Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

since you dont believe in it you will not know if you are there. lots of people are in it now around us but they dont know it, they think they are about to kick into the disneyland part any minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Jesus clear tells you in the bilbe how to get to heaven. He never says that you have to beleive in hell either.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLawless View Post
reading through this thread i found some points very interesting. I personally do not have a religion. by this i do not mean i am atheist. i'm merely saying that i have never chosen one because i have not found one that i feel comfortable with. i have a short story and a question for all of you.

one of my best friends was molested at the age of 6 by her 11 year old next door neighbor. 12 years later she is still troubled, depressed, and violated by the event. everytime she thinks of it she bursts out in tears. she has gotten into heavy drugs, drinking, and has become overly sexual because of it. she decided to confront him to help resolve this. when she did he merely said "well i've accepted jesus as my savior and repented" and past that he had no emotion or regret or guilt of what he did to her.

my thought was oh so you did something deliberately horrible, ruined a girls life, and you'll be fine cause you repented? yeah okay that sound fair... soo does this guy get to go to heaven just because he repented? that sounds terribly unfair

any thoughts are appreciated.

To start out, hi everyone. I am new to the Religion forum, but I have enjoyed reading through some of this stuff. I am a Christian, and try to take it back to what the Bible says (I want to be as nonreligious of a Christian as possible). CLawless, I can't say if this guy will go to Heaven or not, I don't think anyone can really make that kind of judgement about another person - that is between him and God. Even if he has repented and is straight with God, I would be worried if he has no regret. Even if you are forgiven, you have to live with and accept the consequences of your actions. Just because he has prayed doesn't get rid of the responsiblity he has to other people right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
Ahh yes the old "gods word" argument, which basically says I am right and you are wrong.

Sadly most people to cry "gods word' are clueless as to what the bible really says, but very well versed on their church dogma

The bible IS NOT clear about heaven and hell at all, and what the bible does say about those places is contrary to what most church teach.

Sorry, but when you clean up the mistranslations in the bible, hell just disappears

You might try really studying for a change, that old churchy dogma is starting to stink

ahteist2, I don't claim to be a scholar at all. Instead of throwing around comments like the one in bold, why don't you educate us?

I am always open to learning more. Can you help me out and give some examples of why this is true?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Clawless, it sounds like this person has a ways to go if he has no emotion or regret over what he did to her. God knows if he truly repented. Hopefully he did and in time and in this life he will realize all of the pain and suffering that she is going through because of his actions and he will regret it. The apostle Paul who called himself the chiefest of sinners persecuted Christians and regretted his actions. He realized God's amazing grace. But I believe that God will take care of whatever is going on in this person's heart and bring all things to light, bring complete healing for everyone involved. God's forgiveness is for everyone because we all are sinners, and Jesus died for all of us. We are all in the same position without Jesus Christ, no matter what the sin is, so I do believe that if someone really repents and returns to God, then he has a relationship with God. God bless.
i appreciate the reply and i thank you for respecting our difference in religious beliefs as there are some very... willful people which can be out of a good place but comes off abrasive. (my ex boyfriend tryed to convert me to catholicism)

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,896 times
its refreshing how down to earth you are despite how religious you are. thanks for the reply

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have been watching a thread about the existance of hell and wondered what people thought about this question..I am talking about forever and ever hellfire, and damnation of a sinner as most people believe hell is. Your personal opinions as well as scripture for or against are welcome..
I haven't had time to read this entire thread. I'm not sure how you can believe in heaven and not hell. That's like believing in up and not down. It doesn't make sense.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM

117 posts, read 235,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Jesus clear tells you in the bilbe how to get to heaven. He never says that you have to beleive in hell either.
I agree, If you were faced with the truth im sure you would except it
I dont think it has any baering on you going to Heaven, alot of people arent sure I wasnt but now I am, so I dont hold it against anyone for having there doughts.

Ask in prayer if you really want to know if hell exists

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
I haven't had time to read this entire thread. I'm not sure how you can believe in heaven and not hell. That's like believing in up and not down. It doesn't make sense.
I believe that heaven exists but I believe that the important thing is that we are reconciled to God. Having the right relationship with God, communing with Him, being in the right with Him, is the most important thing. I believe that many will experience hell and loss, torment because of their actions but I don't believe that hell is eternal or everlasting. I don't believe that the scriptures support eternal hell and I don't believe that you must believe in eternal hell in order to be reconciled to God or to experience salvation. God bless.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:28 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
its refreshing how down to earth you are despite how religious you are. thanks for the reply
You're welcome, Clawless, hope it made sense God bless.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that heaven exists but I believe that the important thing is that we are reconciled to God. Having the right relationship with God, communing with Him, being in the right with Him, is the most important thing. I believe that many will experience hell and loss, torment because of their actions but I don't believe that hell is eternal or everlasting. I don't believe that the scriptures support eternal hell and I don't believe that you must believe in eternal hell in order to be reconciled to God or to experience salvation. God bless.
"Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels" . . . And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 25:41, 46
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality