Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
Because not all Christians "sell" their religion. So by bashing "Christians" as a whole, folks are bashing many denominations that don't engage in any of the nasty behaviors that people here grouse about (rightfully so). Separate out the Fundies and Evangels and I have no issue since the stereotyping will cease.
Nobody here bashes Christians as a whole....we are particularly selective in those we bash and it is mainly those who attempt to convert by guilt and condemnation...and especially the ones who like to tell us we're going to hell for not believing just like they do. For goodness sakes...they tell other Christians the very same thing...because they don't adhere to the exact same doctrine and dogma as them.

In all sincereity, you need to spend some time on the Christian boards and you will see exactly what I am referring to. I have lots of Christian friends...and they are not whack jobs like some of the posters on the Christian board...they live and let live and have no hidden agenda for reconverting me back to Christianity...because they know they would be wasting their time anyway.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 10-07-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM

44 posts, read 33,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Really? Where am I bashing all christians? Oh right, I'm not. You just enjoy wallowing in your martyr complex so much that you need a handy excuse to do so.
This thread isn't about YOU it's about the board in general. You responded as if I were trying to "convert" you, so I responded about how all Christians are bashed. Please understand the context before replying, it makes this process quite tedious.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, because it doesn't change in the slightest the way I live my life. My life is dedicated to existing. I don't really care what happens in this world, and if there isn't a next one, then it doesn't matter. But if there is, and the choice is between punishment and reward, I'd prefer reward.
So are you honestly saying (remember now that baby Jesus is watching you) that you have never, ever wanted to do something in your life but didn't do it because you were afraid of the 'afterlife' consequences'?

Quote:
How does this god know which one I've been "worshipping" when I don't even know?
Huh??

Well in the same way that the 'god' that you presently worship knows what you're up to!!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 33,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
And those Christians and Muslims who have been bigoted and hateful towards others will find what they dish out being sent right back at them. But if you go back and read the other posts you will see that it is only the Christians and Muslims who seem to think its ok to dish it out then get all upset and yell that they are being unfairly attacked when they get less then nice responses.

You will not find ugly posts coming from others who are religious but feel their path is private, and who don't feel the world needs to be a part of their faith tradition.

The folks on the receiving end are all of us who are either non religious or are part of the minority religions.
And not all Christian denominations make ugly posts either. Yet you say it's only the "Christians and Muslims". Do you get it yet? Not all Christians are the same, despite your attempts to paint all Christians with the same brush.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So are you honestly saying (remember now that baby Jesus is watching you) that you have never, ever wanted to do something in your life but didn't do it because you were afraid of the 'afterlife' consequences'?

Huh??

Well in the same way that the 'god' that you presently worship knows what you're up to!!
Assuming there's only one God, it's not like we're on a first name basis or anything. And no, I have no problem with continuing to "sin". Because if I'm forgiven, then I'm forgiven, right? No need for me to make any changes. As I've posted before, I'm only human.

Then again, I don't see this life as mattering, since it's basically short in terms of eternity, so I don't really want much.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It's not. But some people just never grok that concept.
That is such a funny word. I have to admit that I had never heard it before until I started hanging around this board. The first time I heard it I thought the poster was being funny and I made some 'caveman named grok" reference to it....then I looked it up. It's still a funny word to me though.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
No I do not. So if you had bad relations with African Americans you'd stereotype them?
No, because the majority I have come in contact with have never had issues with me or vice versa. Now if they are going to use their beliefs to try to push it on me, or this country and try to dictate how others should live, then yes I would.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times

Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Your clip:

I'm pro-abortion. Pro death penalty. Pro euthanasia.

I have no problem with homosexuals or their unions/relationships. Has no impact on me personally.

I want religion kept private. Definitely not in schools or government.

If I don't like it, I don't look. I really don't care for "art" in any fashion at all. So it's a picture of a bunch of fruit in a bowl--big deal.

I don't go out in the real world--and the Internet isn't the real world--and talk about my religious beliefs, but every year for the last four years, I've been hearing about the evil Catholics, and how the Christians stole Christmas from my room mate--she should keep that crap to herself. I don't talk about God with her. I just try to stay the heck away from her--and from everyone else too, don't get me wrong. I don't care whether a person is religious or anti-religious, I don't really want to be around them.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
And not all Christian denominations make ugly posts either. Yet you say it's only the "Christians and Muslims". Do you get it yet? Not all Christians are the same, despite your attempts to paint all Christians with the same brush.
I am sure not all Christians are the same, what would you have us do, list individually their names, or add on a long disclaimer every time we talk about Christians (about how not all Christians are the same).

I am not like some atheists I know, I don't have bumper stickers or t-shirts, for the most part i keep quite in public about it, don't make a fuss to often, and I keep quite when my Christian friends go on their anti this or that rants no matter how disgusting.Yet I have to deal with the atheists are sinners, going to hell, on and on and on and we should remain quite when people try to convert me, atheists are the minority blah blah. Christians get their panties in a wad when a fuss about them is made and start slinging the insults. It is predictable, as you did as well, so why shouldn't we lump you all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality