Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
This is Ignorant (capital I), and I respond to snide remarks in kind.
How exactly is it ignorant? Dont like being called out? You come on here with what seems like a troll type post, acting sincere, and immediately start with the typical christian insults. The only one acting unintelligent and uneducated is you.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

44 posts, read 33,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
How exactly is it ignorant? Dont like being called out? You come on here with what seems like a troll type post, acting sincere, and immediately start with the typical christian insults. The only one acting unintelligent and uneducated is you.
Your post is ignorant because not all Christians are the same. That's a disgusting generalization. And yes, those stereotyping all Christians are unintelligent or uneducated. There are many denominations and to say "you all read the same book" is very ignorant and very intellectually lazy. Only when bashing Christians would someone get away with such a statement.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
The same can be said for Christianity, no?
Well it depends. I think most Christianity at least believes in evangelizing even if it doesn't believe in proselytizing. I think the difference being evangelizing is about spreading a message and the person can do with it what they wish, proselytizing is more focused on conversion.

As I understand it Hindus on the whole don't necessarily care if I hear about Rama or Vishnu or not. If I want to hear about it that's nice, but if I go my life without hearing it that's also fine. They don't really need to tell me about it.

Most Christian denominations teach that you should at least defend the faith when attacked and probably tell others why you believe. I would say most atheists here also believe they should defend their lack of faith when attacked and probably tell others why they don't believe. So it's probably most natural that the most evangelizing groups ("New Atheists", Evangelical Protestants, Muslims) are the ones who talk the most here.

Still it's true that some Christian denominations are much less evangelizing than others. Most "Mainline" Protestants (Lutherans, Methodists, Congregationalists), Greek Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, and I believe Mennonites rarely evangelize. The Primitive Baptists, the Amish, and the Knanaya of India outright forbid evangelizing. So those groups are rarely part of the discussion, although by insulting Christianity one is insulting them by implication. Catholics are mixed. Traditionalist Catholics, the type who reject Vatican II, I think are somewhat proselytizing. Catholics who are themselves converts are sometimes fairly proselytizing/evangelizing. I'd say the majority of Catholics are not evangelizing though, but will defend their faith if attacked.

For the record I am Catholic. And although I don't think of myself as evangelizing if evangelizing is just limited to saying what you feel I might be evangelical and I don't mind too much if people are that form of evangelical to me. I don't entirely get the deal on why that would even bother a person. If someone says I will burn for not accepting Allah, proselytizing, I can see why that's annoying. (Although even then what they think really is more about them than I) Anyway if the person instead "evangelizes" for Allah, just tells me how great Islam has been for them without pressing on what I should do, I don't see why I can't just smile and say "that's nice for you so long as you respect that I'm not interested." It's like if someone offered me a beer. I don't drink beer ever, maybe even disapprove of drunkenness a little, but I wouldn't necessarily wig out on them about it. A certain kind of atheist just seems to wig out at even the most gentle non-pressure "evangelizing." The kind that's "I'm a Christian and Christians have done great things for me, but the choice is yours and no punishment will happen either way" evangelizing.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-07-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 AM

276 posts, read 477,074 times
As an atheist, I find all religions to be hideously immoral.

With that said, there are two Angry Sky God religions that are a direct threat to my way of life. You know the two I'm talking about.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Oh the famous insults, ad you wonder why we have issues with Christians, I don't care WHAT denomination you are, still a Christian, still read the same book.
It isn't the book that makes a person a Christian, however. I've never looked at that book, never felt the need.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Your post is ignorant because not all Christians are the same. That's a disgusting generalization. And yes, those stereotyping all Christians are unintelligent or uneducated. There are many denominations and to say "you all read the same book" is very ignorant and very intellectually lazy. Only when bashing Christians would someone get away with such a statement.
So you DONT read or follow the bible? That would be a new one. Unless you are Mormon and follow your own little scripts.
No it is not a disgusting generalization, it is what happens, especially here. What is ignorant is to come on here complaining as to why Christians are being attacked without doing some serious reading here on the forums. I have been all over, this is the majority of Christians I have dealt with, especially when they find out that I am an atheist married to a man that family is still semi-practicing Pagan's. Just when I think I have met a nice Christian, they open their mouth and say something detestable. So show me some actually good Christians, and maybe I will change my mind.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
So you DONT read or follow the bible?
No, not really. I don't read it, and I see no reason to try to be better than other people or spread "the message".

I'm fine if I get the reward and everyone else gets the punishment. My major reason for "believing" is to avoid a potential punishment. If there is no God, then I haven't lost a thing.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
So you DONT read or follow the bible? That would be a new one. Unless you are Mormon and follow your own little scripts.
No it is not a disgusting generalization, it is what happens, especially here. What is ignorant is to come on here complaining as to why Christians are being attacked without doing some serious reading here on the forums. I have been all over, this is the majority of Christians I have dealt with, especially when they find out that I am an atheist married to a man that family is still semi-practicing Pagan's. Just when I think I have met a nice Christian, they open their mouth and say something detestable. So show me some actually good Christians, and maybe I will change my mind.
Do you stereotype based on race and gender the way you do with religion?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It isn't the book that makes a person a Christian, however. I've never looked at that book, never felt the need.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
This is a 100% serious question. It seems that some of you go to no end (even troll) to bash Christians, but the same animousity doesn't exist for any other religion, in particular Judaism. I've seen posts where people say how they hate seeing the manger up in public places, yet they never mention the menorah. I find this obvious focused hatred quite odd and would like to know what that is.

Is it because many of the vocal atheists were once Christians, so they attack what they know?

This is a 100% serious answer to your question. Christians and Muslims feel they have the only truth and everyone else ought to convert to their religions or face eternal hell.

You have not been on this city-data but for a day it looks like so before you complain maybe you ought to take a look at the posts attacking non believers.

And public places are not a place for anything religious, no matter what the religion.

You seem to be particular in singling out Judaism......But there are many other religions too.

But only Christianity and Islam have been hateful towards others on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality