Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
PT, now, now, don't bash the Maccabees
Not me........wouldn't dream of it..

Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Heh heh, and what do the researchers do with the rats when the experiment is over? "You have outlived your usefulness. Good bye."
don't you know, the experiment is going to end on 12/21/12....

Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. As far as I know - I've never bashed anyone. Now - others may see things differently but it has never been my intention to bash anyone. I believe that we are all entitled to our own beliefs - whatever they may be. Do I tend to gravitate towards people that don't think I'm wicked, the Devil's Disciple, the Devil's child, evil, lost, selfish, arrogant, etc. - well, yes. Do I tend to gravitate towards people that don't believe that I will be tormented in hell for all eternity - well, yes. Just for the record - these are all things that I have been told here on C-D. By Christians. But not all Christians - just some. Some Christians on C-D I aboslutely adore! People are people. There are good and bad people in every religion and non religion.
As for Jazzymom - she is friends with some of the Christians on this forum, too. I know because we participate in a lot of the same threads.
As for the OP - honestly, it just sounds like someone wanting to start a fight. I know it said it was a serious question - but it seems more like it was - I seriously want to lash out at people so I'm going to start a thread and then insult everyone and tell them they are stupid.
If you want to stop bashing - it's best not to be guilty of it yourself! Just a suggestion!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
I never said "you Jews". I also never generlized or stereotyped Jews or anybody. Stop lying to advance your agenda. As for the accusations of personal attacks, I single you out because you made the posts that show ignorance of Christianity. If you don't like it that's too bad, but you are proving the point of the thread - that Christians as a whole are stereotyped and generalized in worse ways thAn most if not all religions around here.
Um... yeah... I think you need to face reality if you think that Christians as a whole are stereotyped and generalized in worse ways than most if not all religions around here. Seriously. Many, many people think all Muslims are terrorists. Many people think all Jews are cheap. Many people think atheists are immoral and are going to hell.
I think you are taking it all personally because you happen to be Christian. I mean - it makes sense - we usually notice things that offend us personally much more than things that are offensive to others.
But like it has been stated before - two wrongs don't make a right. If you want to educate people as to how great Christians can be - the best way is to be the best Christian you can be. Throwing stones at the people that you are accusing of throwing stones doesn't really solve anything.
And I still can't figure out why you are being sooooo cruel to Jazzymom. Seriously.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yes we would, about our rights being violated and to counter protest the people protesting who are just pushing their beliefs onto others.
I get that you see yourself as a group of put upon victims. However most atheists I've known live pretty solid middle-class lives and hate crimes against atheists are rare. Here, at this forum, atheists are the majority.

Most of the world's atheists don't live in the Deep South. I have no idea why the atheists here all seem to be from, or claim to be from, the Deep South or the Third World parts of the Caribbean or some other place that is tough on atheists. I just don't think this is standard. In my little mostly Catholic town we tried to work with the atheist by and large. Maybe we unintentionally insulted him at times, but if I was in a place that's majority non-Catholic I would anticipate some lack of understanding or ignorance about my faith.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Every time I have found myself in a conversation with a Christian it always ended up with them going into prosletyse mode. So I now I do not even discuss religion with anyone I know is a Christian.
Well that's unfortunate that that happened. Is it because they see you as a former Christian? (Are you a former Christian even, I can't remember) Because generally I think most Christians are actually uncomfortable proselytizing Jews. I know my little sister used to get the advice of "tell people your Jewish" when Christian proselytizers entered her area. Many Christians really do feel so bad about past persecutions we don't do anything that even could sound like proselytizing to Jews. I think for many denominations we're almost "non-proselytizing to the point of panic" when it comes to Jewish people.

Also maybe most people here do come from the Deep South or Bible Belt, but if so why is that? I don't think most of the US population lives there and many of us aren't even from the US. Are atheists and non-Christians from that area just more motivated to vent online?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Many, many people think all Muslims are terrorists. Many people think all Jews are cheap. Many people think atheists are immoral and are going to hell.
And many people think Indians are awsome, which of course we are.

BigBlu, you know it's perfectly fine to say your peace concerning the generalizing of Christians and we "get it". But when things turn personal it turns into something else. Many of us get sarcastic with others that we get into regular debates with, but it is understood as not being "personal" because we know each other in the internet board sense. Jazzymom is a regular here and a friend to many including me. Many agree with her on some things; others do not and that's okay. That goes for everyone here. But when it turns into singling out, I can tell you that the mods won't let that stand nor should they.

I hope that you can come back and join this often volatile internet community in a good way.

I think this thread has run its course. Cueing June or Miss Blue in 3.....2.....1...

Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I see where you are going - the race baiting path. I'm pointing out jazzys posts because she says "you Christians" not because she's Jewish
well, she's not the only one here that's made that statement and it would appear that you are singling her out just for the reason that she's Jewish, and you'll notice I use the word appear, and it has nothing to do with race, although it could be assumed that because she believes in Judaism that she's Jewish which sometimes is not necessarily the case and that's just for clarification purposes. I would suggest that you take the time and read through many of the other post and threads before making such broad statements and singling someone out because of a couple words that were said not only by her but by others also.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm pointing out how people generalize about Christians like it's no big deal. Jazzy engaged in the debate and had an easy to find example as she posts "you Christians" when saying something negative. It's an easy example of stereotyping. And look, I know other religions are bashed but Christianity seems to take it on the chin a lot despite the fact that christianity is so different within itself.
Maybe you don't know that much about other religions - but I can assure you that nearly all religions have many, many different denominations, sects, beliefs, etc. Most religions have believers whose beliefs run the gamut. Christianity is not distinct in any way from other religions in this respect.
People generalize about all religions. I'm sorry that this has upset you so much that you are lashing out at others. But like the others have said - personal attacks are really uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality