foresee that their culture would crumble and their descendants would be sneaking over our borders to cut our lawns.
I wouldn't say the Mayans were so dumb, after all this civilization did last from 2600 B.C. to 1520 A.D. and I would say that was quite a long time and they did manage to build some of the largest pyramids in the world. Oh and by the way, there are still some 350,000 Mayans living in the Yucatán Peninsula today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I wouldn't say the Mayans were so dumb, after all this civilization did last from 2600 B.C. to 1520 A.D. and I would say that was quite a long time and they did manage to build some of the largest pyramids in the world. Oh and by the way, there are still some 350,000 Mayans living in the Yucatán Peninsula today.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You are quite right, of course.

Was just being facetious because of people once again fearing world's end based on the findings of an ancient civilization they can't fully understand.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Here's the much more important issue:

How to access the money of those who actually, truly, absolutely believe (or desperately WANT To BELIEVE...) in this fantasy.

If you do, then please... send me, by DM only of course, your Amex card Number, password, and security code from the back of the card, and the same info for any other cards you have. Send them to me by Dec. 1, 2012; I do want some time to have a bit of fun after all..

Of course your card payment demand will either not arrive until Jan, 2013, but as far as you're concerned, it will NEVER come. I also absolutely promise to make some very nice donations and Christmas gifts for that event, in your name, via my local Presbyterian Church (or, let's say, any denomination of your choice. It'll be your money after all...) before we all evaporate.

Hurry! I promise not to abuse your money, but then, what do you care, eh? I'll just be going directly to hell the next day, and you'll be laughing at me from heaven, right?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default December 21st, 2012

The new, updated Y2K.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM

I know of several of my First Nations friends who are patiently waiting for the inevitable demise of us arrogant and abusive white-eyes. "No more treaties!" Perhaps this is part of it; we'll all get so worked up we'll simply expire from some massive psychologically-induced heart attack, and it will all be left to the Apache, etc.

But... what would you do with all our trash and old Chevies, my spiritual brothers?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think the Mayans spent more time working out their calendar...
"Their calendar?"

Sorry, it never was their calendar. They didn't invent it, they borrowed it from much older cultures.

Every Meso-American culture, the Olmecs, Toltecs, Aztecs, Chimichecs, Incas, et al, used calendar rounds.

There are a total of five calendar rounds, each approxiamtely 5,125 years or so in length.

The total of the years of each of the five calendars adds up to about 25,580 years, which is more or less equivalent to the precession of the zodiac.

In English, that means that if you watched the Sun rise at the Spring Equinox year after year, you would notice that Sun would rise in a particular Zodiac, but that each year the Sun's position is slightly off.

After 72 years, this would amount to 1 Degree of Celestial Arc, and after 2,160 years, the Sun would rise in a new sign of the Zodiac.

In theory, after 25,920 years or so, the Sun would have completed a trip through the entire Zodiac and return to its "starting point." I say "in theory" because the speed of the Earth varies and the real time is probably closer to 25,580 years.

Each of the cultures who used calendar rounds referred to them as "Ages" and the Ages varied by culture.

For example, in some cultures, the Ages were the Age of the White-Haired Giants, the Age of the Red-Haired Giants and so on.

In other cultures, it was the Age of the White-Bearded Giants, the Age of the Red-Bearded Giants and so on.

The Age of Giants, the Age of Kings, the Age of Man and so on.

Other cultures associate the ages with other things, for example, the Age of Jaguar, the Age of Wind, the Age of Water and so on.

The key to understanding the calendar rounds is the Frog Glyph. The Frog Glyph represents birth and rebirth. The names and dates of rule for Mayan kings are preceded by the Frog Glyph, as are the prenomens, and the dates of birth anyone important in the culture.

Many rulers take prenomens, for example Octavian ruled for four years, before taking the name Augustus.

In any event, the calendar round does not predict the end of the world. It does, however happen to coincide with the end of the Milankovitch Cycles, and based on what we know, the Earth which is now closer to the Sun than ever in a more circular orbit, will begin drifting away into a more ellipsoidal orbit over the next 100,000 years before moving back into a more circular orbit (50,000 years out -- 50,000 years back in).

In some respects, it is the end of the Sun, as 15,000 years from now, Canada will be totally glaciated and Canadians will have to flee to the US to survive, and then a bunch of people will be running around singing O Canada and saying "a boat" when they really mean to say "about."

I hope that clears up some of the stupidity.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Mircea: thx for this informative post, but you might just calm down my potential fiscal donators, so stop it please. I'll even cut you in for part of the "take".

BTW, I used to be a Canuck, and will have you know that us Western Canadians do NOT say "aboot". That's the domain of those damned Easterners.

We used to "threaten" the US, when I lived there >20 yrs ago, by blustering that we'd cut off the US's supply of natural gas and hydro power, and then let 'em freeze in the dark!

Now, as a proud citizen Yanquee, I tell them that we'll just withdraw our vast but effective military umbrella, and they can start right in on their Chinese or Russian language and culture classes. The hatred of Americans in Canada is quite palpable, and even though I was raised in "Cancouver/Hongcouver", whenever I now visit with my US license plates, I' m almost always given the one-finger "salute". I go out of my way to be polite in traffic, but they just don't care...

And they call us bad-mannered. After we actually let them win that Olympic Hockey finale match, out of our endless humanitarian compassion!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times
RIFLE MAN YOU CAN HAVE MY MONEY AT THE END OF THIS AGE,WHICH WILL BE ANOTHER 432,000 YEARS,I'VE GOT ABOUT 20 QUID IN THE BANK AT THE MO,SO AFTER ALL THOSE YEARS THAT SHOULD SURMOUNT TO A FAIR BIT,ONLY THING IS IT COULD COST ABOUT 300,000,000 GOOGALS FOR A LOAF OF BREAD BYE THE TIME WE REACH THE END OF KALI-YUGA.

sorry 4 the big letters,i wasnt shouting or anything,just realized i was typing that way half way through and wasnt in the mood to go back and change it,now ive just realized that my appology took longer than it would have to just delete and start over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality