Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM

285 posts, read 535,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I don't see how one can get into Heaven if you don't believe God's Word. The Bible is very clear on the existance of both Heaven and hell.

Accepting Christ means believing Jesus is the Son of God. God's word, the Bible says it is how we are suppose to base our life. How could one be unbelieving of God's Word and believe in Jesus. Personally, I don't see how.
Ahh yes the old "gods word" argument, which basically says I am right and you are wrong.

Sadly most people to cry "gods word' are clueless as to what the bible really says, but very well versed on their church dogma

The bible IS NOT clear about heaven and hell at all, and what the bible does say about those places is contrary to what most church teach.

Sorry, but when you clean up the mistranslations in the bible, hell just disappears

You might try really studying for a change, that old churchy dogma is starting to stink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:59 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
Ahh yes the old "gods word" argument, which basically says I am right and you are wrong.

Sadly most people to cry "gods word' are clueless as to what the bible really says, but very well versed on their church dogma

The bible IS NOT clear about heaven and hell at all, and what the bible does say about those places is contrary to what most church teach.

Sorry, but when you clean up the mistranslations in the bible, hell just disappears

You might try really studying for a change, that old churchy dogma is starting to stink
ahteist...are you an athiest? I just find your post intersting coming from an antheist (that is if you are an atheist).
I agree with you on the mistranslations about hell...what about heaven? Is there a heaven?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM

47 posts, read 148,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have been watching a thread about the existance of hell and wondered what people thought about this question..I am talking about forever and ever hellfire, and damnation of a sinner as most people believe hell is. Your personal opinions as well as scripture for or against are welcome..
I don't believe that there is fire in Hell, and what the Bible really says about Hell was lost in translation. I think Hell is a dark and depressing place where people suffer by feeling the absence of God and His love.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Hell=The DMV on Fridays.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:38 PM

117 posts, read 235,099 times
Better yet if you believe in prayer then just ask

Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
Of course you can, the only prerequisite for entering Valhalla is to die in battle but Hel ain't so bad really.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyfan View Post
I don't believe that there is fire in Hell, and what the Bible really says about Hell was lost in translation. I think Hell is a dark and depressing place where people suffer by feeling the absence of God and His love.
What is Gods love and presence? Have you felt it for sure? How can you suffer by being deprived of something you havent experienced? But I agree with your answer

Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,602 times
Heaven and hell are equal ... Your actions in life decide one of them . There is no heaven without hell .

Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 AM

428 posts, read 1,630,804 times
You quoted your friend thus (ellipses and purple emphasis on your words mine):
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
"Jesus...was also the incarnate Lord. Jesus had supernatural powers to perform miracles, and was the only person ever in human history to be resurrected from the dead and transformed into a spirit-body that can operate both in the spiritual and physical worlds. This shows that he is divine. Nevertheless, if a person follows another spiritual teacher such as Buddha, Gandhi, or whoever else who teaches a similar philosophy as Jesus, one could achieve significant spiritual growth. ...But there is great power in Jesus that is not to be found in any ordinary human being, because Jesus was more than just a man. That is one reason why it is preferable to follow Jesus."
I can see why you think Jesus is the guy to follow, but is it not a little patronizing to say "Hey, somebody who follows Buddha can gain a little spiritual growth, but sad to say, he's still goin' to hell"? Buddhists believe not in hell, but in karma, reincarnation and the possibility of gaining liberation from the cycle of suffering by reaching nirvana. They equate this with being fully awake--thus someone who has attained this through study and meditation can see that the heaven/hell dichotomy is a false creation of man to deal with the good/evil sides of human nature. These are like sides of a coin, and if you could see both sides at once you would see through the "separateness" to the Truth, which lies beyond all dichotomies and paradox.

Heaven/Hell is a construct of humankind, and a Buddhist would see it as such. So, although Buddhist writers have agreed with many of Jesus's teachings and have drawn parallels, they do not believe the dogma, and would not have any reason to follow Jesus preferentially.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM

47 posts, read 148,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
What is Gods love and presence? Have you felt it for sure? How can you suffer by being deprived of something you havent experienced? But I agree with your answer
You have a really good point. I guess hell wouldn't be bad for an atheist if hell is the absence of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality