Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
I haven't had a Christian come to my door either. I've never been told I'm going to hell or anyone who isn't Christian is going to hell. I have, however, experienced first hand some Jewish ethnocentrism. However I don't judge a religion, I judge the person. I just find it interesting that people's opinions here are that Christians are so bad and nobody else is.

Maybe it's a product of where I live? (northeast)
Me thinks if you spent some time in the South....you'd have a completely different opinion....they come to my door regularly, trying to entice me into their church and then waste no time condemning me to the fiery pit when I unequivocally let them know that I am Agnostic and have absolutely no desire to worship their god.

Oh and BTW....if you spend any amount of time in this forum...you will regularly see your Christians buddies, not only judging others who don't believe like they do, but their fellow Christians as well. I don't believe a day has gone by on this forum that I haven't seem someone (I could name names...but what's the point) being condemned to hell...it's a regular occurrence here.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM

44 posts, read 33,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Ok Mercury, pass the tissues this way because i too have tears of laughter...
So it's funny to stereotype Christians, despite the fact they the different denominations are different in a myriad of ways?

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My major reason for "believing" is to avoid a potential punishment. If there is no God, then I haven't lost a thing.
Yes you have. You've dedicated your life to a lie.....and of course, what if there is a god and it's not the one you've been worshipping. What ya gonna do then buddy?

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh really? The definition of 'bigot' is one who is intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or religion. That doesn't fit, because I don't care what you want to believe as long as you don't try to force it on me. As I've said before:

Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of yours. Just don't go waving it around in public and don't try shoving it down my throat.

You go waving that thing in my face, it's going to get slapped. I don't care what belief-system it's attached to.

You have agreement here.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You have agreement here.
That makes you a bigot as well, since you are intolerant of all Christians (since this is the term you use) despite that fact that Christians are very different. Shame on you.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
If your sad analogy were correct, you would slap all penis's because 1 male showed you his. It's fine to bash a deserving group of people, but don't bash everyone because you aren't intelligent enough (or are simply intellectually lazy) to tell the difference.

Mercury said: You go waving that thing in my face, it's going to get slapped. I don't care what belief-system it's attached to.

I would guess it means slap the one, not all of them.....Much less a whole religion, just the one...

Again with the insults....

Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Mercury said: You go waving that thing in my face, it's going to get slapped. I don't care what belief-system it's attached to.

I would guess it means slap the one, not all of them.....Much less a whole religion, just the one...

Again with the insults....
Except, if you actually understood the context, mercury got one waved in her faced and slaps them all i.e.: some Christian denominations try to "sell" their religions and now all Christians are bashed. Do you understand now?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes you have. You've dedicated your life to a lie.
No, because it doesn't change in the slightest the way I live my life. My life is dedicated to existing. I don't really care what happens in this world, and if there isn't a next one, then it doesn't matter. But if there is, and the choice is between punishment and reward, I'd prefer reward.

It isn't as if I've become more moral than I'd be ordinarily.

How does this god know which one I've been "worshipping" when I don't even know? I've said I don't read the Bible, and I don't attend services. I haven't done so in over 4 years.

I think if you added up the total time I've gone to church, it would probably total less than a dozen years, with most of that being as a youth, dragged there by my parents.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses aren't your typical Christians. I haven't seen anyone else as "in your face" as them.

I did see something rather odd to me, but my room mate says they weren't Jehovah's Witnesses. Two young men, on bicycles, both wearing white shirts with ties. I am certain they were proselytizing, spreading their word, but they've never actually accosted me. Perhaps they've come to my door--but since I never answer my door, I can't say for certain.
They are JW's...it is some type of ritual the young men have to endure for an entire year. I live AL and we regularly see them here riding their bikes and going door to door, passing out their literature. They've been to my home on several occassions.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Truth, that statement there. OMG I just complimented a Jew! I take it all back.

See how that works LittleBlue?

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality